Poll: Allah, Yahweh, atheist? Left wing, right wing, no wing?
Left wing
Right wing
No wing
[Show Results]

No wing: political equivalent to atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2014, 05:53 AM
RE: No wing: political equivalent to atheism?
(21-09-2014 05:43 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  So patriotism is a religion?

No.

But it often gives rise to the same zeal born from our pithecoidal tendency towards in-group-ness-osity.

(21-09-2014 05:43 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  Love of one's fatherland, one's home and country is a bad thing?

More often than not, yes.

Yes

but it does depend on your qualification of 'bad'.

Drinking Beverage

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
21-09-2014, 05:57 AM
(21-09-2014 04:47 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  ...
Lumi, you are the village idiot, and only you don't realize it...

Yeah! I got called that too until they invented Aspergers'.

Village idiocy is a developmental disorder.

Angry

21-09-2014, 06:40 AM
(21-09-2014 05:41 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  So you can't even defeat Lumi's arguments?

Not surprising, considering your inability to carry on a debate without falling to the level of personal insults.

Res you're just as ignorant of reality as Lumi is, you just don't happen to also worship a cult leader (as far as we know for now). Lumi has had his ass handed to him for well over 100 pages, we're all just tired of retreading the same ground with someone who is entirely incapable of processing a perspective outside of their own predetermined one (much like yourself). What you and Lumi both share is a complete and utter lack of introspection and revaluation, which makes debating with either of you eventually devolve into a poo-throwing fest as the rest of us get bored with your collective idiocy.

Lumi lost this debate long before he advocated shooting IRS agents and cited satire in defense of his arguments; and you have added zero substance here once again... Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
21-09-2014, 07:01 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2014 07:05 AM by Luminon.)
(21-09-2014 05:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-09-2014 05:43 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  So patriotism is a religion?

No.

But it often gives rise to the same zeal born from our pithecoidal tendency towards in-group-ness-osity.
Please don't take it personally, you must be a long time out of school... Just saying "no" without "because" would never be enough to any professor grading papers. My papers get returned when I write like that. And as traumas go, they get passed on others. People do as they are done to and then they order others to do.

So, care to tell how exactly is patriotism not a religion? It probably isn't, both religion and patriotism are cultural ideologies. Ideology is by definition not truth, science or morality. Therefore it's suspect, by default. Ideology is a careful word for powerful bullshit of our superiors. Culture is an even more careful word of a bullshit so powerful, that it's all around and questioning it would provoke slave on slave violence.

(21-09-2014 05:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(21-09-2014 05:43 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  Love of one's fatherland, one's home and country is a bad thing?

More often than not, yes.

Yes

but it does depend on your qualification of 'bad'.

Drinking Beverage
Do you have an example of a qualification of 'bad' under which something is actually bad? Consider

(21-09-2014 06:40 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Res you're just as ignorant of reality as Lumi is, you just don't happen to also worship a cult leader (as far as we know for now). Lumi has had his ass handed to him for well over 100 pages, we're all just tired of retreading the same ground with someone who is entirely incapable of processing a perspective outside of their own predetermined one (much like yourself). What you and Lumi both share is a complete and utter lack of introspection and revaluation, which makes debating with either of you eventually devolve into a poo-throwing fest as the rest of us get bored with your collective idiocy.

Lumi lost this debate long before he advocated shooting IRS agents and cited satire in defense of his arguments; and you have added zero substance here once again... Drinking Beverage
You can't read and think, basically.
I made an observation about IRS agents not being shot, while this was basically the premise of American revolution.
And it was not to defense of "my arguments" (you would not even be able to repeat back what "my arguments" are, you still have no idea), it was about the shooting down of Malaysian airplane.
That's your level of comprehension:
[Image: 007_900px.png]
21-09-2014, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2014 07:29 AM by Vosur.)
[Image: 018_900px.png]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
21-09-2014, 07:17 AM
(21-09-2014 07:01 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(21-09-2014 05:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  No.

Please don't take it personally, you must be a long time out of school... Just saying "no" without "because" would never be enough to any professor grading papers.

Don't take it personally when I remind you that:

a) I am a very long time out of school (over 30 years)
b) I'm not in school now
c) TTA rules do not stipulate the need for in-depth analysis or explanations
d) This thread is not about edifying a wider audience; it is merely here to provide you, Lumi, with a means of self-flagellation.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
21-09-2014, 09:47 AM
(21-09-2014 07:01 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I made an observation about IRS agents not being shot, while this was basically the premise of American revolution.

American History Fail... Facepalm

The problem wasn't the taxation, it was the taxation without representation. The colonists resented not having a hand, a vote, a seat, or otherwise any representation in the Parliament that controlled said taxation.

United States citizens, who fall under the jurisdiction of the IRS, do have representation. Your comprehension of reality, and propensity for terribly false analogies, sill runs strong I see.

(21-09-2014 07:01 AM)Luminon Wrote:  And it was not to defense of "my arguments" (you would not even be able to repeat back what "my arguments" are, you still have no idea), it was about the shooting down of Malaysian airplane.
That's your level of comprehension:
[Image: 007_900px.png]

No, we do get your 'arguments', which rely on a complete disregard of human behavior and the magical thinking that by eliminating all regulation and accountability, people will magically stop being assholes. You've never once provided anything compelling within any of your ramblings to show how your system handles outliers that don't all agree to think and act like you want (and indeed need) them to to fit withing your paradigm.

The problem isn't that we do not understand your arguments, it's that we unfortunately do understand them, but the rest of us are not blind to the state of reality and human nature that makes them simply untenable...

So you come here, quote your prophet (pbuh), and we shoot it all to hell; while you get off feeding your martyr/persecution complex by seeing every bored insult as just another validation if your inane bullshit. So have fun, so long as you keep copy-pasting wingnut pseudo-science we'll be here to kick your ass to the curb whenever you show up.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
21-09-2014, 11:11 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2014 11:20 AM by Luminon.)
(21-09-2014 09:47 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  American History Fail... Facepalm

The problem wasn't the taxation, it was the taxation without representation. The colonists resented not having a hand, a vote, a seat, or otherwise any representation in the Parliament that controlled said taxation.

United States citizens, who fall under the jurisdiction of the IRS, do have representation. Your comprehension of reality, and propensity for terribly false analogies, sill runs strong I see.
I find both of these claims hard to believe. Some intellectual was writing history books, apparently. A colonist does not care the least if some guy in England raises a hand for him that may or may not alter the king's decision. He cares if his property is or isn't forcibly taken away.

Similarly, representation today is another social mythology. Citizens have nearly zero influence on the U.S. policy.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/...U-S-Policy

(21-09-2014 09:47 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  No, we do get your 'arguments', which rely on a complete disregard of human behavior and the magical thinking that by eliminating all regulation and accountability, people will magically stop being assholes. You've never once provided anything compelling within any of your ramblings to show how your system handles outliers that don't all agree to think and act like you want (and indeed need) them to to fit withing your paradigm.

The problem isn't that we do not understand your arguments, it's that we unfortunately do understand them, but the rest of us are not blind to the state of reality and human nature that makes them simply untenable...

So you come here, quote your prophet (pbuh), and we shoot it all to hell; while you get off feeding your martyr/persecution complex by seeing every bored insult as just another validation if your inane bullshit. So have fun, so long as you keep copy-pasting wingnut pseudo-science we'll be here to kick your ass to the curb whenever you show up.
No, this is not about human nature. My argument works regardless of that. If there are assholes around (which you acknowledge), it is insane to put all the eggs into one basket of power. This goes for political seats, central banking, central law authorities, national military and so on. Anything central is easy to take over and misuse. Do you understand what I say? It's the same reason why the military developed Arpanet, later the internet, if a central computer gets destroyed by a nuclear strike, it's all over, but a network of computers can get around the damage. The difference between military and politics is, military needs its engineering working, politics needs them not working, so there's a justification for more politics.
So, let's have a maximally de-centralized government, where every person is self-governing and treated as a sovereign entity, thus engaging only in voluntary trade and associations.
21-09-2014, 11:20 AM
(20-09-2014 08:57 PM)Li_Holodomer Wrote:  
(20-09-2014 08:56 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The insane ramblings of a lunatic mind.

I meant this area, not the whole forum. Sleepy

You get rep for that. Big Grin

#sigh
21-09-2014, 11:37 AM
(21-09-2014 11:11 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(21-09-2014 09:47 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  American History Fail... Facepalm

I find both of these claims hard to believe. Some intellectual was writing history books, apparently. A colonist does not care the least if some guy in England raises a hand for him that may or may not alter the king's decision. He cares if his property is or isn't forcibly taken away.

These were people who believed in the necessity of government; they wan't it to be representative.

So, once again, you are talking through your ass.

Quote:No, this is not about human nature. My argument works regardless of that. If there are assholes around (which you acknowledge), it is insane to put all the eggs into one basket of power.

This goes for political seats, central banking, central law authorities, national military and so on. Anything central is easy to take over and misuse. Do you understand what I say? It's the same reason why the military developed Arpanet, later the internet, if a central computer gets destroyed by a nuclear strike, it's all over, but a network of computers can get around the damage. The difference between military and politics is, military needs its engineering working, politics needs them not working, so there's a justification for more politics.
So, let's have a maximally de-centralized government, where every person is self-governing and treated as a sovereign entity, thus engaging only in voluntary trade and associations.

Your scheme could work only if human nature were different than it actually is.
What you promote leaves the weak at the mercy of the strong, and the strong are accountable to no one but themselves.

No one here is buying it because it is a lunatic idea.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post