Noah's Flood vs Aquatic Fauna

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2014, 09:05 AM
RE: Noah's Flood vs Aquatic Fauna
No doubt Noah had a pair of the "fish" kind on board the ark. All of the modern species are derived from these, and we know that genetic information has degenerated over time from a previous perfect state. This means that all of the abilities to live in every environment would have been present in the initial breeding pair.

You know it makes sense.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2014, 10:12 AM
(11-02-2014 07:15 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Not to mention creatures that require shallow water. Creatures that live on the sea bed, close to the shore... Like coral reefs.

Considering that to completely flood the planet, you'd end up with an ocean about 14 miles deep at its deepest point.

I'm afraid Nemo would be fucked.

If Earth were flooded to the top of Everest, the depth of water would be over 29000 feet. Since every 33 feet of water adds 1 unit of atmospheric pressure (14 psi/1 bar), pressure at the CURRENT sea level would be about 880 atmospheres. Ouch!! Squashed Nemo.

The other problem is light. If you've ever snorkelled or dived, you'll know that light disappears pretty quickly as you go deeper. Even by 30 feet, reds and yellows are gone and everything is blue with a touch of green. A couple of hundred feet down, everything is black (so I'm told - no personal experience). So even the flora wouldn't survive.
[+] 2 users Like jockmcdock's post
14-02-2014, 10:52 AM
(14-02-2014 10:12 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(11-02-2014 07:15 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Not to mention creatures that require shallow water. Creatures that live on the sea bed, close to the shore... Like coral reefs.

Considering that to completely flood the planet, you'd end up with an ocean about 14 miles deep at its deepest point.

If Earth were flooded to the top of Everest, the depth of water would be over 29000 feet. Since every 33 feet of water adds 1 unit of atmospheric pressure (14 psi/1 bar), pressure at the CURRENT sea level would be about 880 atmospheres. Ouch!! Squashed Nemo.

The other problem is light. If you've ever snorkelled or dived, you'll know that light disappears pretty quickly as you go deeper. Even by 30 feet, reds and yellows are gone and everything is blue with a touch of green. A couple of hundred feet down, everything is black (so I'm told - no personal experience). So even the flora wouldn't survive.

And that's just the pressure at current sea level... Imagine the pressure at the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

Most of the really deep dwelling creatures could in theory move to shallower waters, but creatures that naturally survive in the shallows would be crushed by the pressure.

Not to mention the plant life, which as you say would be in complete darkness, bringing photosynthesis to a halt.

I remember reading that the amount of rainfall required would have raised atmospheric pressure to lethal levels. So Noah and all land animals would be fucked too, before even a drop of rain fell.

"We have discovered happiness" -- say the Last Men, and they blink. - Nietzsche
14-02-2014, 10:54 AM
(14-02-2014 10:52 AM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 10:12 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  If Earth were flooded to the top of Everest, the depth of water would be over 29000 feet. Since every 33 feet of water adds 1 unit of atmospheric pressure (14 psi/1 bar), pressure at the CURRENT sea level would be about 880 atmospheres. Ouch!! Squashed Nemo.

And that's just the pressure at current sea level... Imagine the pressure at the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

Most of the really deep dwelling creatures could in theory move to shallower waters, but creatures that naturally survive in the shallows would be crushed by the pressure.

Not to mention the plant life, which as you say would be in complete darkness, bringing photosynthesis to a halt.

I remember reading that the amount of rainfall required would have raised atmospheric pressure to lethal levels. So Noah and all land animals would be fucked too, before even a drop of rain fell.

And if that didn't kill everything, then the rain itself would be lethal. It would literally be raining over 100x times the highest rainfall ever recorded.
...which would go through sheet metal... Good luck!

Religion is the frozen thought of man out of which they build temples.
~Jiddu Krishnamurti
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
14-02-2014, 12:46 PM
(14-02-2014 10:54 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  And if that didn't kill everything, then the rain itself would be lethal. It would literally be raining over 100x times the highest rainfall ever recorded.

So im guessing the ark didn't last long did it. God doesn't plan well does he.

[Image: guilmon_evolution_by_davidgtm3-d4gb5rp.gif] ロイヤルナイトとデジタルモンスタ
14-02-2014, 01:08 PM
(14-02-2014 12:46 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 10:54 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  And if that didn't kill everything, then the rain itself would be lethal. It would literally be raining over 100x times the highest rainfall ever recorded.

So im guessing the ark didn't last long did it. God doesn't plan well does he.

Pretty much, though who am I to question god right?

Religion is the frozen thought of man out of which they build temples.
~Jiddu Krishnamurti
14-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Pretty much, though who am I to question god right?
[/quote]

some one who is real and not a fictional character used to make pastors money

[Image: guilmon_evolution_by_davidgtm3-d4gb5rp.gif] ロイヤルナイトとデジタルモンスタ
20-02-2014, 08:12 AM
If theo was a noob here, I'd understand but since he (or she) isn't, there is no excuse for posting a link from AIG.
20-02-2014, 10:09 AM
(14-02-2014 10:12 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  

Note: If the sea rose to cover Mt. Everest, the air pressure at that sea level would be about the same as that at the current sea level.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-02-2014, 12:57 PM
(20-02-2014 10:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 10:12 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  If Earth were flooded to the top of Everest, the depth of water would be over 29000 feet. Since every 33 feet of water adds 1 unit of atmospheric pressure (14 psi/1 bar), pressure at the CURRENT sea level would be about 880 atmospheres. Ouch!! Squashed Nemo.

Note: If the sea rose to cover Mt. Everest, the air pressure at that sea level would be about the same as that at the current sea level.

Yes you're right.

But believers claim that the rainfall came from a "water canopy" encircling the globe. I read a figure on Talk Origins saying that that amount of water vapor in the atmosphere would raise the atmospheric pressure to lethal levels causing mass extinction before even a drop fell as rain.

"We have discovered happiness" -- say the Last Men, and they blink. - Nietzsche