Non-Christian Interview

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2013, 10:02 PM
RE: Non-Christian Interview
(10-12-2013 08:16 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  I thought you were a girl.

So, how bout those questions?

Agreed on all counts! Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2013, 11:58 PM

She's given me permission to post them; you can find her questions and my corresponding answers below.

Question 01: "What do you believe and how did you come to that conclusion?"
Answer 01: I assume that you're asking me what my religious beliefs are. I don't think that this question applies to me because I have none. I grew up as a Christian in a Baptist household but deconverted about four years ago following a long critical examination of my beliefs. I now consider myself an agnostic atheist, which means that while I do not claim to know for certain that there are no gods, I see no reason to believe that they do because their existence has never been demonstrated.

Question 02: "What's your opinion on the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ?"
Answer 02: I have no problem accepting the conclusion of religious and secular historians that Jesus existed as historical person because there are non-biblical sources to support this view. Accounts of the resurrection of Christ, on the other hand, can only be found in the Bible, namely in the four gospels and it is difficult to believe them for several reasons. Firstly, they were not written by contemporaries of Jesus, but by people who lived decades after his death. Secondly, the four accounts of the resurrection differ in ways which can only be described as contradictory. One of many examples is Matthew 25:45-54 in which the author mentions that the tombs of many saints split open because of an earthquake that started following Jesus' death and the dead bodies of these saints came back to life. Both Mark and Luke never mention that any of this happened. Thirdly, and most importantly, we know that a human cannot come back to life three days after his death. Our brains already suffer irreparable damage within minutes of being deprived of oxygen.

Question 03: "How do you believe the world came about and why?"
Answer 03: I also have no problem accepting the conclusion of religious and secular scientists that our universe developed into its current form following a rapid expansion known as the "Big Bang" and that humans on Earth came about through a process known as "evolution by natural selection" because there is a tremendous amount of evidence to support both of these scientific theories. When it comes to the question of how the universe and the first organisms came into existence, however, I have to concede that I, like everyone else, don't know the answer.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
11-12-2013, 12:09 AM
(10-12-2013 02:48 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 01:16 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  11) What is the airspeed ratio of an unladen swallow?
Hold on, are we talking about an African or European swallow? Consider

....I don't know!....

Shocking

AAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: It's the airspeed VELOCITY.....

Evil_monster

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
11-12-2013, 12:20 AM
(10-12-2013 11:58 PM)Vosur Wrote:  

She's given me permission to post them; you can find her questions and my corresponding answers below.

[align=justify]Question 01: "What do you believe and how did you come to that conclusion?"

Hmmmmmm....I believe I'll have another Bratwurst.

As far as religions go, I don't put much stock in "belief". My opinion is that the fellow they call "the Buddha" came up with a pretty good totally-secular morality that is worth looking into and practising, even though it's been pretty much spindled and mutilated beyond recognition almost everywhere since his death.

Quote:[quote]Question 02: "What's your opinion on the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ?"

You mean the fable of this supposed person. I am not convinced.

Quote:Question 03: "How do you believe the world came about and why?"

It's turtles all the way down, I tell you!

Not sure how, though there are some interesting scientific theories and I tend to guess this planet may be some sort of dying star that crusted over as it cooled.

WHY? What makes you think there has to be a "why"?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
11-12-2013, 01:54 AM
Thank you for posting the questions, Vosur!

(10-12-2013 11:58 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Question 01: "What do you believe and how did you come to that conclusion?"

Question 02: "What's your opinion on the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ?"

1. I believe everything in existence came from a simpler predecessor. Organic and nonorganic.

2. This question only applies to Christians because they are the ones who believe he was resurrected. This question has no relevance outside of that particular faith so there's no point in answer it.

3. See my answer for #1.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
11-12-2013, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 06:52 AM by DLJ.)
I believe that ""Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it," (George Santayana)
Because that's what we do... sadly.

I believe that Santa will bring presents at christmas
Because how else can one explain their mysterious appearance?

“Alec, what do you believe in?” she asked.
“I believe an eleven bus will take me to Hammersmith,” he said. “I don’t believe it’s driven by Father Christmas.”
--The Spy Who Came In From the Cold

Cruxifiction: Probably a bad idea, overall.
Resurrection: A very good example of ancient fan fiction.

How:

No, why. We don't need a 'why'.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
11-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Lol ancient fanfiction
11-12-2013, 10:07 AM
(10-12-2013 08:15 PM)Inquisitive Minds Wrote:  You guys are really funny! I like you! But let's get one thing straight, I'm a girl, so you can stop speculating

Whaaat? There are no girls on the Internet!

Sorry. I tend to default to "guy" on message boards, because most of the message boards I frequent are for male-dominated hobbies.
11-12-2013, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2013 12:41 PM by anonymous66.)
Quote:She's given me permission to post them; you can find her questions and my corresponding answers below.

Question 1.
As far as what I believe about religion and God?
I grew up in a fundamentalist church and home and considered myself to be a Christian for almost 40 years. I was always searching for God, and attended several churches of various denominations because while I was convinced that our church was wrong in their specific interpretation of the Bible, I was also indoctrinated with the belief that God did exist ( I became a Christian when I was about 6). The Christian God can be falsified. There is nothing remarkable about the Bible, the God it portrays, or the people that claim to be Christians. The Bible was obviously written during the bronze age, with bronze age morals, and bronze age knowledge of the world (it suggests the world is flat, among other scientific errors). The God of the Bible has exactly the same morals and knowledge of the world that His human creators had. There is no way to objectively choose between denominations or religions. There is no convincing evidence that any God exists. While I suppose there could be some unknown deistic God that merely created everything, and then let it alone, I'm as sure that no God of any world religion exists, as I am that the sun will rise tomorrow. It's simply a matter of evidence. No convincing evidence, no reason to believe.

Question 2
I've been reading a lot about the historicity of Jesus and the Bible. It appears there is some historical evidence that suggests someone named Jesus may have lived and been crucified under Pontius Pilate, but there are also some respected scholars that suggest he may have been a complete mythology and that there is nothing historical about him. There is no evidence outside of the Bible that suggests he was resurrected. To say you believe that Jesus was resurrected because the Bible says so makes about as much sense as believing any other miracles that are claimed by any other religion or ancient mythology. There is no reason to believe the Bible while rejecting the "evidence" of miracles suggested in other religions and historical writings (and there are many such miracles claimed). Mythologies have had a lot of influence on world history... it doesn't make them true.

Question 3
So far the best science and evidence suggests that our universe was created by the big bang and then natural processes caused galaxies, stars, solar systems and life to come about. We may never know what caused the big bang. It's something of a mystery. I'm okay with mysteries.
[+] 1 user Likes anonymous66's post
11-12-2013, 08:02 PM
Yeah, girls do use the internet, Rob. Haha! Especially teenage girls! Of course, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for my apologetics teacher. He wanted us to get practice talking to atheists because... Let me be honest and say every single one of us is in a little Christian bubble. I'm in junior year at my high school and I'd never met an atheist until this summer. But like I said before, I've gained a lot more out of this than I expected so thank you, everybody!
A couple of random questions that don't really have anything to do with apologetics (please don't be offended, these are totally serious. Never having been an atheist, the prospect seems enormously terrifying to me)
1. So how can you still find joy as an atheist? it seems depressing to believe there's nothing more than this life
2. What gives your life purpose? Do you bring meaning to your life?
3. Why not cheat, destroy, lie, break promises, and steal if there's no reason not to?Is there a reason not to? Does something hold you back?
[+] 2 users Like Inquisitive Minds's post