Non-Christian Interview

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 05:29 AM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2013 07:03 AM by anonymous66.)
RE: Non-Christian Interview
@ Taqiyya Mockingbird

I don't know about her motives, but I read through her questions and they look genuine to me, or at least not like something that would have come from a bot.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2013, 06:54 AM
(11-12-2013 08:02 PM)Inquisitive Minds Wrote:  Yeah, girls do use the internet, Rob. Haha! Especially teenage girls! Of course, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for my apologetics teacher. He wanted us to get practice talking to atheists because... Let me be honest and say every single one of us is in a little Christian bubble. I'm in junior year at my high school and I'd never met an atheist until this summer. But like I said before, I've gained a lot more out of this than I expected so thank you, everybody!
A couple of random questions that don't really have anything to do with apologetics (please don't be offended, these are totally serious. Never having been an atheist, the prospect seems enormously terrifying to me)
1. So how can you still find joy as an atheist? it seems depressing to believe there's nothing more than this life
2. What gives your life purpose? Do you bring meaning to your life?
3. Why not cheat, destroy, lie, break promises, and steal if there's no reason not to?Is there a reason not to? Does something hold you back?

Oh but you are 99.83% atheist
http://www.rationalresponders.com/a_big_...ll_of_them
The link above lists a fair number of gods that you don't believe in. Out of some 600 gods, you don't believe in 599, whereas an atheist doesn't believe in all 600.
How can you still find joy when you don't believe in the other 599 gods ?

Is it depressing that there is nothing more to a rollercoaster than going up and down and twisting and turning ? Is it depressing that there is nothing more to life than the fascinating wonder and awe of biology and the discoveries we make every day learning more and more about this world ? Do you find living life day to day to be depressing ? Does the idea of family, friends, relationships, adventure, travel, learning new languages, experiencing new cultures, scuba diving, down hill skiing, holding your child or grandchild in your arms as they fall asleep, cooking a simple meal that everyone can sit down and enjoy, having a drink with friends in the back yard, fishing on a quiet sunday morning and sleeping like you did when you were a child. Do any of these things seem depressing to you ?

What is depressing to me is thinking that you can waste this one life that we are certain to have on a mental fantasy that tells you that what you do here isn't all that relevant because the REAL life is just around the corner when you die.
It's also depressing to think that some people have lied to you your entire life and you're ok with that. You're ok with being lied to, being manipulated, controlled and having your money taken from you because you're too afraid to face reality.

You can only find joy in the mental fantasy and can't seem to enjoy reality.
That is depressing.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
13-12-2013, 07:33 AM
For completeness, I got this and replied thusly.

DLJ Wrote:
Inquisitive Minds Wrote:Hey DLJ,

Hi there, Inquisitive. How's the inquisition going?

Any revelations?

Wink

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-12-2013, 08:08 AM
(13-12-2013 02:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Forgive me for not reading through everything here already. But is this person seriously honestly being inquisitive, or are they being presuppositionly ignorant? Are they even worth engaging with? Thanks. Drinking Beverage

Presupositionally ignorant, and no.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
13-12-2013, 08:11 AM
(13-12-2013 07:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  For completeness, I got this and replied thusly.

DLJ Wrote:Hi there, Inquisitive. How's the inquisition going?

Any revelations?

Wink

I think I saw what you did there, and I approve of my perception.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 5 users Like Free Thought's post
13-12-2013, 08:20 AM
(13-12-2013 05:29 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  ..... or at least not like something that would have come from a bot.

I say that because the follow-up responses clearly indicated that "she" didn't read, or ignored the content of my answers. I pointed out the irrelevance of BBT and evolution to non-belief in fairytales, and the responses were geared toward someone who might have used them as reasons for their non-belief. I rejected the very idea of "objective" morality, and the response assumed that I had asserted it or agreed on it. It's as if a chatbot had scanned my response for keywords and spit out canned responses, none of which were appropriate to my answers.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
13-12-2013, 09:11 AM
(13-12-2013 02:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Forgive me for not reading through everything here already. But is this person seriously honestly being inquisitive, or are they being presuppositionly ignorant? Are they even worth engaging with? Thanks. Drinking Beverage

So far, in her conversations with me, she's appeared genuine. Heck, a day or so ago, I even repped her for seeming honest and inquisitive. Granted, I haven't heard from her in a couple of days, and not since Taqiyya's post.
13-12-2013, 09:16 AM
I have never before heard of a Christian school that would allow talking to non Christians.

My current project is explaining why many things in this world are irrelevant to me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-12-2013, 09:19 AM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2013 11:45 AM by anonymous66.)
(13-12-2013 08:20 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(13-12-2013 05:29 AM)anonymous66 Wrote:  ..... or at least not like something that would have come from a bot.

I say that because the follow-up responses clearly indicated that "she" didn't read, or ignored the content of my answers. I pointed out the irrelevance of BBT and evolution to non-belief in fairytales, and the responses were geared toward someone who might have used them as reasons for their non-belief. I rejected the very idea of "objective" morality, and the response assumed that I had asserted it or agreed on it. It's as if a chatbot had scanned my response for keywords and spit out canned responses, none of which were appropriate to my answers.

I met a pastor in person a few months ago, then carried on an email debate with him. He uses the same tactics of ignoring what he doesn't want to talk about and presuming in a way that is rather frustrating.

The pastor I know just really believes what he wants to believe and has difficulty (or refuses to) defending his own position, so he continually directed the conversation to topics that were comfortable to him, or tried to get me to defend myself. They're common tactics. Of course I can't know for sure about Inquisitive... this is the internet, after all.
13-12-2013, 07:01 PM
(12-12-2013 06:58 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Oh! and you forgot "kill". Yes, I kill too. Atheists kill and eat babies. Hadn't you heard?

What? Shocking You're supposed to kill them first? Sadcryface No one told me. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post