Poll: Allah, Yahweh, atheist? Left wing, right wing, no wing?
Left wing
Right wing
No wing
[Show Results]

No wing: political equivalent to atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2014, 10:26 AM
RE: No wing: political equivalent to atheism?
(01-08-2014 10:09 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  A bit of therapy may help with these issues from your childhood.

I'll throw in that spanking CAN be abusive or even assault depending on how it's done. I'll even admit that I likely will not spank my own children (unless they do not respond to other forms of discipline), furthermore if they don't respond to spanking, resorting to "spanking them harder" is not going to solve the problem either. As I said, kids are different, I'm from a family of 8 kids and I have 12 nieces and nephews. I've seen all kinds of methods of raising kids (One of my sisters is even a psychologist who specializes in childhood development). What works for one kid is not guaranteed to work on another.

A blanket assertion that spanking is assault is ridiculous. It's a disciplinary measure that you don't agree with, sure. That's fine.
You can not be possibly serious. What in the world is more important than to risk that your child will turn out like me and need therapy? Do you know what are health risks of spanking? It's worse than Chinese plastic toys and bottles and lead paint. Spanking strongly increases the risk of literally every single disease or problem a human being can possibly have. It lowers IQ and shortens life for almost 20 years! Facepalm There is nothing so important you might want from a child to risk that.
If there was an injection that had the same effect as spanking and somebody was threatening to inject me, I would be allowed to shoot and kill in self-defense!

http://www.livescience.com/9733-childhoo...gests.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbiq2-ukfhM
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Lumi, you claim to accept science and all, but you seem to be insisting that the only reason people use violence is because they got spanked as a child. Do you really think that if no one spanked their children there would be no violence?

And secondly, without a state to enforce laws how would people be kept from spanking?

Also, in the monarchy thread I asked this;
(01-08-2014 09:11 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  
(01-08-2014 07:03 AM)Luminon Wrote:  I haven't signed shit. I haven't voted for anybody up there. Other people's meaningless cultural rituals have no moral obligation for me. They might as well elect a democratic Nerd Minister of Gondor at Comic Con, or the Pope in Rome. Damn popular sovereignity, there is no such thing provable empirically or rationally. It's pure make-believe, exactly like the divine right of kings. No difference at all.

Voting does nothing. If I have a bucket of shit and get a billion people to vote at 93 % consensus that it's a bucket of gold, will that change anything?

You do have a point that pure democracy is not a good system, because it becomes mod rule, but without the ability to appoint and remove our leaders, what is to prevent tyranny? The best system balances democracy with constitutional protection of unpopular opinions, like what America has.

How do you propose leaders be kept in check if the people have no mechanism with which to remove them? In your lazise-faire utopia why wouldn't some billionaire hire a private army and install himself as dictator? What mechanisms are in place to prevent that?
I would like a response as to what would keep a multi-billionaire from hiring a private military and setting up a totalitarian regime. Right now we have a state that would forbid him from obtaining that military and could also forcibly stop him if he tried. What will stop him in your society?

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
[+] 2 users Like Res Publica's post
01-08-2014, 10:42 AM
(01-08-2014 10:35 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  Lumi, you claim to accept science and all...

He claims as much. As with violence, it's far more a matter of convenience. The world is divided into "good" science (that which agrees with him) and "bad" science (that which does not agree with him).

His own personal flavours of beloved woo woo nonsense are utterly unscientific and completely rejected by any competent authority. That's when he busts out the ol' "lol conspiracy" card in order to continue paying lip service to "science" while cherry-picking and anomaly-hunting and bias-confirming.

(01-08-2014 10:35 AM)Res Publica Wrote:  I would like a response as to what would keep a multi-billionaire from hiring a private military and setting up a totalitarian regime. Right now we have a state that would forbid him from obtaining that military and could also forcibly stop him if he tried. What will stop him in your society?

His answer to any and all difficult and/or inevitable questions is Magical Thinking™. Aka, if you don't know how to solve problems, just vacuously assert that those problems wouldn't occur.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
01-08-2014, 11:41 AM
This thread... Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Escape Artist's post
01-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Re: No wing: political equivalent to atheism?
Not sure how this thread is like roundtine... Or it sounds funny like the word hurl, but I'll agree anyway.

Lumi.. You listed a bunch of utopias that don't exist, except for a couple in certain areas. Neither women, gays, or blacks/any minority under white established areas have gotten a presence of equality. Do you honestly think they've gotten their utopia? And which Christian reformations.. There has been multiple, some desired their utopia being revelations. That hasn't happened either.

It's quite scary that you continue to state assertions and don't seem to indicate a critical sense of acknowledging you may be wrong.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-08-2014, 12:32 PM
Was just saying that the thread is entertaining, is all. Probably should have just posted the popcorn guy. Popcorn

[+] 1 user Likes Escape Artist's post
01-08-2014, 12:42 PM
Re: RE: No wing: political equivalent to atheism?
(01-08-2014 12:32 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  Was just saying that the thread is entertaining, is all. Probably should have just posted the popcorn guy. Popcorn

Nutz, I got the wrong Banya jokes.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-08-2014, 12:47 PM
(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  As for guns...meh. That is not necessary. America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense - and all the cops went fully paramilitary anyway.

This tells you everything you need to know about Luminon's "non-violence".

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
01-08-2014, 01:31 PM
The fact that you can't even conceptualize spanking outside of the context of abuse is telling. It's apparent you have some scars and damage done by an abusive family (either that, or you are blowing your past out of proportion and exaggerating damages, but I wouldn't know). I can't help you work through that unfortunately, but I hope you get past it someday.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
01-08-2014, 01:37 PM
(01-08-2014 12:47 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  As for guns...meh. That is not necessary. America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense - and all the cops went fully paramilitary anyway.

This tells you everything you need to know about Luminon's "non-violence".

This tells you everything you need to know about all Libertarians' "non-violence".

Against them: HORRIBLE EVIL MEN WITH GUNS NAZI REPTILOIDS.
Favouring them: "self-defense".

I could be trite and - no, fuck it, I will be hopelessly trite. Look at Gaza. Or Ukraine, or Iraq, or Somalia, or CAR, or northeast India... I think those people have just about all the "self-defense" they can handle.

... this is my signature!