Noah's flood confirmed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2014, 10:57 AM
RE: Noah's flood confirmed
(15-06-2014 10:42 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 10:19 AM)One Above All Wrote:  I sincerely hope you're joking.

Yes, I'm joking.

See what happens when you leave your Obscene Jokes section?

Get back in there where we know you're being funny.

Angry

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
15-06-2014, 11:03 AM
(15-06-2014 08:24 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  It's an interesting finding. If the "oozing" hypothesis comes to displace cometary collision it would rewrite an nice little chunk of the formation of our modern hydrosphere.

Noah's Ooze does have a certain je ne sais quoi.

After Noah's Ooze came Noah's Blues and then Noah's Booze Snooze (says the Jews). Big Grin

Blush

I'll get my coat.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
15-06-2014, 11:12 AM
(15-06-2014 10:51 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  To be fair the bible never gives an age of the earth, in fact the whole young earth thing is relatively new to Christianity.

That's why I said "implies". If it said outright "the Earth is 10,000 years old", it'd be "infers".

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
15-06-2014, 12:03 PM
(15-06-2014 10:51 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
The Bible also implies that the Earth is no more than 10,000 years old. How much smaller do you think Mount Everest was 10,000 years ago? The answer is: not enough to make a difference. Not to mention the fact that no civilization on Earth realized that they were dead. The biosphere was not irrevocably damaged - fish didn't die (salt water is not the same as fresh water, and a big enough difference will kill any and all fish) - trees didn't stop producing oxygen (ever heard of a tree surviving underwater for 150 days after not having any sunlight for 40 additional days? Me neither), the millions upon millions of species somehow all fit inside a boat that, by its description and the laws of physics, couldn't even float.
Need I go on?

To be fair the bible never gives an age of the earth, in fact the whole young earth thing is relatively new to Christianity.

It isn't explicit, but describing life histories in countable years for the entire patriarchal geneology sure as heck adds up to a pretty low number.

Belief in a recent creation was common to all pre-modern societies. There was simply no way for anyone to know otherwise - we've known the true ages of things for less then a century. So that explains perfectly well why the Israelites (and the Babylonians, Egyptians, and later Greeks they stole their cosmology from) figured on a few thousand years total, with the Earth as of creation looking more or less like it did at the time (the same peoples, places, animals, etc). That was the way everyone looked at the past.

So while it's true that explicit young-Earth creationism only arose once there was serious evidence for an alternative (in the latter 19th century), the implicit belief goes back right to the origins.

But of course, anyone who's knowledge was actually revealed by god should damn well have known better all along.

... this is my signature!
[+] 4 users Like cjlr's post
15-06-2014, 12:12 PM
(15-06-2014 11:12 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(15-06-2014 10:51 AM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  To be fair the bible never gives an age of the earth, in fact the whole young earth thing is relatively new to Christianity.

That's why I said "implies". If it said outright "the Earth is 10,000 years old", it'd be "infers".

Fair enough

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
15-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Creationists are pushing hard to indoctrinate kids into a young earth theory, as it makes the case for evolution seem absurd.
Same to too for bible literalism, as to have doubts of any story would undermine the whole.

I bet Ken Ham has already claimed this "observational" science as his smoking gun.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
17-06-2014, 08:36 AM
The Bible also implies that the Earth is no more than 10,000 years old. How much smaller do you think Mount Everest was 10,000 years ago? The answer is: not enough to make a difference. Not to mention the fact that no civilization on Earth realized that they were dead. The biosphere was not irrevocably damaged - fish didn't die (salt water is not the same as fresh water, and a big enough difference will kill any and all fish) - trees didn't stop producing oxygen (ever heard of a tree surviving underwater for 150 days after not having any sunlight for 40 additional days? Me neither), the millions upon millions of species somehow all fit inside a boat that, by its description and the laws of physics, couldn't even float.
Need I go on?

Of course, he's joking, but there are plenty of people who aren't.

I wasted way too much time talking to one of these clowns on AF who believed that the flood somehow (and not magically, mind you) sped up continental drift and the formation of mountain ranges, while simultaneously leaving fragile rock formations intact. The whole context of the discussion was how he felt the flood had scientific causes and that he could prove it.

AiG is fed by people such as him. It's the whole reason that site exists.
17-06-2014, 09:40 AM
(17-06-2014 08:36 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
Need I go on?

Of course, he's joking, but there are plenty of people who aren't.

I wasted way too much time talking to one of these clowns on AF who believed that the flood somehow (and not magically, mind you) sped up continental drift and the formation of mountain ranges, while simultaneously leaving fragile rock formations intact. The whole context of the discussion was how he felt the flood had scientific causes and that he could prove it.

AiG is fed by people such as him. It's the whole reason that site exists.

I've always wondered about the people who "need" everything in the bible to be literally true. Is their faith so weak that any crack in the armor causes the whole house of cards to fall? AiG people are a very small minority, generally considered batshit insane even by other christians, and they seem to be the only ones that feel this way. 98% of christians cherry-pick the bible and just think anything really stupid like the flood of the garden of eden or that they can't eat shellfish is allegorical yet they are just as firm in the bits they choose to believe (most with little to no biblical support) as the extra crazed fundies are in theirs. It almost as if the lady doth protest too much methinks.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
17-06-2014, 10:26 AM
(17-06-2014 09:40 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I've always wondered about the people who "need" everything in the bible to be literally true. Is their faith so weak that any crack in the armor causes the whole house of cards to fall?

My friend on FaceBook, and many of his friend seem to fit the bill. At least, they claim God's word is infallible and the Bible is 100% accurate.

I was sort of like that about ten years ago. Not a 100% literalist, but the more stuff looked less and less true, the more I wondered what the point of it all was. I was okay with non-falsifiable apologetics for a while, but then I started to wonder why I needed to believe in a religion I was obviously making up as I went along.
17-06-2014, 11:07 AM
Quote:The title the story was given is deceptive.

Successful enough for jesus freaks to spend the next five years jerking off to it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!