No religion

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
24-04-2010, 11:52 PM

RE: No religion
hmm i was a bit late with giving the answer i see. sorry took some time to translate the next one. and yeah it sounds like detective conan also known as case closed. the manga where the anime was based on, onemanga.com you can read it there for free if you want. i read the first 300 chapers of about 600 at the time but got boring reading the cases non stop too monotone and lacking progress in the central story.
Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2010, 11:54 PM
I only read Fullmetal Alchemist. The others just don't have enough story; Fullmetal actually has a plot, and an interesting one at that.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2010, 11:54 PM

(24-04-2010 11:50 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Something about this strikes me as physically impossible.

Hey, it was a hard piece of ice okay?

I'm sorry, thank you for the effort, but the following really is too degraded for me to draw serious conclusions from it.

a) soldier machielsen commands soldier muskus but not conversely
b) both soldiers muskus command each other not mutually / two way
c) soldier houben is not commanded by the soldiers muskus
d) soldier laurier commands, and he get's commanded, but not by soldier houben or soldiers muskus
e) soldier riemer sticks to command hierarchy

FMA is easily one of the better mangas/animes of today. Recently I've been reading 'The Breaker' which I have been thoroughly enjoying.
24-04-2010, 11:55 PM

25-04-2010, 07:01 AM
Just a footnote:

For shits and giggles, I took the IQ test that unbeliever took, just to see what it said. The test is definitely flawed. It said my IQ is 142. Trust me, my IQ IS NOT 142! LOL.

All this talk about IQ has me concerned. Has the number on a test become more important than actual knowledge. I am talking about knowledge that applies to every day living. To survival. The stuff that counts when you need to accomplish the basics of living without the aid of "the masses".

My question is this: Who among you can plant a garden that will provide enough food to keep you alive year round? Can you build a shelter from nature alone? Do you have a craft or skill, that without it, people would not only want for it, but suffer without it?

These are things to brag about. To be proud of. The things that I will say, "Hey. Good for you. You really contribute something!" I'm not singling anyone out here. Its just that these IQs that people are talking about are so irrelevant when it comes to real life. ("Panfluteguy" comes to mind)

...but hell, what do I know?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
25-04-2010, 09:53 AM

Ironically, I became engaged in discussion with a friend of mine, over the very same thing, and she held a similar viewpoint as you it seems; that is of survival intelligence.

A shorthanded version of the dialogue on my end was this:

The world has changed, and continues to change. There are stable environments around today, that never existed upon earth before; as such, organisms will adapt to fill in those niches. For instance, the programmer. Tell me how could a programmer possibly exist outside of the unique environment that we find them in? The skills that they possess in eras past would not only have been useless, but would also have been entirely impractical for their survival. Yet it works today.

In eras past almost every member of a group would need to be dedicated to the furtherance of their immediate survival. Today, it has been estimated that only 2% of the entire American population need concern itself with food production. As the advancement of technology and knowledge has enabled the generations of today a continuously easier survival rate.

A blood infection in the past would have almost certainly killed someone. Now though, medical advancements means that a blood infection is easy to treat.

What I am getting at here, is that the need to know things, on an individual level, is no longer necessary. It now becomes practical, indeed required, to focus ones knowledge and developed skills, upon a given subject.

So, to get back to your question, about knowledge and survival. For the greater whole of society, such knowledge will never truly be necessary. As evidenced by the fact that an individual, such as a programmer, may entirely develop a unique skill set, and not only survives, but thrives; possibly without even knowing where the food and other necessities, as an organism, they require to live, comes from.

Incidentally, I just like 'knowledge' in general, and I can't resist learning new things. As such I have taught myself, and been taught, a wide array of mundane skills; from growing food, to shoe construction, basket weaving, to kayak making, how to make cheese, and forage for food, how to set snares, and start a fire while raining and with damp kindling, with a few pieces of wood. Actually, when I think about it, I know how to do many of these things on multiple tiers of development. Will I ever need to use this knowledge and acquired skills? It is very unlikely; why did I learn it? Mostly just because.
25-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I haven't read Akumetsu, but I tried Death Note and found that it wasn't for me. The art got on my nerves.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
25-04-2010, 11:44 AM

Akumetsu, is completed, has a rather interesting story, and is fairly bloody.
25-04-2010, 01:42 PM

(25-04-2010 11:18 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I haven't read Akumetsu, but I tried Death Note and found that it wasn't for me. The art got on my nerves.

i dont really know whats wrong with the art in deathnote as i think its a thousand times better than other manga i've seen especially in the shoujo genre seriously vague outlining of panels and flowers everywhere. this is quite well drawn and easy to read. but if you dont like it you can try the anime i did. and then decided to read the manga but thought it was boring cuas i already knew the story.

and keep in mind mangas start out boring just as any other book
25-04-2010, 01:56 PM
The Death Note art just seems overexaggerated to me. Most manga uses fairly simple art, but this just seems like something done by a guy on speed with nothing else to do. He adds in lines that aren't necessary, and pictures just seem cluttered.