Noam Chomsky. Racing to the precipice.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2017, 11:43 PM
Noam Chomsky. Racing to the precipice.
Unsure where to leave this. I found it interesting.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
11-09-2017, 03:37 AM
RE: Noam Chomsky. Racing to the precipice.
Have watched quite a few speeches/interviews of him. Still dont really know what to think about him. He either seems to have great insight or is a bit of a conspiracy theorist. In any case its very mentally challenging to listen to him.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
11-09-2017, 05:49 AM
I haven't watched the video yet but I've noticed that Noam Chomsky has recently more or less given up any hope to save the human race.
Which is kind of a bummer.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
11-09-2017, 05:51 AM
(10-09-2017 11:43 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Unsure where to leave this. I found it interesting.

The speech was primarily about climate change, so it could easily go under that discussion as well.
11-09-2017, 07:12 AM
(11-09-2017 05:49 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  I haven't watched the video yet but I've noticed that Noam Chomsky has recently more or less given up any hope to save the human race.
Which is kind of a bummer.

Me too. Noam's sadly resigned. I watch/read Mark Blyth (political economist) because he hasn't. The rage's still there.
[+] 1 user Likes Sushisnake's post
11-09-2017, 07:46 AM
The rhetoric about Global Warming has gotten very alarming.

The Point of No Return: Climate Change Nightmares Are Already Here
The worst predicted impacts of climate change are starting to happen — and much faster than climate scientists expected

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/new...e-20150805

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
11-09-2017, 08:40 AM
(11-09-2017 07:46 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  The rhetoric about Global Warming has gotten very alarming.

The Point of No Return: Climate Change Nightmares Are Already Here
The worst predicted impacts of climate change are starting to happen — and much faster than climate scientists expected

Good article, but the title was questionable. Each new day is a point of no return with climate change, since the effects will last for centuries. And I wouldn't call what the article covered the "worst predicted impacts of climate change." Those would be the feedback loops that kick in somewhere above 2 degrees C over the preindustrial average, which would result in self-reinforcing climate change. Who knows how hot the Earth will get once those take over, but they would likely result in large areas of central and South America, Africa, and southern Asia becoming uninhabitable for humans at certain times of the year, if not completely.

Luckily those are not predictions but among various projections, which all depend on what we do in the near future. What makes the current news worse, however, is the time lag involved. The oceans are so big they take 20 to 30 years to heat up from the CO2 already released, which means we won't see the full effects of current CO2 levels until that time passes.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post