Non-Existence Of God Is Pretentious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 03:20 PM
RE: Non-Existence Of God Is Pretentious?
(11-12-2013 03:04 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 02:59 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Great, it's the TTT polytheistDodgy You have no idea at all. You're gonna get a lot of backlash if you continue to assert claims like this, there won't be any serious discussions. Sure have your personal claims of god(s) and prophets, live a happy life, just don't expect anyone to think what you say is reasonable. There is a forum that Gordy goes to, you might enjoy it there.
It is not my personal claim. It is biblical claim that there are Gods.
[Image: h54AF5532]
You're so poe, go home.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like grizzlysnake's post
11-12-2013, 09:47 PM
(11-12-2013 12:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 07:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, it is not reasonable. There is no evidence that any of that is true, so it is not reasonable to believe it.

there is no evidence that in the beginning life happened on earth without involvement of intelligent beings. So, what you believe is also not reasonable.

OH, look, an argument from personal incredulity and ignorance. Rolleyes

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
11-12-2013, 09:49 PM
(11-12-2013 01:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, I believe you're missing the point made by those who you label as religious people. In short, the point is that there is an objective view which is bigger than the subjective view. That is what is meant by a higher power than our individual selves.

[Image: image_thumb.png?w=495&h=618]

[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
11-12-2013, 09:53 PM
(11-12-2013 12:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 07:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, it is not reasonable. There is no evidence that any of that is true, so it is not reasonable to believe it.

there is no evidence that in the beginning life happened on earth without involvement of intelligent beings. So, what you believe is also not reasonable.

That's odd, I don't recall telling you what I believe. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
(11-12-2013 03:20 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  You're so poe, go home.

[Image: Poe-Boy-From-A-Poe-Family-T-Shirt-%288385%29.jpg]

(11-12-2013 09:49 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 01:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, I believe you're missing the point made by those who you label as religious people. In short, the point is that there is an objective view which is bigger than the subjective view. That is what is meant by a higher power than our individual selves.

[Image: image_thumb.png?w=495&h=618]
So you truly don't understand this?
12-12-2013, 02:59 AM
(11-12-2013 03:04 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 02:59 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Great, it's the TTT polytheistDodgy You have no idea at all. You're gonna get a lot of backlash if you continue to assert claims like this, there won't be any serious discussions. Sure have your personal claims of god(s) and prophets, live a happy life, just don't expect anyone to think what you say is reasonable. There is a forum that Gordy goes to, you might enjoy it there.
It is not my personal claim. It is biblical claim that there are Gods.

But the bible really isn't proof of anything other than certain books were compiled into one major volume by men in 325AD. Regardless of it's content it is no more reliable than any other book - Especially if you're looking for factual proof of a god or gods.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
12-12-2013, 09:17 AM
(12-12-2013 02:59 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  But the bible really isn't proof of anything other than certain books were compiled into one major volume by men in 325AD. Regardless of it's content it is no more reliable than any other book - Especially if you're looking for factual proof of a god or gods.

Actually, Biblical canon was not established in the First Council of Nicaea. It is a popular misconception.

Aside from that minor nitpick, you are completely right. Biblical canon was created by people over time, several hundred years after the events allegedly occurred. Only four out of about forty gospels made the final cut.

Really, the Bible is only proof that the Bible exists. If I hold a Bible in my hand, I can prove... that I'm holding a Bible in my hand. If I read the words printed in the Bible, I can use them to prove... that the Bible contains words. I just realized the only thing you can actually do with a Bible while being intellectually honest is to make tautologies...

("Welcome to Tautology Club, Rob! You just became the newest member by being the most recent person to join!")
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
12-12-2013, 09:24 AM
(12-12-2013 09:17 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 02:59 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  But the bible really isn't proof of anything other than certain books were compiled into one major volume by men in 325AD. Regardless of it's content it is no more reliable than any other book - Especially if you're looking for factual proof of a god or gods.

Actually, Biblical canon was not established in the First Council of Nicaea. It is a popular misconception.

Aside from that minor nitpick, you are completely right. Biblical canon was created by people over time, several hundred years after the events allegedly occurred. Only four out of about forty gospels made the final cut.

Really, the Bible is only proof that the Bible exists. If I hold a Bible in my hand, I can prove... that I'm holding a Bible in my hand. If I read the words printed in the Bible, I can use them to prove... that the Bible contains words. I just realized the only thing you can actually do with a Bible while being intellectually honest is to make tautologies...

("Welcome to Tautology Club, Rob! You just became the newest member by being the most recent person to join!")

Thanks for that. Since the Counsel of Nicea is commonly recognized as creation of the Bible - I generally run with that (in public forums). You are most excellently correct of course.

I have tried on occassion to share with theists that I, too, could say: "Look here chapter ____ [fill in the blank] of Harry Potter states _______." With as much accuracy for reading what I read as they do with their bible. (?)
Generally it only gets me called sacrilegious.
I actually finding calling those who do not follow the bible "sacrilegious" inaccurate because don't you have to believe in something to get it wrong?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
12-12-2013, 12:43 PM
(11-12-2013 09:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 12:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  there is no evidence that in the beginning life happened on earth without involvement of intelligent beings. So, what you believe is also not reasonable.

That's odd, I don't recall telling you what I believe. Consider
I am just assuming. I don't claim that my assumption is true.Smile

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection