No secular alternative to AA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2015, 05:49 PM
RE: No secular alternative to AA
Ultimately I left NA because of an undercurrent of theism/magical beliefs. It was very helpful to me for many years, and I am grateful. But the thing that really got me was the baseline message that addicts are ALWAYS addicts (i.e. sinners) and need redemption, in this case from "the program." Anyone who left the program, even if they were successful members of society, if they "used" — say, drank socially, but not irresponsibly — became the subject of much gossip and fear-mongering, chortling at meetings that so-and-so was "using" and so, of course, doomed to the NA version of hell, using until all dignity (or life) was lost.

Then, when I left, I found that many of my "friends" wouldn't have anything to do with me.

Not a cult, but NA has too many religion-like aspects for my tastes these days.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes claywise's post
16-06-2015, 07:10 PM
Your "higher power" is inside you. Gods need not apply. Exercise your will, and make your life your own.
17-06-2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all the support. Went to another meeting this evening it was utterly dire more lame than a field full of three legged ponies so its nice to know I can come here for some sanity
17-06-2015, 04:04 PM
(17-06-2015 03:56 PM)adey67 Wrote:  Thanks for all the support. Went to another meeting this evening it was utterly dire more lame than a field full of three legged ponies so its nice to know I can come here for some sanity

You might like to check out AVRT (alcoholic voice recognition therapy) at Rational Recovery Box 800 Ca 95651............
22-06-2015, 04:40 PM
A judge was determined to get a fellow help with this drinking problem and sentenced him to AA. When the fellow revealed he was Atheist, the judge changed the sentence to counselling. A group of church ministers who are highly educated, came up with a great program for substance abuse with no mention or implication of a deity. It starts with a lengthy questionnaire which is taken home to fill out then returned. It gives the counsellor a good sense of who you are and your struggle with substance abuse. They start the conversation then listen, asking strategic questions now and again to make you think. Part of this same group of ministers ran a program for street people and it too is quite successful.
22-06-2015, 05:01 PM
Sentenced to AA that's ironic but what's more ironic is a group of clergy coming up with a purely secular programme, bit like tits on a bull if ya asks me
24-06-2015, 03:44 AM
I have a friend from an alcoholic family. He says his parents brought him to meetings when he was a child. Apparently, the kids had a game. Every time a new member would show up, they'd guess what two addictions would replace the alcohol.
24-06-2015, 04:25 AM
Adey

I'm an ex-smoker. I was a 40-a-day-man for years. One day, I got up and just quit. It was hell day after day. But, I made it (now 18 months clean) and would never smoke again. I can't imagine what you go through each day. With smoking, it's only a psychological dependence whereas with alcohol, it's physical.

Some of my friends are alcoholics. They don't accept it though and keep on drinking heavily. One kick starts his day with a double Pernod and the other with two glugs of Johnnie Walker black label.

There was a time when I was as close to being an alcoholic without actually being one. I managed to pull back in time.

My advice is: If it works, just fuckin' do it. If religion stops you drinking, suck it up and, when they ain't lookin', blow it out your ass. What's worse - drinking again and ruining your health or laughing up your sleeve at some religious fucktards?

By the way, I think they are right - once an addict, always an addict. Some of us have an addictive personality. It's part of who we are. I'm addicted to alcohol and nicotine. It's just that I'm a non-smoker and a non-drinker. It ain't what we call ourselves or what others call us. It's what we do that's important.

Good luck and you just keep on a tryin'.

Them's me thoughts for what they are worth.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
24-06-2015, 06:20 AM
(24-06-2015 04:25 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Adey

I'm an ex-smoker. I was a 40-a-day-man for years. One day, I got up and just quit. It was hell day after day. But, I made it (now 18 months clean) and would never smoke again. I can't imagine what you go through each day. With smoking, it's only a psychological dependence whereas with alcohol, it's physical.

Nicotine is physically addictive.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-06-2015, 07:44 AM
(24-06-2015 06:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-06-2015 04:25 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Adey

Nicotine is physically addictive.

I stand corrected.

However, even though I was a heavy smoker, I didn't suffer any physical withdrawal symptoms when I stopped. For me it was purely psychological - and I went cold turkey.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored