Poll: Allah, Yahweh, atheist? Left wing, right wing, no wing?
Left wing
Right wing
No wing
[Show Results]

No wing: political equivalent to atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2014, 09:07 AM
RE: No wing: political equivalent to atheism?
(30-08-2014 08:46 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Well if you want to get into willy waggling, Minor in Philosophy from University of Maryland prepared me nicely for a Masters in Artificial Intelligence from Johns Hopkins. Where did you receive your training again? Drinking Beverage
This shouldn't matter to philosophers.
But to get you an answer, a slightly libertarian private college, plus courses of informatics, philosophy of science and of language years ago. Plus lifetime of self-education and practice, which is what matters the most.
My question: what is that you do philosophically? What have you thought of and written down? What do you talk about to people? Made anyone angry or uncomfortable or grateful with words alone?
My guess is that your idea of a philosopher is a guy who offends mainly Christians and brow-beats the rest by academic degrees. I am in a humanities master's program now on a state school and there is nothing that would even remotely change anything piss off anybody. If philosophy courses on state schools could change anything, ministry officials would slowly and imperceptibly reduce their funding to obscurity log ago.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2014, 09:10 AM
(30-08-2014 09:07 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Plus lifetime of self-education and practice, which is what matters the most.

That's what matters the least, ol' Lumi.

By your own admission, the entire stated purpose of your "self-education" is explicit confirmation bias.

That's the opposite of learning.

(30-08-2014 09:07 AM)Luminon Wrote:  My guess is that your idea of a philosopher is a guy who offends mainly Christians and brow-beats the rest by academic degrees.

Your guesses as to what other people think are invariably ludicrously off-base.

This is no exception.

(30-08-2014 09:07 AM)Luminon Wrote:  If philosophy courses on state schools could change anything, ministry officials would slowly and imperceptibly reduce their funding to obscurity log ago.

Fuckin "lol conspiracy". EEuuuugh.

Never change, ol' Lumi.

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
30-08-2014, 09:24 AM
This was beautiful, Lumi tried to go appeal to authority on Girly but Girly's creds are way better than his so now he had to do an immediate 180. This thread rides the border between funny and sad, man I hope this is just an act because if this is legitimately how he acts he is going to be a miserable person.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
30-08-2014, 09:26 AM
(30-08-2014 09:07 AM)Luminon Wrote:  My question: what is that you do philosophically?

I capture reasoning in code for a living. We are working towards capturing cognition in code (it's gonna happen). What do you do?

(30-08-2014 09:07 AM)Luminon Wrote:  What have you thought of and written down?

Do you program? If not you wouldn't understand it.

(30-08-2014 09:07 AM)Luminon Wrote:  What do you talk about to people?

I don't.

(30-08-2014 09:07 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Made anyone angry or uncomfortable or grateful with words alone?

Why the fuck would I want to do that?

(30-08-2014 09:07 AM)Luminon Wrote:  My guess is that your idea of a philosopher is a guy who offends mainly Christians and brow-beats the rest by academic degrees.

You really suck at guessing. Some of my best philosophy instructors were highly religious.

#sigh
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-08-2014, 09:36 AM
All I'm saying is, once you manage to perturb the mellow majesty that is the bearded buddha of programing himself (lets face it, I can be rather quick to lunge for the jugular), you've passed into a sublime level of stupidity, arrogance, and narcissism. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
30-08-2014, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2014 10:26 AM by Luminon.)
(30-08-2014 09:26 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I capture reasoning in code for a living. We are working towards capturing cognition in code (it's gonna happen). What do you do?
So you're a computer scientist, which from the point of view of philosophy, is an artisan, it's an instrumental rationality, not value (virtue) rationality of how human life should be best lived. Very well, most of instrumental or any work takes place within a scientific field.

As for me, I do therapy, I confront my nightmares, fears and weaknesses. It doesn't go well together with exchanging labor for currency, not until I'm done.

(30-08-2014 09:26 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Do you program? If not you wouldn't understand it.
Yes, I programmed for 5 years as a hobby. Won a prize once, for an experimental game.

(30-08-2014 09:26 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I don't.
Well then, welcome to the world of doing something else than philosophy.

(30-08-2014 09:26 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-08-2014 09:07 AM)Luminon Wrote:  Made anyone angry or uncomfortable or grateful with words alone?
Why the fuck would I want to do that?
You? I don't know why. But a philosopher would, to change himself, other people and the whole society.

(30-08-2014 09:26 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You really suck at guessing. Some of my best philosophy instructors were highly religious.
Mine too. So what?
I see you are a computer science guy, not a philosopher. Nothing wrong with that.
One problem of philosophy is, everyone needs it to live well, everyone dabbles in it, everyone claims they know it, that they know what is true, just and virtuous, many claim they learned it in academia... But that's all nonsense.
There is a reason why the world sucks and it's not all just religion.
If philosophy was truly known and practiced, there would be no wars and no warmongers, little crime, little suffering, little debt, little religion and so on. All of these problems exist because people misinterpret and underestimate philosophy. They are comfortable saying that they do not know and do not practice obstetrics or airplane piloting, but they are not comfortable to say that about philosophical disciplines, which are more rare and specialized than that. Ask yourself why are you not comfortable about that.

(30-08-2014 09:36 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  All I'm saying is, once you manage to perturb the mellow majesty that is the bearded buddha of programing himself (lets face it, I can be rather quick to lunge for the jugular), you've passed into a sublime level of stupidity, arrogance, and narcissism. Drinking Beverage
If you say that
- someone's expertise in programming gives him a free pass on his competence in other fields or his virtue of character, or
- my objections to him in the field of metaphysics somehow perturb his competence in other fields,
you've done that to him as well, although in a subtler way.
30-08-2014, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2014 10:35 AM by GirlyMan.)
(30-08-2014 10:20 AM)Luminon Wrote:  As for me, I do therapy, ...

You might wanna consider looking into another therapist 'cause this one don't seem to be working out for you.

(30-08-2014 10:20 AM)Luminon Wrote:  So you're a computer scientist, which from the point of view of philosophy, is an artisan, it's an instrumental rationality, ... I see you are a computer science guy, not a philosopher. Nothing wrong with that.

You really are quite dim. An AI researcher is both philosopher and computer scientist. They know more philosophy than a computer scientist and more computer science than a philosopher. ... Goddam if you ain't dim. You really should google shit before you make claims to avoid further embarrassment.

(30-08-2014 10:20 AM)Luminon Wrote:  - my objections to him in the field of metaphysics somehow perturb his competence in other fields,

Remind me again of the specific training you've received in metaphysics. Or should I whip my willy out again and waggle all of my PHIL classes specifically dealing with epistemology and metaphysics?

#sigh
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-08-2014, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2014 11:00 AM by Luminon.)
(30-08-2014 10:31 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You really are quite dim. An AI researcher is both philosopher and computer scientist. They know more philosophy than a computer scientist and more computer science than a philosopher. ... Goddam if you ain't dim. You really should google shit before you make claims to avoid further embarrassment.
Well, I still don't see what this has to do with metaphysics, or moral, social or even political philosophy. The AI you work with is culturally a blank slate and you do not have to worry with AIs starting religious or political wars against each other or launching propaganda campaigns or lying to you.
The AI (or HI) I work with is a slow and buggy thing slapped on top of a powerful and incompatible monkey and lizard hardware. And almost every single person on Earth is nice and fluffy when I'm talking to the neocortex AI (which is usually within their profession field and cultural group) but once I touch borders of that small island of sanity and logic, the mammalian social brain gets irritated. If I am personally present and persist, the fight or flight response of the lizard brain might kick in.
You may be the smartest person on Earth within your field, but that has not necessarily made influence on your self-knowledge and self-control.

(30-08-2014 10:31 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You might wanna consider looking into another therapist 'cause this one don't seem to be working out for you.
That is not an argument. Compared to what? That's the reason why I doubt people's philosophical competence regardless of formal education.

(30-08-2014 10:31 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You really are quite dim. An AI researcher is both philosopher and computer scientist. They know more philosophy than a computer scientist and more computer science than a philosopher. ... Goddam if you ain't dim. You really should google shit before you make claims to avoid further embarrassment.
There is no such thing as a universal complete philosopher. I know something about philosophy of morality, language, consciousness and science. That's about it. That's what someone should google up when talking to me. What should I specifically google up when talking to you?

(30-08-2014 10:31 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Remind me again of the specific training you've received in metaphysics. Or should I whip my willy out again and waggle all of my PHIL classes specifically dealing with epistemology and metaphysics?
So you have a formal education and yet you think it is woo. (so you're not doing it right, or you're not doing new things) I'm glad I have a lifetime of self-education instead, plus some formal training in epistemology. When I started independently inventing philosophy that other modern authors did, that's good enough for me. And no, I don't mean Deepak Chopra, I mean Itzhak Bentov, for example.
30-08-2014, 10:50 AM
So far we have near 100+ pages of bullshit.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
30-08-2014, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2014 11:17 AM by GirlyMan.)
(30-08-2014 10:44 AM)Luminon Wrote:  You may be the smartest person on Earth within your field, but that has no influence on your self-knowledge and self-control.

So most of that read like gibberish but this sentence appears to indicate that you have now moved on to questioning my introspection cred. I got an Exit Bag which I constructed decades ago that I maintain and periodically contemplate as a window into the Abyss on an as needed basis. I have direct experience of "I am the Lizard King, I can do anything" surrender to the Id. Went on a walkabout in the wasteland and got lost for a year. I got a shitload more. What you got?

you know aware of a lot of things but not quite, sure of anything.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post