No sceptics in heaven

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2011, 06:59 AM

RE: No sceptics in heaven
I thought of this paradox (friend or family goes to heaven/hell, you go to the other) when I was like 10 years old. Pretty bad when religion can't fool a kid. To top that off, my friend at the time who was ubber religious Christian said that animals (pets) don't go to heaven, now why would that be?

The movie What Dreams May Come (Robin Williams, 1998) has an interesting perspective on heaven and hell with some of these issues. Watched it yesterday, good movie.
Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Quote:Since I am in heaven I can't even grieve about the treason?

What are the rules about being in Heaven to begin with ?
Does it matter ? Or is your free will suppressed and you become and amorphous blob ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2011, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2011 12:11 PM by Observer.)
(14-02-2011 06:59 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  The movie What Dreams May Come (Robin Williams, 1998)
I saw that too. At that time i thought that was interesting too, but I was still a bit of a deist then.
(14-02-2011 10:30 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  What are the rules about being in Heaven to begin with ?
My point exactly. It is totally abso-fucking-lutely unclear what that "big-price-at-the-end" is going to be. "You can't see it while alive, you cant even imagine it but take it from me, it is going to be great. (no I haven’t seen it either)"
It reminds me a bit of Pat Condell on YouTube who rants about "trying to sell him an invisible car". Pay in advance for an awesome car you’ll get when you're death (No I haven't seen it either, but take my word for it, it's really cool). And yet still people are falling for that. Unbelievable.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
14-02-2011, 01:03 PM
I agree,no one is sure what reward they will get , they just assume bliss at the end of the tunnel.I guess for the people who first thought the concept up it makes sense, anyone can imagine what they want.
Think about it , if I told you if you walk on foot around the world you would get a prize.Then imagine 2 options I gave you :
1)Ribs with potatoes and cola - forever
2)Your favorite food - forever
Which is more appealing to you ?

Well , on the topic of getting cars when you're dead , here;s another funny little video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qahB7mYhLxs

14-02-2011, 01:34 PM
(14-02-2011 01:03 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Well , on the topic of getting cars when you're dead , here;s another funny little video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qahB7mYhLxs
ROFLMAO stop doing that. My tummy hurts.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
14-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Sorry Tongue
darkmatter is one of the YT greats Big Grin

14-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Am I the only asshole struggling not to make a joke abut heaven's plumbing?

Heaven certainly doesn't seem very heavenly to me, for a number of reasons. When confronted with situations such as these, my fundie family claims that the joy in Heaven is Jesus himself, and that even if there was absolutely nothing else aside from him, it would still be joyous beyond their wildest dreams.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-02-2011, 08:27 PM
(13-02-2011 08:07 AM)The_observer Wrote:  What if I am a loyal Christian and I get poisoned by my wife without me knowing it. What would God say when I arrive at the pearly gates and ask him why I’m death. "Your wife poisoned you". Since I am in heaven I can't even grieve about the treason? Confused

You won't even care about it. You'll be floating in clouds, wearing wings, with angels, eating Philadelphia cream cheese. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
15-02-2011, 12:25 AM
(14-02-2011 06:13 PM)LeviTimes Wrote:  Heaven certainly doesn't seem very heavenly to me, for a number of reasons. When confronted with situations such as these, my fundie family claims that the joy in Heaven is Jesus himself, and that even if there was absolutely nothing else aside from him, it would still be joyous beyond their wildest dreams.

This sounds like jesus is a nymphomaniac that swings both ways. Tongue

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
15-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Quote:This sounds like jesus is a nymphomaniac that swings both ways. Tongue

Now that's ... comedy !!! Big Grin
Even more funny , the copy-paste replaced the smilie with the word "tongue" - LOL