Nobody would be "good" anymore if the world turned to atheism?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2014, 08:53 PM
RE: Nobody would be "good" anymore if the world turned to atheism?
1: Look at history. Atrocities happen then and happen now in the name of religion.

2: If religion never existed we probably would of come up with some similar social contracts.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2014, 09:28 PM
(18-02-2014 06:08 PM)Pearl Wrote:  ... If the rest of the world came to their senses and realized there was in fact no god, would people start doing "bad" things more ...
Anyone who resists acting badly only out of fear of retribution, whether from the victim or the police or a wrathful god, is not a moral person and is a menace to society.

If one takes the stance that morality has its roots not in ritual but knowledge, and an understanding that civilization is conscientious cooperation, not coercion or mindless obedience, then the fact that the jails are full of the pious should not be a surprise.
19-02-2014, 09:22 AM
I would be good.
19-02-2014, 12:25 PM
(18-02-2014 06:08 PM)Pearl Wrote:  ok so here is a question I often ponder......If the rest of the world came to their senses and realized there was in fact no god, would people start doing "bad" things more since they didn't have to worry about going to hell or making god angry and such?

When you say "bad" things, do you mean stuff like theft and murder, or stuff like masturbation? I see the latter as bullshit rules that people follow because Gawd. Without Gawd, they wouldn't have to worry. As for stuff like murder and theft, it's not like we don't have plenty of logical reasons to not do it.

And also, what about rape? Pretty much any rules we have regarding that came from us, not God. So, there's that. Actually, rape laws are probably the best thing to bring up to the "there'd be no morals without God!" crowd.

(18-02-2014 06:08 PM)Pearl Wrote:  It seems that many people feel that without god there would be no good.

Many people are unimaginative and eat whatever crap they're fed.
19-02-2014, 12:36 PM
(18-02-2014 08:53 PM)bemore Wrote:  1: Look at history. Atrocities happen then and happen now in the name of religion.

2: If religion never existed we probably would of come up with some similar social contracts.

This ^

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
19-02-2014, 04:15 PM
(18-02-2014 06:08 PM)Pearl Wrote:  ok so here is a question I often ponder......If the rest of the world came to their senses and realized there was in fact no god, would people start doing "bad" things more since they didn't have to worry about going to hell or making god angry and such?
Well.. even if that happens i don't think religions would stop existing they'll just modify their dogma like Buddhism.
Quote:It seems that many people feel that without god there would be no good.
They are correct there would be no good or bad.. they would be forced to take a rationalist approach towards the universe rather than a superstitious one like God... if the hurricane/flood/drought/plague whatever natural disaster kills millions we can conclude that its not "the wrath of God" or the result of "Evils of mankind" we will come to accept that its just how nature works and it isn't fine tuned for life.

All in all i think the world would just have one less problem to worry about.

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
[+] 1 user Likes IndianAtheist's post
01-03-2014, 02:21 PM
I think Penn Jillette has said it the best way for me:

Go to 29:20 in this youtube video:

"I am a knowledgeable man, I have knowledge. If I knew how I knew what I know, I would know half as much, because it would be clogged up with where I knew it from...that is why I cannot always cite my sources. - David Mitchell
"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
01-03-2014, 02:31 PM
I think that there are a lot of people who declare themselves as believers in one god or another that give religion little to no thought. I don't see any negative impact on society unless it would be when the believers get really scared that their numbers are smaller than they thought. Then I can imagine their -cough, cough- morals coming into questions as they frantically try to bring things back to their way.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
02-03-2014, 09:10 AM
I have to listen to my father and his wife spew out similar crap too. They take the stance that if this was a "Christian" nation then we wouldn't have the problems we have now.

I'd love to tell them otherwise but it would be a waste of time, breath and energy.

There are plenty of religious people who do horrific things and many even use their belief system as a rationale for their actions. In the end it isn't the religion so to speak but people who chose those actions. Their weak frame of mind simply allows them to use their philosophy as a foundation for their actions.

I am no believer in any religion and so far I haven't murdered, committed thievery, done or dealt drugs, joined or created gangs, skipped school, cheated, wrote bad checks, slandered others, vandalized anything, abused kids or animals, dated, had kids out of wedlock, incited riots, committed acts of violence, indulged in racism...the list goes on. I refrain from these things primarily because I am not that type of person and it would hurt others and make me look like a real monster.

On the other hand I do recall a group of rabid christian fanatics who held a protest outside of the funeral of a teen who simply happened to be gay. These rabid jerks claimed freedom of speech (funny how they cry freedom only when it serves them, eh?) and they had every right to do what they did regardless of how heartless and cruel they were. Sadly the courts sided with these jerks and the parents and relatives of the deceased teen have to deal with more grief.

Or how about the crack-pot woman who murdered all her children because god told her to. What about the family in mexico (or wherever) hat gouged out the eyes of their five year old because they felt it would benefit them in some stupid ritual.

The list goes on but if religion was removed from the equation then these people would have one less excuse to hide behind as they try to rationalize their behavior.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
03-03-2014, 12:29 AM
First, we have to define "good" and "bad". By Christian standards, yes, when I lost my belief in God, I became more "bad". Of course, that just means indulging in petty "sins" and not giving a shit. By most other peoples' standards, however, I'm far from a bad person.

So, if everyone stopped believing in God, yeah, by their current dogmatic standards, they'd probably become "worse" people.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user