Nobody seems to have understood "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2015, 07:13 AM
RE: Nobody seems to have understood "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"
Hey i have just watched the movie and there is this one part that really bothers me because it doesn't make any sense. Okay so the 25th photo turned out to be a photo of Walter examining the other negatives besides the fountain right? But by the time the photo was taken, Walter had already received / was carrying the wallet, so when did Sean put the photo in his wallet?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-06-2016, 11:09 AM
(06-06-2014 12:48 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  However, I think all the critics missed the "Secret Life" portion of Walter Mitty's character. Walter Mitty is prone to day dreams, he drifts in and out of reality several times before going on his grand adventure, and during his adventure he occasionally drifts in and out of reality thinking about his love interest, Cheryl Melhoff. This sets up Ben Stiller's character as an unreliable narrator. The big question of the movie, I believe, and one that seemed lost to the critics, was did Walter's grand and life affirming adventure actually happen or not?.

I respectively have to disagree, I think the movie began with Walter retreating to fantasy as the character had a boring life, so he thought. As he began to live his life and take risks his fantasies retreated, life began to be bigger than any fantasy he could imagine.
[+] 2 users Like Gblaze52's post
15-06-2016, 11:28 AM
(06-06-2014 01:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I won't be watching this version even though your review tempts me so to do. I simply find Stiller too irritating.

I share your opinion about Stiller, but he's not really "Ben Stiller" in the movie. He actually seems to discover an ability to act, in this one.

I thought it was a pretty good flick, thought-provoking and worth watching, but not a Great Movie™.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
15-06-2016, 12:27 PM
It's much more obvious in the original story I guess. Can't be sure because nobody offered me enough to see it in the theaters. The reserve on my time for things like that is $50,000.00U$.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2016, 01:10 PM
I saw a portion of the movie recently and the trouble is that James Thurber and the Thurberisk touch is missing. Thurber is the guy who wrote the book. If you look at Thurber's whimsical cartoons the man is usually small and mild mannered and women are sometimes larger, stronger and more aggressive.

[Image: thurber-gender.jpg]

Walter Mitty is a mild mannered, smaller than his wife. Whenever I think of Walter Mitty I always think of the actor that played Piglet in the Winnie the Pooh cartoons, John Fielder......

[Image: 2_fielder_fg_large.jpg]

.....or a modern day version of him. I certainly would never put Ben Stiller in the role.

That's just my opinion. I'll leave now.... and post some of my favorite James Thurber cartoons on my way out. Big Grin

[Image: thurber-big-animal.jpg?w=500&h=397]

[Image: 4199082928_ac99457722_o.gif]

[Image: 110613_cn-touche_p323.jpg]

[Image: thurber.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Isn't Mitty sitting in his car waiting dutifully for his wife in the original story?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2016, 04:21 PM
(15-06-2016 02:21 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Isn't Mitty sitting in his car waiting dutifully for his wife in the original story?

I believe so. I think she goes in to get her hair done at a beauty salon and he's just sitting, waiting in the car for her. It's been a long time since I've read the book though.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-06-2016, 10:19 PM
I also really enjoyed it. I thought Stiller did a great job conveying the lonesome loser without being Zoolander obnoxious.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
10-01-2017, 08:11 PM
I understand it to be deeply thought-provoking. Cool scene where daydreaming Mitty breaks through the ice cap and says he's testing the limits of the human spirit. To me this movie was nicely done. Casting Ben Stiller, who I think nailed it, had no effect on the true meaning, the premise of this film. Soundtrack was fabulous. I will watch this movie again and again.
10-01-2017, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2017 08:19 PM by Wosie.)
I'm guessing that Walter Mitty Sat by the fountain quite often and photos taken before of events occurred Maybe when Sean O'Connell came and met with his mother