Noisy Neighbours and soundproofing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Noisy Neighbours and soundproofing
A couple of years ago the lovely elderly couple who lived in the house adjoining mine died Sad A few months later property developers brought the house and renovated it including taking out the chimney breasts. It didn't occur to me at the time the noise impact this would have but then a family of four brought it and WHAM!! I can hear their voices and as they often seem to talk really loud to each other I often hear most of their business. They have a 3yr old who is a screamer and they allow to stay up often past midnight and they seem to have feet made of lead.

I told them a couple of times about how the noise impacted us but it continued so I reported them to the local authorities and they have had a warning. While they have reduced the noise levels I still feel as though I live with them as opposed to next door to them.

I am now considering going to the expense of some form of soundproofing before I go insane. I was wondering if anybody here had had soundproofing done and if so what type and how effective it is? I am not rich so budget is an issue and my house is not huge so I can only afford to lose, at a push, 2 inches of space per room.

Any advice/input would so very gladly received before I either beat the crap out of them or get committed Angry

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2014, 07:39 AM
RE: Noisy Neighbours and soundproofing
(27-03-2014 07:31 AM)Eva Wrote:  A couple of years ago the lovely elderly couple who lived in the house adjoining mine died Sad A few months later property developers brought the house and renovated it including taking out the chimney breasts. It didn't occur to me at the time the noise impact this would have but then a family of four brought it and WHAM!! I can hear their voices and as they often seem to talk really loud to each other I often hear most of their business. They have a 3yr old who is a screamer and they allow to stay up often past midnight and they seem to have feet made of lead.

I told them a couple of times about how the noise impacted us but it continued so I reported them to the local authorities and they have had a warning. While they have reduced the noise levels I still feel as though I live with them as opposed to next door to them.

I am now considering going to the expense of some form of soundproofing before I go insane. I was wondering if anybody here had had soundproofing done and if so what type and how effective it is? I am not rich so budget is an issue and my house is not huge so I can only afford to lose, at a push, 2 inches of space per room.

Any advice/input would so very gladly received before I either beat the crap out of them or get committed Angry

I sound insulated a friend's basement with him so he could set up a massive surround system and not bother his wife upstairs.

The key is to add mass to the wall. If it's that sound transparent, I'm going to assume that there is not insulation, as it is an inside wall.

The solution that we used and that wasn't terribly expensive was to put layers of plywood and foam insulation between the layers of drywall. The plywood will help reflect sound, and the foam absorbs the vibrations so they aren't re-transmitted. Depending on your budget and whether that solves the noise issue, you can add a second layer of drywall on your side, and for even more protection, there are sound dampening sheets you can buy to put between the two outer layers of drywall.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
27-03-2014, 07:42 AM
Here's a handy DIY site that discusses what I was talking about in more detail.

How to soundproof a wall

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
27-03-2014, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the reply INMIU.

I was looking at these rubber wall panels. I believe you stick them to the wall, use acoustic sealant where they join and edges then put drywall over the top and skim. Do you think these would work? I am trying to find reviews of people who have actually had them but can't seem to find any Sad

M20AD Rubber wall panels

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
27-03-2014, 08:38 AM
(27-03-2014 08:30 AM)Eva Wrote:  Thanks for the reply INMIU.

I was looking at these rubber wall panels. I believe you stick them to the wall, use acoustic sealant where they join and edges then put drywall over the top and skim. Do you think these would work? I am trying to find reviews of people who have actually had them but can't seem to find any Sad

M20AD Rubber wall panels

Yeah, that's exactly the type of thing you need to get for good vibration absorption. If it's worth the effort to you, this is what I would do:

Remove all the drywall from the connecting wall. Between the studs, get some Foam insulation to help dampen the sound. Sandwich the rubber noise insulation between two layers of drywall and put it back up.

It won't be completely soundproof, but it will certainly dampen it so you will only hear the loudest of noises. There are other materials that you can fill the gaps between the studs with, but they are either messy and a pain, or very expensive.

27-03-2014, 08:46 AM
I don't know zip about sound proofing. But I wish you luck. Luck, ear plugs and sleeping pills............yeah that's it. Those things I wish for you.

HeartThumbsupHeart

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
27-03-2014, 08:48 AM
Thanks again Smile

I have found a company that supplies this as a kit...the rubber panels, the adhesive and the acoustic plasterboard/drywall and you buy it by the sq/m.

My house doesn't have studded walls so these would go directly onto the brick wall. Do you think that would still work?

Hope so....now I just have to fiond a good DIYer to help me with this.

[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post
27-03-2014, 08:52 AM
(27-03-2014 08:46 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I don't know zip about sound proofing. But I wish you luck. Luck, ear plugs and sleeping pills............yeah that's it. Those things I wish for you.

HeartThumbsupHeart

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

I already sleep with headphones and a white noise app, as does my daughter, but I often hear their TV over mine. If it's not that then it's their bloody kid screaming like a banshee because he's not getting his way and he know he does when he screams...so...he screams a lot. It sets my nerves on edge because even when it goes quiet I'm just waiting for the next batch of noise. AngryAngry

27-03-2014, 09:04 AM
(27-03-2014 08:48 AM)Eva Wrote:  Thanks again Smile

I have found a company that supplies this as a kit...the rubber panels, the adhesive and the acoustic plasterboard/drywall and you buy it by the sq/m.

My house doesn't have studded walls so these would go directly onto the brick wall. Do you think that would still work?

Hope so....now I just have to fiond a good DIYer to help me with this.

It will certainly work better than nothing.

Brick isn't a bad base to put it on, it does transmit vibration due to its rigidity, but those vibrations will be absorbed by the drywall/insulation. If you can afford it, and it will work with their system, I'd recommend at least 3 layers. Layer of drywall, layer of insulator, layer of drywall. Is their drywall special in some way that adds to the sound dampening? If not, it will probably be cheaper to just buy the drywall at Lowes or Home Depot.

As far as finding a DIYer... You can be the DIYer. That's what the Y stands for. Tongue

Things like this are actually a lot easier than you'd think. It just requires some sweat and time. However, if you really want it to look professional, you'll have to hire a professional. If you do it yourself, there will probably be visible seams. Personally, I'd rather save money than have it look perfect.

27-03-2014, 09:11 AM
You know you've been spending too much time in the Sexy Banter thread when you think that the title of this thread was referring to an entirely different kind of noise. Shy

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post