No secular alternative to AA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2015, 05:31 AM
No secular alternative to AA
Hi all I'm Adey and I am an atheist of only about 18 months. Getting out of religion is one of the best things I have done but one of the consequences is that I now struggle massively when I attend AA meetings. My newly opened eyes mean I now see AA in a totally different light the blind obedience to the programme the cultishness etc etc. When I voiced dissent and said that I got more in the way of recovery from listening to TTA podcasts sometimes,I was told I was deceived and broken, one woman told me that I MUST delete all my podcasts and never listen to them again otherwise I would inevitably drink again I've tried different meetings but here in the UK they are pretty much all similar, i.e. that's to say fundamentalist. I secretly wonder if these people have swapped one addiction for an addiction to AA. I still struggle with my issues and wish there was a secular alternative to AA so I could talk to likeminded individuals without the shadow of cultish indoctrination. Does anyone else struggle with this ? Because at the moment I feel in a really lonely place.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2015, 06:13 AM
RE: No secular alternative to AA
Try this link. It's a couple years old but addresses some issues.

Best of luck to you also. I can't imagine the will power it takes to stay sober. However, that's exactly what it is...will power. Your own. Think of the higher power as a better version of yourself that you are appealing to.

**Crickets** -- God
16-06-2015, 06:16 AM
You certainly can stay sober without a "higher power" helping you out....

All those people at AA do it all the time --- they just don't know it...

It's up to you --- not some invisible sky daddy...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
16-06-2015, 06:27 AM
I did a google search and found these:

AA Agnostica

They are a secular, non-denominational AA organisation who have some groups in the UK. If you are not by any of these it seems you can set up your own:

AA Agnostica England

Hope this helps.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post
16-06-2015, 08:17 AM
Re: No secular alternative to AA
I was in several of the Anonymous groups a while back. I thought the same thing; they seemed to swap one dependency for another.
16-06-2015, 03:44 PM
AA was based on the Oxford Group a puritanical evangelical Christian organization.
There are secular groups however and the god of AA need not relate to any organized religion. The term they use is 'Higher Power'. While HP may require some faith it does not require dogmatized faith. ........As Robert Brault once said 'Of course I have doubts,I practise faith, not certainty"
16-06-2015, 04:02 PM
(16-06-2015 03:44 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  AA was based on the Oxford Group a puritanical evangelical Christian organization.
There are secular groups however and the god of AA need not relate to any organized religion. The term they use is 'Higher Power'. While HP may require some faith it does not require dogmatized faith. ........As Robert Brault once said 'Of course I have doubts,I practise faith, not certainty"

Calling it something else doesn't change the fact that it makes them uncomfortable going to meetings. When you have the majority of group members following the hp hive-mind it's not good for one's sobriety.
It a damn shame they use a weak point in a persons life to establish a foothold for religion by making them believe they are helpless and hopeless and the only way out is god.
16-06-2015, 04:11 PM
(16-06-2015 04:02 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(16-06-2015 03:44 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  AA was based on the Oxford Group a puritanical evangelical Christian organization.

Calling it something else doesn't change the fact that it makes them uncomfortable going to meetings. When you have the majority of group members following the hp hive-mind it's not good for one's sobriety.
It a damn shame they use a weak point in a persons life to establish a foothold for religion by making them believe they are helpless and hopeless and the only way out is god.
AA is rather more than that. Some factions see the 'group ethic' as as source of recovery and are pretty much hard line atheists. Personally I am not a big fan, quite the contrary, but as an agnostic I do not see a personal faith as a major problem if such isn't taken to ridiculous extremes. As indicated religions and dogmas need not be part of such.
16-06-2015, 04:44 PM
(16-06-2015 04:11 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(16-06-2015 04:02 PM)pablo Wrote:  Calling it something else doesn't change the fact that it makes them uncomfortable going to meetings. When you have the majority of group members following the hp hive-mind it's not good for one's sobriety.
AA is rather more than that. Some factions see the 'group ethic' as as source of recovery and are pretty much hard line atheists. Personally I am not a big fan, quite the contrary, but as an agnostic I do not see a personal faith as a major problem if such isn't taken to ridiculous extremes. As indicated religions and dogmas need not be part of such.

I spent two years going to an array of aa meetings, I know the drill.
16-06-2015, 05:03 PM
(16-06-2015 04:44 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(16-06-2015 04:11 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  AA is rather more than that. Some factions see the 'group ethic' as as source of recovery and are pretty much hard line atheists. Personally I am not a big fan, quite the contrary, but as an agnostic I do not see a personal faith as a major problem if such isn't taken to ridiculous extremes. As indicated religions and dogmas need not be part of such.

I spent two years going to an array of aa meetings, I know the drill.

Me too! Here in Oz there is a split that really pissed me off, given how they are all about unity, resentment etc. The split is all over something that happened round 15 years ago. One faction, rubbishing the other faction.......not good for newcomers.No