Non-Binary/Genderqueer Pronouns and References

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-03-2017, 11:01 AM
RE: Non-Binary/Genderqueer Pronouns and References
(22-03-2017 10:52 AM)JesseB Wrote:  To be entirely honest, I've always just gone with whatever the person presents as (present as a female use female pronouns), no one has ever complained about this. I try to be sensitive, and like.... I will usually ask if I get a chance if they are bothered by it. Again I've never gotten a complaint, but.... some people might not like it. Idk.... (I'm not out to offend people, so if they tell me they'd prefer something different I will)

I know when I play female in games I want people to use female pronouns (I'm kinda big on RP), and I play female a lot in games.
When I play male in games I want people to use male in pronouns.

Also I really do use dude a lot if you hadn't noticed, I've never gotten complaints about this either, though sometimes people make fun of me for it. It really is a Californian thing.... Kinda like Hella or Hecka. I can tell you what part of California a person is from based on their use of these slang terms.

For a book, I think Moms suggestion would be best cause it would.... stand out more in written form.... if that makes sense. Less chance of the reader forgetting.

From what I've seen and read, most NB people know we live in a gender-binary world as it is today. They'd like to be able to be represented in the real world (additional gender selections on legal documents, for example) but often are not. They also understand that the average person is not familiar enough with the existence of NB genders, let alone to ask them their preference or address them in a gender-neutral way, and they understand that most people are just going to go with what they see by default.

/shrug
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-03-2017, 11:08 AM
(22-03-2017 11:01 AM)Emma Wrote:  
(22-03-2017 10:52 AM)JesseB Wrote:  To be entirely honest, I've always just gone with whatever the person presents as (present as a female use female pronouns), no one has ever complained about this. I try to be sensitive, and like.... I will usually ask if I get a chance if they are bothered by it. Again I've never gotten a complaint, but.... some people might not like it. Idk.... (I'm not out to offend people, so if they tell me they'd prefer something different I will)

I know when I play female in games I want people to use female pronouns (I'm kinda big on RP), and I play female a lot in games.
When I play male in games I want people to use male in pronouns.

Also I really do use dude a lot if you hadn't noticed, I've never gotten complaints about this either, though sometimes people make fun of me for it. It really is a Californian thing.... Kinda like Hella or Hecka. I can tell you what part of California a person is from based on their use of these slang terms.

For a book, I think Moms suggestion would be best cause it would.... stand out more in written form.... if that makes sense. Less chance of the reader forgetting.

From what I've seen and read, most NB people know we live in a gender-binary world as it is today. They'd like to be able to be represented in the real world (additional gender selections on legal documents, for example) but often are not. They also understand that the average person is not familiar enough with the existence of NB genders, let alone to ask them their preference or address them in a gender-neutral way, and they understand that most people are just going to go with what they see by default.

/shrug

Dude.... this is so stupid.... put NB designations on legal documents. It's that fucking easy. Like I have a choice of using Mr. I don't cause, that seems weird to me.... but like if I can pick that, why cant we get our heads out of our asses and just fix this shit....

also if it's that important, I would def modify what I do to show more support. If no one ever says anything, there's no way for me to know what they'd prefer ya know.

(just my 2 cents on the issue)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
22-03-2017, 12:19 PM
Thread reopened the unhelpful removed to the Pit.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-03-2017, 01:09 PM
(21-03-2017 09:37 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Don't ask me how I know this shit.

Ok, I read a lot of smut. While reading one such story I came across words I didn't know. I had to google....

http://thetab.com/2015/09/01/uni-swaps-h...hirs-51954

It's ok moms, I read a lot of smut too >.>

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post