Non-Existence Of God Is Pretentious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Non-Existence Of God Is Pretentious?
This is one of the most common accusations that I hear from religious people: "Do you really think that you're so big that nothing bigger than you exists? That's pretty pretentious to think you're so significant!"

So I always respond: "Actually, I feel that I'm quite small in the scheme of the universe. Do you realize that if you were to gather every grain of sand on Earth that our planet would not even represent a single grain of sand in the universe?" That is how UN-important we are. Do you really think that an almighty creator made this entire universe and that our planet is incredibly special in the scheme of the universe? If that is how you feel, then I'd say that YOU are the one that is being pretentious. Like it or not, the universe goes on with or without us. Our existence changes nothing."

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
09-12-2013, 01:11 PM
RE: Non-Existence Of God Is Pretentious?
Good answer IMHO.
Actually, that's the only thing that continues to trip me up....that little belief that there's something bigger than I am.Weeping

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
09-12-2013, 01:17 PM
I prefer to stick with the whole "I don't see any evidence for it. Importance never factored into the equation." answer. It's true, and it shuts up their stupid non-argument.
09-12-2013, 01:24 PM
(09-12-2013 01:02 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  This is one of the most common accusations that I hear from religious people: "Do you really think that you're so big that nothing bigger than you exists? That's pretty pretentious to think you're so significant!"

Fuck 'em.
They're just caught up in ego... both their own and their collective ego.

That's why it's difficult for many to shake. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
09-12-2013, 01:28 PM
You can use this as a teaching opportunity. Ask them if they have any idea what a "Strawman Fallacy" is, and direct them to the Fallacy Files (fallacyfiles.org) with orders to not speak a single word to you until they have read and digested it in its entirety.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
09-12-2013, 02:12 PM
(09-12-2013 01:02 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  This is one of the most common accusations that I hear from religious people: "Do you really think that you're so big that nothing bigger than you exists? That's pretty pretentious to think you're so significant!"

So I always respond: "Actually, I feel that I'm quite small in the scheme of the universe. Do you realize that if you were to gather every grain of sand on Earth that our planet would not even represent a single grain of sand in the universe?" That is how UN-important we are. Do you really think that an almighty creator made this entire universe and that our planet is incredibly special in the scheme of the universe? If that is how you feel, then I'd say that YOU are the one that is being pretentious. Like it or not, the universe goes on with or without us. Our existence changes nothing."
I completely agree with your response. I mean "God" is supposedly infinite and everywhere according to many faiths. And here we are almost nothing in the universe. Would we care if a few bacteria were on their knees worshiping us? We probably wouldn't even notice. How arrogant is it to think that "God" actually cares about or pays any attention to what we do? And we're not even the size of bacteria in comparison.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
09-12-2013, 02:20 PM

It's not a matter of pretentiousness IMO. It's a matter of there is no other item for which non-existence is claimed that has thousands and thousands of web pages and forum postings. If god doesn't exist, spend less time attempting to prove He doesn't.

By spending so much time and effort trying to refute the other 95% of the planet, you are fitting the Bible description to a T of people against God who gnash their teeth and rage at the Heavenly beings.

You really feel no compunction or guilt? You are really certain there is no god? Go live your life off the forum. Don't bother taking the stand that you are here to "share the fellowship of those persecuted by deists." If you're so sure there's no god, shut up about the "dead" issue and live your life.

I for my part will continue to proselytize and to share and learn. That's my prerogative.
09-12-2013, 02:32 PM
The fact that there are people trying to proselytize is exactly why the "gnashing" exists. You can't promote an idea like God that effects the world so greatly and expect those who reject the idea to remain silent. It's not a harmless idea. Belief in God drives public policy and culture.

If you want atheists to shut up about God, then you have to do the same. Otherwise, they will feel the need to combat it.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 5 users Like Elesjei's post
09-12-2013, 02:35 PM
(09-12-2013 02:20 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  It's not a matter of pretentiousness IMO. It's a matter of there is no other item for which non-existence is claimed that has thousands and thousands of web pages and forum postings. If god doesn't exist, spend less time attempting to prove He doesn't.

We don't have to prove your fairy-tale monster doesn't exist. It is up to you to support your own claim with convincing evidence. You know this.

Quote:By spending so much time and effort trying to refute the other 95% of the planet,

Hardly, but a Bandwagon Fallacy anyway.

Quote: you are fitting the Bible description to a T of people against God who gnash their teeth and rage at the Heavenly beings.

People gnash their teeth when your batshit beliefs encroach on our lives through bullshit, batshit-influenced laws that are imposed upon them. For one example.

Quote:You really feel no compunction or guilt? You are really certain there is no god? Go live your life off the forum.

Why don't you do the same, idiot, instead of wasting your time making an absolute fool of yourself.

Quote: Don't bother taking the stand that you are here to "share the fellowship of those persecuted by deists." If you're so sure there's no god, shut up about the "dead" issue and live your life.

We are trying to, however, your batshit beliefs keep encroaching on our lives.

Quote:I for my part will continue to proselytize and to share and learn spout idiotic and superstitious bullshit. That's my prerogative.

[Image: fixed.gif]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
09-12-2013, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 04:23 PM by WindyCityJazz.)
(09-12-2013 02:20 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  

It's not a matter of pretentiousness IMO. It's a matter of there is no other item for which non-existence is claimed that has thousands and thousands of web pages and forum postings. If god doesn't exist, spend less time attempting to prove He doesn't.

By spending so much time and effort trying to refute the other 95% of the planet, you are fitting the Bible description to a T of people against God who gnash their teeth and rage at the Heavenly beings.

You really feel no compunction or guilt? You are really certain there is no god? Go live your life off the forum. Don't bother taking the stand that you are here to "share the fellowship of those persecuted by deists." If you're so sure there's no god, shut up about the "dead" issue and live your life.

I for my part will continue to proselytize and to share and learn. That's my prerogative.

Your hypocrisy is astounding. I don't need to disprove the existence of a god, just as I don't have to disprove the existence of unicorns or leprechauns. I'm the one causing problems? HA! YOU are the one coming to an ATHEIST FORUM and trying to push your beliefs on everyone else and then bitch about somebody making a point against arguments that people like you use, and then accusing them of causing problems. You creationists are all the same. You walk around with your noses in the air, calling people who don't share your beliefs heathens, and then act as though anybody who challenges what you say is full of hate. I can't even comprehend how people like you cannot see the hypocrisy in your behavior.

Yeah, the Bible warned you against people like me. The people who wrote it made up a bunch of bullshit stories and then warned you to not believe anyone who tries to refute their bullshit. It's not my fault that you fall for that garbage hook, line and sinker. Congratulations on being a sheep.

If you don't like people pointing out the hypocrisy in the bullshit comments that you and your fellow Bible thumpers always use, then here's some advice: GET OFF THE DAMN ATHEIST FORUM!! You - a Christian - come to an atheist forum, then accuse me - an atheist - of having nothing better to do with my time, while you spend countless hours trolling on here. Again, your level of hypocrisy is astounding.

BTW PleaseJesus, quit thinking you're so damn special that I came here to convert or attack people like you. I came here to have discussions with fellow atheists. I couldn't care less about trolls like you. I will, however, call you out when you try to attack me or other members with your hypocritical bullshit.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 5 users Like WindyCityJazz's post