Noahs ark found in turkey, what is the scientific explanation?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2012, 11:35 PM
RE: Noahs ark found in turkey, what is the scientific explanation?
(13-12-2012 10:47 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 10:38 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Considering that the Epic of Gilgamesh was a Babylonian myth, and the story of Noah's Ark first appeared around the time the Babylonian Captivity was ending, and there are numerous similarities between the two... It's not just conjecture. People A are exposed to People B's culture for a hundred years, then People A start having culture that's very, very similar to People B's culture... Connect the fucking dots, man.
"Fucking dots" only connect to make a picture if somebody set it up to be so, otherwise you're making a picture of your own imagination. Something following another thing, even if they *seem* related, are not necessarily so. One would have to prove causation, and I'm not sure that's even possible so long after the fact.

Yes, it's conjecture. Yes, it's a fallacy. The fact that one follows the other and that there are "numerous similarities" are points I addressed, and they still fall within the definition of "correlation" only, not "causation".

Yeah yeah, induction is impossible. We get it, this isn't first year logic at uni. Induction cannot arrive at logical certainties, we all know this and making a fuss about it is childish. There's no way to reconstruct history except through induction, which is based on probability and likelihoods, and I place the probability that Noah's Ark was derived from the Epic of Gilgamesh to be rather high.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
14-12-2012, 01:02 AM
(13-12-2012 02:51 PM)pianodwarf Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 02:42 PM)Jonnyboy Wrote:  I am actually an atheist but I just came across some articles that say that noahs ark was found in turkey, what is the scientific explanation for a ship 515 feet (like it said in the bible) on a mountain 13,000 feet high?

If anyone ever finds a 515-foot long ship on a mountain 13,000 feet high, then there will be a need for a scientific explanation. But that hasn't happened yet, so there's nothing to explain.

If we ever find the remains of a ship 13k feet in the mountains, I am sure it won't be the type that sails on water and judging by the wreckage being found not rated for atmosphere either. Drinking Beverage
14-12-2012, 01:34 AM
(13-12-2012 08:34 PM)Janus Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 06:57 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I wouldn't rule it out. That thing exploded. Big time. I know it was a galaxy far far away, but it was, after all, a long time ago. Who knows where all the Deathstar metal ended up? Maybe it was long enough ago for some of that metal to end up here on earth.

Just like those Mars rocks that supposedly were chipped off of Mars by an asteroid or comet impact, then flung across 100 million miles of gravity holes and bumps infested space to land in Earth's Antarctica, where 'we' found them. Someone had very good aim!
WTF are "gravity holes" and "bumps infested space"?

I think somebody else is in a (drug induced) galaxy far, far away...

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
14-12-2012, 06:20 AM
My point was that finding something and then attributing it to a fictional story is the same as attributing to any other fictional story with the same background.

If I found a crystal in the forest and then claimed it was the same crystal described in ______ fill in a story name, then
I can also easily say it was the same crystal found in another story.

Finding a an old plank of wood in the mountains where people can travel to is simply an old plank of wood.
I'm sure at some point in the last 10,000 years someone traveled up there with some crates on a donkeys back exploring the mountain.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
14-12-2012, 08:12 AM
(13-12-2012 08:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 08:34 PM)Janus Wrote:  Just like those Mars rocks that supposedly were chipped off of Mars by an asteroid or comet impact, then flung across 100 million miles of gravity holes and bumps infested space to land in Earth's Antarctica, where 'we' found them. Someone had very good aim!
Your incredulity doesn't make it untrue. Drinking Beverage

Agreed. It only makes it an incredibly tall story! Very much like the entire bible. Which your incredulity doesn't make untrue either.
14-12-2012, 08:14 AM
(14-12-2012 08:12 AM)Janus Wrote:  
(13-12-2012 08:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your incredulity doesn't make it untrue. Drinking Beverage

Agreed. It only makes it an incredibly tall story! Very much like the entire bible. Which your incredulity doesn't make untrue either.

What makes this true and the Bible untrue is evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2012, 08:16 AM
(14-12-2012 08:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 08:12 AM)Janus Wrote:  Agreed. It only makes it an incredibly tall story! Very much like the entire bible. Which your incredulity doesn't make untrue either.

What makes this true and the Bible untrue is evidence.

OK, lay that evidence on me.
14-12-2012, 08:18 AM
(14-12-2012 08:16 AM)Janus Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 08:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  What makes this true and the Bible untrue is evidence.

OK, lay that evidence on me.

Which? Meteorites or Bible?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
14-12-2012, 08:49 AM
Alright, let's set aside the fact that any and all claims of Noah's ark have been completely debunked upon presentation. Let's pretend they did find an ark.

515 feet is nowhere near large enough to contain just two of the billions upon billions of species that have ever existed on this planet. Ricky Gervais gave a really good explanation of this in a stand-up show.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
14-12-2012, 10:02 AM
This is pretty much all there is to say about this topic:

"I don't know of any expedition that ever went looking for the ark and didn't find it."
- Paul Zimansky

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post