Noah's Ark Calculation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-06-2014, 08:07 PM
RE: Noah's Ark Calculation
(09-06-2014 07:31 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I would like to point out that fresh water would have been a huge problem. The rain would have mixed with salt water. The water across the earth would then be brackish.

It wouldn't just be brackish water; it'd be a roiling, churning, chaotic slurry that totally reshaped the Earth's surface in days.
(that's literally impossible but let's never mind that for now)

I've always wondered what the standard for "all living things" was. Obviously bronze-age goatherds didn't know a bacterium from their asses, but by any possible modern standard "life" includes a great many microscopic species which would be unaffected even by the necessary (and impossible) flood...

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
09-06-2014, 08:11 PM
(09-06-2014 08:03 PM)sporehux Wrote:  until you can prove god can't do magic, then your anti Ark evidence is moot .

Indeed.

But any literal interpretation is literally impossible, and even the true believers if pressed admit as much. The recourse is, of course, "it's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit"; that's okay so far as it goes, but if the genesis of the idea is a literal interpretation which is subsequently abandoned, there's nothing beyond a cesspool of cognitive failure to justify it.

It is an open question whether the public faces of such idiocy are true believers themselves or just like the well-paid lifestyle such lies provide.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
10-06-2014, 03:02 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 03:07 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(09-06-2014 08:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 08:03 PM)sporehux Wrote:  until you can prove god can't do magic, then your anti Ark evidence is moot .

Indeed.

But any literal interpretation is literally impossible, and even the true believers if pressed admit as much. The recourse is, of course, "it's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit"; that's okay so far as it goes, but if the genesis of the idea is a literal interpretation which is subsequently abandoned, there's nothing beyond a cesspool of cognitive failure to justify it.

It is an open question whether the public faces of such idiocy are true believers themselves or just like the well-paid lifestyle such lies provide.

[Image: def7d9f4f68bcd4e8fb5b6f67515773b.jpg]

tl;dr version

Average Rainfall to fulfill literal interpretation of the Genesis flood myth?

8710.63 inches per day, for 40 days straight. Laughat

Drinking Beverage

[Image: qce9oP7.gif]
11-06-2014, 05:47 PM
(10-06-2014 03:02 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 08:11 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Indeed.

[Image: def7d9f4f68bcd4e8fb5b6f67515773b.jpg]

tl;dr version

Average Rainfall to fulfill literal interpretation of the Genesis flood myth?

8710.63 inches per day, for 40 days straight. Laughat

Drinking Beverage

Its not 500k pairs of animals. Its 16k and even that number when added with food and not even counting noah and his family and their food and water. The numbers STILL do not add up.

That which can Never be proven true is false. - A Philosophical Razor
22-08-2014, 06:47 PM
The apologetics to the flood and the ark seem really desperate. The whole story is ludicrous for an omnipotent god.

"God works in mysterious, inefficient, and breathtakingly cruel ways."
- Penn Jillette

If somebody points out a fallacy, and you call fallacy fallacy, that doesn't mean you are right. That just means you committed the very fallacy you accused your opponent of.
[+] 1 user Likes spinosauruskin's post
24-08-2014, 06:12 PM
(09-06-2014 05:11 PM)TheSkeptic Wrote:  
(09-06-2014 12:01 PM)Doubting Thomas Wrote:  What I always wondered was if God was so almighty and powerful then why didn't he just re-create all the animals that he destroyed? Why put a 600 year old man through hell just so God can commit mass murder?

I guess God works in mysterious ways Hobo

When I discuss the Ark with Bible literalists and point out a few flaws, I always get the answer that God made it possible and Noah got help from God.

I may be a bit ignorant or bit close-minded, but as I've witnessed in my life, Yahweh doesn't seem to act in any visible or miraculous way. Now why would he created the most complex situation which was impossible for a few humans to handle, to destroy mankind, when he simply could've let every sinful human vanish. Mysterious indeed.

And people for sorry for me because of my beliefs.Huh

Yep, a simple "rapture in reverse" could have done it, and the flood didn't solve god's little problem with disobediance. Genesis also mentions the presence of the Nephilim was part of the reason for a flood. We were still disobediant after the flood and the Nephilim were still around after the flood, it accomplished nothing, what a bumbling fool YHWH is!

If I were God, I would've appeared to people in their minds, explained the best path to them, softened their hearts to receive my message. Why are my plans so much better than what the clown in the sky can come up with?

The tree of delusion is nourished by the vague promises and skewed perception of prayer. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition