Non-Defense Department now more heavily armed than the Marine Corp

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2016, 12:22 PM
RE: Non-Defense Department now more heavily armed than the Marine Corp
So yeah I call BS also on this, although I didn't read the article, just all your comments.

I'll supply an anecdote. I have a distant family member who works for the IRS as a field agent and she conceal carries a handgun everywhere she goes (probably a ~$1500 gun plus accessories), as protection from anti-tax citizens (read: Tea-Party/libertarians). This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, and shouldn't be used as a rationale for the NRA to discourage any sort of reasonable gun-controls, or claim the govt is getting ready to take all our guns, or encourage violence and against people who are just trying to peacefully do their jobs. Just my 2 cents.

"just an FYI: There are 2 kinds of people in the world -- those who divide everybody into 2 kinds of people & those who don't." Neil deGrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2016, 12:29 PM
(20-06-2016 05:28 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(20-06-2016 04:14 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...pid1014620
  • Fanatical devotion to the cause.
  • Justification based on an ancient text that could mean anything.
  • Refusal to compromise.
  • Persecution mentality despite getting own way.
  • "No surrender" mentality.
  • Rules not readily extended to minorities.
  • Exploitation by politicians and corporate lobbyists.
  • Tries to convince other people and by doing so ultimately makes the world a worse place.

Move here - become a citizen - THEN your opinion will be valid here...

Or should we start telling you that you should be forced to stay in the EU???

Mathilda, be sure and ask onlinebiker for permission to post if you do move here.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-06-2016, 06:53 PM
Some perspective. According to what little I can read of the original article the frightening claim is that there are some 200,000 non-DOD Gov't employees authorized to carry firearms. That's one armed beaurocrat for every 1600 civilians. Weep for that beaurocrat.

Mind you, 80% of those 200,000 armed beaurocrats work for either the DHS or DOJ. It might not be entirely unreasonable for them to be armed. The remaining 40,000 are outnumbered 80,000 to 1.

Put another way, this band of 200,000 mercenary beaurocrats couldn't invade Canada. Aside from getting blind drunk, freezing to death, and eaten by moose within moments of crossing the border they'd be outnumbered by our registered gun owners by more than 15 to 1. They might be able to take Prince Edward Island if it weren't for the pesky bottleneck at the Confederation Bridge.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
20-06-2016, 07:11 PM
(19-06-2016 03:13 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  This is from the Wall Street Journal......

http://www.wsj.com/articles/why-does-the...1466117176

Go read this.......

(19-06-2016 05:08 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  2. I'm not paying for the WSJ so I can't read the full opinion piece.

You link me to a site which wants me to pay before I can read the article. Yeah, Girly ain't down with that shit. I'm surprised you are.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus