Poll: Allah, Yahweh, atheist? Left wing, right wing, no wing?
Left wing
Right wing
No wing
[Show Results]

No wing: political equivalent to atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2014, 05:11 AM
RE: No wing: political equivalent to atheism?
(29-08-2014 05:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 02:50 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Yes, I must be crazy if I talk about metaphysics to people who don't know metaphysics.
My shields of crazy must be weakening! Must... stop... giggling... Drooling

One trend that might surprise and scare you all. There seems to be a zombie outbreak in United States and Canada and it's growing!
http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=%...fg6&cmpt=q

In what sense can anyone 'know' metaphysics?

Well, I 'know' that it is a branch of philosophy concerned with 'explaining' the 'fundamental natures' of 'being' and the world.

So I 'know' it in the sense that it has absolutely no bearing on science, including real physics and quantum mechanics, despite what Depak Lumi seems to think.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
29-08-2014, 08:23 AM
No wing: political equivalent to atheism?
*yawn* *stretch*

Ok, so I just got back from a cruise to Mexico. I see 120 new posts have appeared since. Anything new I missed? Too lazy to read it and suspect I'm not missing anything.

I have one thing to assert: snorkeling is awesome. Deny that!

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
29-08-2014, 08:38 AM
(29-08-2014 08:23 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I have one thing to assert: snorkeling is awesome. Deny that!

It can't be all that awesome.

It would involve leaving my domain, which I only do so willingly to transfer between dominions, for education and for provision runs.
I deny your asserting for the above reason.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
29-08-2014, 03:29 PM
(29-08-2014 05:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  In what sense can anyone 'know' metaphysics?
The things we know and the things we don't know yet share some properties thanks to which they are a part of the same reality. If we find out which properties these are, we can anticipate general principles of the universe as they are being discovered for real by scientists.
By definition, these common properties are accessible to us. I have thought of some by removing superfluous verbal categories such as "consciousness" and finding a relationship between everything and the fundamental category: energy. Everything is convertible to energy, energy is the measure of reality and existence.

However, it is ultimately unclear what is energy. Well, we know it is everything, but we don't know what is everything and how exactly energy became everything, there are many ways of that apparently. These ways need to be filled in by scientists.
The claim is, metaphysics is a useful framework in which physicists can fill in when designing hypotheses to test. I'd say David Bohm's theory of implicate order or Rupert Sheldrake theory of morphogenetic fields may have origins in inspiration from metaphysics. But there hasn't been a real metaphysics-inspired breakthrough yet.
29-08-2014, 03:50 PM
Send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-08-2014, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 29-08-2014 08:03 PM by GirlyMan.)
(29-08-2014 03:29 PM)Luminon Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 05:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  In what sense can anyone 'know' metaphysics?
The things we know and the things we don't know yet share some properties thanks to which they are a part of the same reality. If we find out which properties these are, we can anticipate general principles of the universe as they are being discovered for real by scientists.
By definition, these common properties are accessible to us. I have thought of some by removing superfluous verbal categories such as "consciousness" and finding a relationship between everything and the fundamental category: energy. Everything is convertible to energy, energy is the measure of reality and existence.

However, it is ultimately unclear what is energy. Well, we know it is everything, but we don't know what is everything and how exactly energy became everything, there are many ways of that apparently. These ways need to be filled in by scientists.
The claim is, metaphysics is a useful framework in which physicists can fill in when designing hypotheses to test. I'd say David Bohm's theory of implicate order or Rupert Sheldrake theory of morphogenetic fields may have origins in inspiration from metaphysics. But there hasn't been a real metaphysics-inspired breakthrough yet.

Jesus Christ dude. You really have no clue about The First Rule of Holes do you? You need to just stop talking about physics and shit 'cause you got no proper training and you sound like a stoned teenager. Furthermore your metaphysics is basically woo with no rigor behind it whatsoever so you should probably stop representing yourself as a proper philosopher. ... Consider ... You should probably just stop talking unless you're some sorta masochist who enjoys making a fool of himself.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-08-2014, 05:41 PM
[Image: 29theonbmp_zpsda686d06.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
30-08-2014, 08:43 AM
(29-08-2014 04:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Jesus Christ dude. You really have no clue about The First Rule of Holes do you? You need to just stop talking about physics and shit 'cause you got no proper training and you sound like a stoned teenager. Furthermore your metaphysics is basically woo with no rigor behind it whatsoever so you should probably stop representing yourself as a proper philosopher. ... Consider ... You should probably just stop talking unless you're some sorta masochist who enjoys making a fool of himself.
So, I am making a fool of myself by talking about physics because I've got no proper training. But you are not making a fool of yourself by talking about metaphysics even though you probably haven't even read the damn Wikipedia article. Dodgy Well, I know that metaphysics isn't popular and doesn't produce iPads. But maybe I want to get away from people who do this. I am used to hanging around some very nasty people out of necessity and so maybe I need that extra dose of nastiness to break the habit when the necessity is not there anymore. I don't have any nice people to lure me away, you see.

By the way, if philosophers aren't pissing people off, they're not doing their job right. Your idea of a philosopher is a guy in white coat with a microscope in his face.
30-08-2014, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2014 08:59 AM by GirlyMan.)
(30-08-2014 08:43 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(29-08-2014 04:50 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Jesus Christ dude. You really have no clue about The First Rule of Holes do you? You need to just stop talking about physics and shit 'cause you got no proper training and you sound like a stoned teenager. Furthermore your metaphysics is basically woo with no rigor behind it whatsoever so you should probably stop representing yourself as a proper philosopher. ... Consider ... You should probably just stop talking unless you're some sorta masochist who enjoys making a fool of himself.
So, I am making a fool of myself by talking about physics because I've got no proper training. But you are not making a fool of yourself by talking about metaphysics even though you probably haven't even read the damn Wikipedia article. Dodgy

Well if you want to get into willy wagging, Minor in Philosophy from University of Maryland prepared me nicely for a Masters in Artificial Intelligence from Johns Hopkins. Remind me where you received your training again? Drinking Beverage

(30-08-2014 08:43 AM)Luminon Wrote:  By the way, if philosophers aren't pissing people off, they're not doing their job right. Your idea of a philosopher is a guy in white coat with a microscope in his face.

I know philosophers, I've worked with philosophers, and Lumidiculous, you're no philosopher.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-08-2014, 08:58 AM
(30-08-2014 08:43 AM)Luminon Wrote:  By the way, if philosophers aren't pissing people off, they're not doing their job right. Your idea of a philosopher is a guy in white coat with a microscope in his face.

Ah yes, your famous ability to read minds resurfaces. What am *I* thinking, Lumi?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post