Noah's Ark & Other Things

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2016, 12:33 PM
RE: Noah's Ark & Other Things
(29-03-2016 11:10 PM)SYZ Wrote:  How can the Christian theists explain the fact that after the great flood subsided, the kangaroo and the koala found their way to only one isolated, distant island on the planet? Why are there none to be found in any other country? I'll accept that the platypus—being aquatic—could've lasted long enough in a mild saline environment in order to swim to Australia (instead of, say, Madagascar which is closer), but neither the kangaroo or the koala is capable of swimming, and there was no connecting land mass for them to traverse.

And with regards to birds, how is it that crows (genus Corvus) are found in every country on the planet, whilst the cassowary (genus Casuarius) is only found in Australia? This just doesn't make any sense from a logical perspective.

There's a lot more questions surrounding the myth of Noah's ark and the flood, but these are a couple of the simpler ones for the theists to address.

(And yes, I know there's a few other Noah threads here, but I was interested from an Aussie perspective considering the number of unique animals we have here.)

All good questions. However, It is like asking the members of the Flat Earth Society to explain how circumnavigation of the world is possible while staying due east. Those infected with faith can do some amazing tap dancing as they try to convince themselves and others that their delusional view of the world is true. Meanwhile, here are some of my hammers in regards to the mythical flood, feel free to use in your future debates on this subject.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid674871

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
30-03-2016, 12:43 PM
RE: Noah's Ark & Other Thing
(30-03-2016 11:58 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 11:47 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  "Christian theists" and "the theists" imply all. If the OP qualified this with "fundamental" or even "some" then I wouldn't even have batted an eye. Hence, I wrote "a lot" because if I had written "Christian theists believe Genesis is poetry or allegory" it would have implied all of them felt that way and you would be arguing in the exact same manner as I am now.

I took "the christian theists" to mean "the CHRISTIAN theists" as opposed to "the ISLAMIST theists" or "the belief system X theists" and not as ALL christian theists.

Reading the post yet again, I don't feel that OP implied that his statement applied to ALL christians. Had he meant all, he surely would have written all.

Ok, well, as you can see, there are clearly differing interpretations of the way this was written and what it means. You feel your way, I feel mine. If the post didn't use the definitive article and instead used an infinitive or just a qualifier we wouldn't be in this mess.

I have plenty more I can say about this to solidify my stance but it's futile. We both understand what each other means, so that's good enough for me.

So, I'll return to my second question, it's not very often that people ask these questions about Jewish people, why is that? Most of the shit people complain about is from the OT, written by Jews, yet the vitriol and disdain is aimed at Christians. Why?

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-03-2016, 12:44 PM
(30-03-2016 12:33 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(29-03-2016 11:10 PM)SYZ Wrote:  How can the Christian theists explain the fact that after the great flood subsided, the kangaroo and the koala found their way to only one isolated, distant island on the planet? Why are there none to be found in any other country? I'll accept that the platypus—being aquatic—could've lasted long enough in a mild saline environment in order to swim to Australia (instead of, say, Madagascar which is closer), but neither the kangaroo or the koala is capable of swimming, and there was no connecting land mass for them to traverse.

And with regards to birds, how is it that crows (genus Corvus) are found in every country on the planet, whilst the cassowary (genus Casuarius) is only found in Australia? This just doesn't make any sense from a logical perspective.

There's a lot more questions surrounding the myth of Noah's ark and the flood, but these are a couple of the simpler ones for the theists to address.

(And yes, I know there's a few other Noah threads here, but I was interested from an Aussie perspective considering the number of unique animals we have here.)

All good questions. However, It is like asking the members of the Flat Earth Society to explain how circumnavigation of the world is possible while staying due east. Those infected with faith can do some amazing tap dancing as they try to convince themselves and others that their delusional view of the world is true. Meanwhile, here are some of my hammers in regards to the mythical flood, feel free to use in your future debates on this subject.

Nice piece of writing btw.Thumbsup

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post
30-03-2016, 01:48 PM
Noah's Ark & Other Things
I just want them to explain monotremes.
30-03-2016, 06:59 PM
(30-03-2016 12:44 PM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 12:33 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  All good questions. However, It is like asking the members of the Flat Earth Society to explain how circumnavigation of the world is possible while staying due east. Those infected with faith can do some amazing tap dancing as they try to convince themselves and others that their delusional view of the world is true. Meanwhile, here are some of my hammers in regards to the mythical flood, feel free to use in your future debates on this subject.

Nice piece of writing btw.Thumbsup

Thanks, that was one of my early go to hammers for ripping apart YECs. Laughat

Flex

Laugh out load

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
30-03-2016, 07:25 PM
All animals that weren't allowed into Noah's ark had no choice but to build air balloons to travel around with until the waters of the flood subsided. The kangaroos and koalas were in the same balloon that landed in Australia.

[Image: kanga_zps33qtra6c.jpg]

Or, you know...they evolved there, if you wanna believe that kind of silly nonsense.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like SitaSky's post
31-03-2016, 02:20 AM
I heard that the kangaroos transported smaller marsupials in their pouches, while giving the koalas piggybacks.
[+] 1 user Likes PaddyOdoors's post
31-03-2016, 03:10 AM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2016 11:26 AM by god has no twitter account.)
(30-03-2016 12:43 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 11:58 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  I took "the christian theists" to mean "the CHRISTIAN theists" as opposed to "the ISLAMIST theists" or "the belief system X theists" and not as ALL christian theists.

Reading the post yet again, I don't feel that OP implied that his statement applied to ALL christians. Had he meant all, he surely would have written all.

Ok, well, as you can see, there are clearly differing interpretations of the way this was written and what it means. You feel your way, I feel mine. If the post didn't use the definitive article and instead used an infinitive or just a qualifier we wouldn't be in this mess.

I have plenty more I can say about this to solidify my stance but it's futile. We both understand what each other means, so that's good enough for me.

So, I'll return to my second question, it's not very often that people ask these questions about Jewish people, why is that? Most of the shit people complain about is from the OT, written by Jews, yet the vitriol and disdain is aimed at Christians. Why?

I can live with that too.

I can honestly say that I have never seen a Jew stand on a street corner/in a town center/come to my home/put leaflets through my door in an attempt to convert me to their faith. Jews stay out of my life. They cause me no offense whatsoever. I have no problems with them.

christards, on the other hand, extol the so-called virtues of christardology on street corners and in town centres. They leaflet my house. They knock on my door. All of this in order to convert me to their religtardology and, when I won't, they threaten me by telling me that I am going to hell and will burn there for eternity. Anyone who threatens me with burning in hell for eternity tends to generate a certain amount of vitriol and disdain.

Not only that, christards affect the laws of the UK since cofe bishops have 26 seats in the House of Lords. I am not a christard. Why should they be able to affect life in the UK, especially as they are non-elected?

Also, christards go on to Atheist forums and disrupt proceedings, even though they are rarely banned. Offhand, I can't actually remember someone who professed to be of the Jewish persuasion doing this. It's just not their style.

Also, why Jews and not, for example, Hindus? Just interested is all.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post
31-03-2016, 12:51 PM
(30-03-2016 07:25 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  All animals that weren't allowed into Noah's ark had no choice but to build air balloons to travel around with until the waters of the flood subsided. The kangaroos and koalas were in the same balloon that landed in Australia.

[Image: kanga_zps33qtra6c.jpg]

Or, you know...they evolved there, if you wanna believe that kind of silly nonsense.

(31-03-2016 02:20 AM)PaddyOdoors Wrote:  I heard that the kangaroos transported smaller marsupials in their pouches, while giving the koalas piggybacks.

Problem solved.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
[+] 1 user Likes stevec's post
31-03-2016, 01:17 PM
(31-03-2016 03:10 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(30-03-2016 12:43 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Ok, well, as you can see, there are clearly differing interpretations of the way this was written and what it means. You feel your way, I feel mine. If the post didn't use the definitive article and instead used an infinitive or just a qualifier we wouldn't be in this mess.

I can live with that too.

I can honestly say that I have never seen a Jew stand on a street corner/in a town center/come to my home/put leaflets through my door in an attempt to convert me to their faith. Jews stay out of my life. They cause me no offense whatsoever. I have no problems with them.

christards, on the other hand, extol the so-called virtues of christardology on street corners and in town centres. They leaflet my house. They knock on my door. All of this in order to convert me to their religtardology and, when I won't, they threaten me by telling me that I am going to hell and will burn there for eternity. Anyone who threatens me with burning in hell for eternity tends to generate a certain amount of vitriol and disdain.

Not only that, christards affect the laws of the UK since cofe bishops have 26 seats in the House of Lords. I am not a christard. Why should they be able to affect life in the UK, especially as they are non-elected?

Also, christards go on to Atheist forums and disrupt proceedings, even though they are rarely banned. Offhand, I can't actually remember someone who professed to be of the Jewish persuasion doing this. It's just not their style.

Also, why Jews and not, for example, Hindus? Just interested is all.

I agree with your standpoint, of course. But the arrogance and annoyance of Christianity still doesn't answer my question. The Jews wrote most of the book over which many people take Christians to task, namely the problems with the OT. So it just perplexes me why people like the original poster automatically accuse Christians for not seeing the problems with Noah's Ark when Jews wrote it.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user