No religion

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
25-04-2010, 02:23 PM

RE: No religion
okay i admit it is a bit dramatic but that isnt unlike any other manga i've seen. try reading a shoujo manga it will piss you off so much you will beg for deathnote

but taste differs and i accept that. but a heads up for those interested in my secularization bit i''m just about done outlining what it is but the criticisms still need to be written and i'm already at608 words in word. and i wanna do something fun now so i'm gonna watch numb3rs just love that math. i wont post it till tomorrow or somewhere during the week. depending on my time i do still have my finals coming up. i hate being a graduating student.
Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2010, 02:41 PM
(25-04-2010 02:23 PM)ulfark Wrote:  okay i admit it is a bit dramatic but that isnt unlike any other manga i've seen. try reading a shoujo manga it will piss you off so much you will beg for deathnote

No, thanks. I'm perfectly happy with my western art. Give me The Dark Knight Returns over shoujo any day.

Quote:but taste differs and i accept that.

Yep, that's the thing. I prefer stuff with a serious plot to it. Fullmetal Alchemist has a much, much more substantial and complex plot than any other Japanese production I have seen. Death Note has a plot on that level, but I can't stand the art from it.
On a side note, Dragon Ball Z used to - in its very early days - be very well-written, but after the end of the Frieza saga the author just stopped caring. The story up until the debut of the androids was actually very well-done, even though the art needed a little work. He had the opposite problem of Death Note - he didn't put enough effort into the sketches, so his characters constantly changed proportions and body styles mid-scene. By the time he got that fixed, the story had gone down the tubes.
Ah, well. To each their own - and my own is The Killing Joke. *returns to reading*

EDIT: I'm not a big reader of serialized comics, as much as the above makes me look like one. I wouldn't buy an issue of most comics to save my life - in fact, I never have. I do read the special events sometimes, though. The Killing Joke was one of those: a Batman issue written by Alan Moore, creator of Watchmen. I also read The Dark Knight Returns, which is hailed as either the best or the second-best comic ever written (the only one competing with it is Watchmen). The other one I read was Knightfall, a Batman story arc which introduced Bane: it's considered the best story arc written for the series.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-04-2010, 02:46 PM

I think Sketchbook is a great manga. ^_^
30-04-2010, 11:45 PM

(25-04-2010 07:01 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Just a footnote:

For shits and giggles, I took the IQ test that unbeliever took, just to see what it said. The test is definitely flawed. It said my IQ is 142. Trust me, my IQ IS NOT 142! LOL.

All this talk about IQ has me concerned. Has the number on a test become more important than actual knowledge. I am talking about knowledge that applies to every day living. To survival. The stuff that counts when you need to accomplish the basics of living without the aid of "the masses".

My question is this: Who among you can plant a garden that will provide enough food to keep you alive year round? Can you build a shelter from nature alone? Do you have a craft or skill, that without it, people would not only want for it, but suffer without it?

These are things to brag about. To be proud of. The things that I will say, "Hey. Good for you. You really contribute something!" I'm not singling anyone out here. Its just that these IQs that people are talking about are so irrelevant when it comes to real life. ("Panfluteguy" comes to mind)

...but hell, what do I know?

Hello Stark Raving,

What do you know? Regarding me, apparently not much.

In my travels around the world, with a pack on my back and a flute in my hand, I regularly utilized such apparently worthless everyday skills such as languages, orienteering without a compass or map, spearfishing, outdoor shelter building, bush meat cooking, flint knapping, spearmaking, skin tanning, and brewing tea and medicine from non-domestic plants. These skills at times proved to be my salvation.

I continue to be amazed at the tendency of some people, to assume they know the essentials of a person based upon the mere contents of a few online posts.

Even here, it would seem, there is to be found latent hostility towards someone who is forthright concerning something like IQ. It's not my fault that I have a freakishly high IQ. Where does this idea come from, that intelligence as measured by IQ is somehow irrelevant to so-called everyday "real" life?

And, if anyone here is truly prepared to insinuate that my playing the pan flute for 30 years is something irrelevant to everyday life, well, I would have to say, "My 30 years with the pan flute are so irrelevant to my everyday life, since it allows me to accomplish such irrelevant things as paying my rent and bills, caring for my family, making my car payments, sending money monthly to my wife's family in Brazil, meeting my financial obligations", etc., etc.

Yep.......all that stuff is just plain irrelevant..............
30-04-2010, 11:59 PM
(30-04-2010 11:45 PM)panflutejedi Wrote:  In my travels around the world, with a pack on my back and a flute in my hand, I regularly utilized such apparently worthless everyday skills such as languages, orienteering without a compass or map, spearfishing, outdoor shelter building, bush meat cooking, flint knapping, spearmaking, skin tanning, and brewing tea and medicine from non-domestic plants. These skills at times proved to be my salvation.

If this is true, you are the coolest person ever.

01-05-2010, 12:04 AM

(30-04-2010 11:59 PM)Green Wrote:  
(30-04-2010 11:45 PM)panflutejedi Wrote:  In my travels around the world, with a pack on my back and a flute in my hand, I regularly utilized such apparently worthless everyday skills such as languages, orienteering without a compass or map, spearfishing, outdoor shelter building, bush meat cooking, flint knapping, spearmaking, skin tanning, and brewing tea and medicine from non-domestic plants. These skills at times proved to be my salvation.

If this is true, you are the coolest person ever.

It is all true, every bit of it.

And, I'm not really a cool guy. I play an irrelevant instrument that is worthy of insinuated scorn, remember?

I have trained myself to endure many things, whether physical or psychological, but I have never had much endurance regarding someone who speaks as though they know the type of person I am, when in fact they do not.

Oh, and by the way, my IQ truly is 181.
01-05-2010, 12:50 AM
PanFluteJedi,

I thought that you were gone? Not that I really mind you around. At the risk of getting into this again, I just want to say, I don't really care about your proclaimed IQ one way or the other. I was just trying to turn it into an example of how the burden of proof works, since it's been a topic of discussion. I just want to take this chance to further clear the air, I'm not offended by the idea of your IQ, and I find it altogether a rather moot point. Our prior conversation seems to have escalated far beyond where it should have. Again, I'm sorry for any hard feeling it may have caused.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
01-05-2010, 01:27 AM

(01-05-2010 12:50 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  PanFluteJedi,

I thought that you were gone? Not that I really mind you around. At the risk of getting into this again, I just want to say, I don't really care about your proclaimed IQ one way or the other. I was just trying to turn it into an example of how the burden of proof works, since it's been a topic of discussion. I just want to take this chance to further clear the air, I'm not offended by the idea of your IQ, and I find it altogether a rather moot point. Our prior conversation seems to have escalated far beyond where it should have. Again, I'm sorry for any hard feeling it may have caused.

Yes, I was gone. But, I was not going to permit Stark Raving's blithe pretension of "Panflutejedi pedagogy" to pass. That is the only reason I posted today.

Would it be a stretch to state that I have as much a right as any other to resent being branded a liar? Or having my posts replied to in such a manner as to obliquely suggest that I am an undesired troublemaker?

The ironies one encounters in life are indeed astounding. Here I have a forum of rational people, with a prominent member of said forum proclaiming something as basic to rationality as the quantification of intelligence, to be a moot point.

I have been deriving an enormous amount of amusement, simply from watching people here freak out over this.

It's so.........predictable.

Where was the point of "acceptable" maximum escalation for said conversation, I wonder? Ah yes, silly me, I forgot.......the point where comfort ends, and untrammeled examination begins. That's how it usually works.

Anyhow, farewell!
01-05-2010, 07:39 AM
(30-04-2010 11:45 PM)panflutejedi Wrote:  Hello Stark Raving,

What do you know? Regarding me, apparently not much.

In my travels around the world, with a pack on my back and a flute in my hand, I regularly utilized such apparently worthless everyday skills such as languages, orienteering without a compass or map, spearfishing, outdoor shelter building, bush meat cooking, flint knapping, spearmaking, skin tanning, and brewing tea and medicine from non-domestic plants. These skills at times proved to be my salvation.

I continue to be amazed at the tendency of some people, to assume they know the essentials of a person based upon the mere contents of a few online posts.

Even here, it would seem, there is to be found latent hostility towards someone who is forthright concerning something like IQ. It's not my fault that I have a freakishly high IQ. Where does this idea come from, that intelligence as measured by IQ is somehow irrelevant to so-called everyday "real" life?

And, if anyone here is truly prepared to insinuate that my playing the pan flute for 30 years is something irrelevant to everyday life, well, I would have to say, "My 30 years with the pan flute are so irrelevant to my everyday life, since it allows me to accomplish such irrelevant things as paying my rent and bills, caring for my family, making my car payments, sending money monthly to my wife's family in Brazil, meeting my financial obligations", etc., etc.

Yep.......all that stuff is just plain irrelevant..............

I never did claim to know much about you. All I know is from the things you've said here, and the things I read on your site. When you know someone as little as I know you, and yet one of the things you do know is their IQ, mainly because they repeatedly mention it, it's pretty easy to conclude that its something that person deems mighty important.

All the skills you mention are as attainable for a person with an IQ of 90 as they are to a person with an IQ of 180. So although I think its great that you have those skills, they have nothing to do with your IQ, which basically was my point from the beginning; that IQ is not nearly as important as you appear to think it is.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but, I don't believe anyone insinuated anything about you playing the panflute. (If that was directed at me for saying "panfluteguy" it was simply because I forgot it was "jedi", not "guy".) Try not to be so paranoid. (And yes, I do have reason to believe you are paranoid. Your website reads as if you think the whole world is out to get you. Perhaps with my meager intellegence I misread it though).

Lastly, I am compelled to add...have you concluded that MY IQ is so low that "listing" one thing makes it impressive? Playing the panflute generates an income for you. By listing all the things you do with that income doesn't make it more impressive. I could say that the eggs my chickens produce provide protein for muscle developement and growth for my children, they provide vitamins and minerals, they provide energy that is needed for survival, the leftover shells provide calcium for the compost, therby enriching all that grows in my garden.....or I could just say that my chickens lay eggs that I can use for food. Period. You can figure out the rest. Just like I can figure out that you use your income to "fulfill your financial responsibilities". Seriously man, if you are such a genius shouldn't you realize how transparent that is.

Its really too bad it all came to this. But in reality, theres going to be conflict, and sometimes I can't help calling people on their crap.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
01-05-2010, 10:08 AM

Hmmm......paranoid, transparent.........there you go again, behaving as though you know me.

And yes, you are misreading it, as many a person has done.

Have you forgotten? The only reason I dropped my IQ, was the fact that Martin was in danger of believing he was talking to someone who couldn't think coherently. What happened after that? "Liar, BULLSHIT....".

True, the only thing you positively know about me is a number. Therefore, is it not very foolish on your part to speculate about anything else concerning me?

If you are willing to admit you really don't know me (talk the talk), then perhaps you would be willing to adjust your approach accordingly (walk the walk)?

Anyhow, the point wanted to make by mentioning my IQ again to Green was simply: I have told (and am telling) the truth. It's not my fault if some people here have a problem with it.