Poll: Allah, Yahweh, atheist? Left wing, right wing, no wing?
Left wing
Right wing
No wing
[Show Results]

No wing: political equivalent to atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2014, 02:33 PM
RE: No wing: political equivalent to atheism?
(30-08-2014 10:44 AM)Luminon Wrote:  So you have a formal education and yet you think it is woo.

Nah, I got the utmost respect for philosophy. It's specifically your "philosophy" which is complete and utter batshit woo.

(31-08-2014 08:23 AM)cjlr Wrote:  If nothing else, the large and rotating cast gawping at ol' Lumi's trainwreck ignorance is good for some amusement...

Now now, no need to go offending TrainWrecks.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-09-2014, 02:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2014 02:52 PM by Luminon.)
(01-09-2014 02:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Nah, I got the utmost respect for philosophy. It's specifically your "philosophy" which is complete and utter batshit woo.

That is not an argument. I don't know what philosophy you have, but if it doesn't contain arguments and principles, then I have serious doubts.
Here, I'll help you:
"Woo? How so? The reality comes pre-packaged with principles. Got any problem with that?"
01-09-2014, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2014 08:35 AM by cjlr.)
(01-09-2014 02:48 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 02:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Nah, I got the utmost respect for philosophy. It's specifically your "philosophy" which is complete and utter batshit woo.

That is not an argument.

It's actually adorable how fond you are of saying that.

Hint: you have never once given a single substantiated argument in any of your tens of thousands of words of trolltacular rantsplaining.

Anywhere.

Ever.

Y'know that old canard, ol' Lumi? What is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence?

So there's that.

But we both know that scientific methods and empiricism are no match for your mighty Self-Evident Feels. Because reasons.

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
01-09-2014, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2014 03:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(01-09-2014 02:48 PM)Luminon Wrote:  

That is not an argument.

I stopped trying to argue with you dozens of threads ago when it became abundantly clear you have no fucking clue what an argument entails. It'd be like trying to argue with my dog. Not an argument, just an observation.

[Image: WhatDogsHear.jpg]

(01-09-2014 02:48 PM)Luminon Wrote:  "Woo? How so? The reality comes pre-packaged with principles. Got any problem with that?"

That is not an argument.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
01-09-2014, 03:24 PM
(01-09-2014 03:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I stopped trying to argue with you dozens of threads ago when it became abundantly clear you have no fucking clue what an argument entails. It'd be like trying to argue with my dog. Not an argument, just an observation.
I got genuinely pleased that you made that distinction. I was getting a little worried there.
So far, everything people threw at me, including some people who wouldn't pass a Turing test, was simply a cultural reference. There is no argument against cultural reference. Culture makes people Pavlov's dogs. Pro-culture - salivate, anti-culture, growl. All I got is growling.

(01-09-2014 03:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(01-09-2014 02:48 PM)Luminon Wrote:  "Woo? How so? The reality comes pre-packaged with principles. Got any problem with that?"

That is not an argument.
Correct! That is a question. You're slowly getting a hang of this!
Let's try you identifying another couple of words.
"Do you claim that there are no principles?"
01-09-2014, 03:34 PM
... Wank wank wank...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
01-09-2014, 03:34 PM
(01-09-2014 03:24 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Correct! That is a question. You're slowly getting a hang of this!
Let's try you identifying another couple of words.
"Do you claim that there are no principles?"

That is an unanswerable question because you have provided no context for or definition of 'principle'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-09-2014, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2014 04:08 PM by GirlyMan.)

(01-09-2014 03:24 PM)Luminon Wrote:  "Do you claim that there are no principles?"

Your question is premature and presumptuous. Tell me more about this "reality" of which of you are demonstrably clearly not qualified to speak.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
01-09-2014, 04:11 PM
(01-09-2014 04:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Your question is premature and presumptuous. Tell me more about this "reality" of which of you are demonstrably clearly not qualified to speak.

Wait 'til he hears you work for the government... oops... Evil_monster

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 5 users Like morondog's post
01-09-2014, 04:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2014 04:29 PM by Luminon.)
(01-09-2014 03:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  That is an unanswerable question because you have provided no context for or definition of 'principle'.
Principles are basic axioms of natural language, thought, logic and human comprehension itself.
A principle is a consistent expression which makes all other expressions possible, including the very idea of an expression as such. A consistent expression so general and fundamental that it can not be any more generalized through language and of which all other expressions are more specific instances.

There are usually more than one principles, derived from each other, that only relate to another principle. There are several of them (Aristotle, etc) increasing in detail or nuance, until we get to some expressions that are specific enough to be related to something else than only other principles. As a thought exercise it feels very stupid, certainly not an object of daily conversation, but "feels stupid" is not an argument.
fmmh.ycdsb.ca/teachers/fmmh_mcmanaman/pages/first_principles.html

It is possible to make even simpler output than principles, or an output that is complex but not related to principles, but that kind of output is by definition internally inconsistent or chaotic. The very idea of consistency is one of the principles.

(01-09-2014 04:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Your question is premature and presumptuous. Tell me more about this "reality" of which of you are demonstrably clearly not qualified to speak.
Premature and presumptuous is not an argument, it does not prove me wrong. I am qualified to say that reality exists, that is, reality is itself, reality is reality. All things in reality are themselves and not their opposites at the same time.
Real things never change without a reason. A thing either is or it is not, there is no halfway existence.
Reality as a whole is consistent with itself and we are a part of this reality, consistent with it.