Noah's Ark - The REAL Story

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
29-04-2010, 11:05 AM

Noah's Ark - The REAL Story
Just finished watching this 5-part video set, posted by YouTube user dreamy2. The original video comes from BBC.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dreamy2#p/u/4/F3crU7qjbAQ

I won't go into too much detail, except for what is posted:

"According to the Bible, a global flood occurred about 5000 years ago and after the catastrophe, Noah and his family landed in the Mountains of Ararat. Geologically --and logically--, is it possible to believe such a story?

Archaeological datas show that the deluge is a different version of Sumerian epic of Gilgamesh and the king in the story who survived the flood was turned into Noah by the Jewish priests.

This is the true story of a famous epic found in the Bible, the Koran and the Torah."

Comments are welcome.
Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2010, 11:10 AM

RE: Noah's Ark - The REAL Story
I'm probably gonna hit the gym to do an hour workout, then watch this. I'm very interested in it. BBC documentary's don't tend to ever do me wrong. Big fan of the Planet Earth series as well.
29-04-2010, 11:15 AM
It definitely looks interesting. Also, I'm glad each time anyone points out to the fact that the Noah's Ark story was in fact a shameless rip-off from Mesopotamian mythology.

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2010, 11:27 AM

"Also, I'm glad each time anyone points out to the fact that the Noah's Ark story was in fact a shameless rip-off from Mesopotamian mythology."

...who isn't aware of this? (Yes, I realize what I am writing.)
29-04-2010, 11:29 AM

The series definitely lends credence to the fact that NO evidence (as expected by Christian) will be found to suggest the biblical version is true.

What would interest me is if evidence of the REAL Sumerian king of the story is possibly based on is found that it would put all these Christian ramblings to silence, once and for all. Well, we'd hope anyway... Wink
29-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Quote:...who isn't aware of this? (Yes, I realize what I am writing.)
Ummm a lot people? If you know about it, or if I know about, or even if many people know about it, doesn't mean that everybody does know about it. Most people I know don't, as do all those who have never taken the bother to study mythology. Which, I reckon, would be a vast majority.

Now, if what you meant was restricted to this forum only, then probably most, if not all, are aware of it. However, the world is not limited to the TTAF, therefore there is no reason why you should believe that everyone shares your knowledge, and if you do that means you're living in an ivory tower (not a personal attack there!). There are many, many ignorant people in the world, unfortunately.

Besides, I wasn't implying that it's not a widely known fact. I only said I was glad each time someone pointed out to it, because it's a living proof that the Bible is far from being original.

Capisci?

All learning is quite useless if you haven't learned to question what you learn.
29-04-2010, 11:49 AM

Thus, 'Yes, I realize what I am writing.' Wink

It's just...this information is quite literally readily available, and free for the taking; especially with the internet at ones fingertips.

It's like talking to someone who claims disney's Mulan is an original story.

Hey guys, look at me! I made an original recipe, I took a burger, and stuck a raw potato on it! Totally original. ^_^
29-04-2010, 11:59 AM

I would say that most literalists do not know Sumerian story or "the Sumerians got it from us".

When mentioning to my literalist brother that there is absolutely no evidence that the biblical flood ever took place he stated "sure there is, just look at all the sea shell fossils on top of mountains". I bow my head to the utter stupidity of that statement.
29-04-2010, 12:06 PM
(29-04-2010 11:49 AM)Ceryle Wrote:  Thus, 'Yes, I realize what I am writing.' Wink

It's just...this information is quite literally readily available, and free for the taking; especially with the internet at ones fingertips.

Of course it is. But in order to find it you must either look for it, or come across it accidentally, and this latter case would also imply some sort of interest in the subject, otherwise you'd just end up ignoring it. And seriously, how many of the 'average' inhabitants of planet Earth are really interested in the long-forgotten tales of ancient civilizations?

Besides, this wasn't the only account of a flood. There were other deluge myths in Asia, Australia ad Europe (although the Mesopotamian one was that which the Bible drew its inspiration from, for the obvious reasons of geographical proximity). I confess I was always amused by the explanations given to these parallel myths (and I'm not only talking about the deluge here) by Christian apologists: that they were 'specks' of truth stolen by a rebel angel and transmitted to humans belonging to other cultures in order to 'tempt' the true believers and make them stray from the narrow path.

29-04-2010, 12:14 PM

And yet yesterday on ABC! Rolleyes

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/...d-19362376

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Real Reasons for Ratzinger's Retirement Mark Fulton 92 4,240 16-07-2014 07:47 AM
Last Post: Skippy538
  Share your de-conversion story Hughsie 168 11,131 11-07-2014 08:25 PM
Last Post: Nogon
  Another apologetic, made up, sob story making the rounds Full Circle 17 372 09-07-2014 10:00 AM
Last Post: Fodder_From_The_Truth
  Proof Yahweh isn't real. TSG 40 1,927 18-06-2014 12:57 PM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid
  If it was real... part 1 TheStraightener 27 372 29-05-2014 08:09 AM
Last Post: djkamilo
  Mr Deity covers Noah's Ark Hafnof 1 67 20-05-2014 09:10 AM
Last Post: Momsurroundedbyboys
  Nativity story differences Chrisinfp 13 287 15-05-2014 05:20 PM
Last Post: Minimalist