Non-Existence Of God Is Pretentious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 06:46 PM by Alla.)
RE: Non-Existence Of God Is Pretentious?
(09-12-2013 06:00 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  You do understand that capitalisation of god's G doesn't actually change the word, right? Either way it is describing a deity.
It doesn't change the word I agree. But it changes the level of the glory of the diety.
gods don't have the same glory as Gods do.
Jesus is "Son of God" and not "son of God". In the Bible we read word "God" and word "gods", we read word "Sons" and word "sons".
Meaning is the same but not the glory.
if you read the Bible you would know this. I am talking about glory of gods/Gods

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2013, 07:04 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 07:47 PM by grizzlysnake.)
(09-12-2013 06:37 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 05:29 PM)kim Wrote:  Maybe Alla doesn't realize that in about 3 billion years, our Sun will puff up and swallow our planet and humanity will cease to exist... as will anyone who believes there is a god.

Maybe Alla doesn't get the immenseness that is beyond him.
I realize this. But it doesn't mean that intelligent beings(gods) can not get involve and interact with nature and for example turn planet that is not good for life of intelligent beings into planet that is good for life of intelligent beings.
Thats nice for a sci-fi novel but right now we're just gonna wait until if/when there is evidence for it.Drinking Beverage
Why would it have to be gods? Aliens will be better for sci-fiSmile Or aliens mistaken for gods, hmm..although I think thats been done.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
09-12-2013, 07:25 PM
(09-12-2013 06:43 PM)Alla Wrote:  BLah blah blah...if you read the Bible you would know this...blah blah blah...

Most of us are atheists precisely BECAUSE of having actually read your Holey Bile.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
09-12-2013, 07:32 PM
(09-12-2013 06:43 PM)Alla Wrote:  I am talking about glory of gods/Gods

but Why?No

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
09-12-2013, 07:41 PM
(09-12-2013 07:25 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Most of us are atheists precisely BECAUSE of having actually read your Holey Bile.
may be, may be

09-12-2013, 07:42 PM
(09-12-2013 07:32 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 06:43 PM)Alla Wrote:  I am talking about glory of gods/Gods

but Why?No
so you may know that I didn't call you "God"

09-12-2013, 07:47 PM
(09-12-2013 07:04 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Thats nice for a sci-fi novel but right now were just gonna wait until if/when there is evidence for it.Drinking Beverage
sure.
But it is reasonable to believe biblical Prophets and other God's Prophets that intelligent Being God used this Earth to make it a place that is good enough for living of intelligent beings.
I believe Prophets of God that it is true.

09-12-2013, 07:47 PM
(09-12-2013 07:42 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 07:32 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  but Why?No
so you may know that I didn't call you "God"

Oh ok. I may have misunderstood you earlier. Actually, I was just horsing around then. I was trying to be funny and I may have failed miserably. Happens.

But suggesting any sort of "glory of god" is downright confusing. After all it's the opposite of that I look for here on this forum. Maybe just clarify what it is that you're driving at and why with the god-speak or working to qualify godVSGod spellings etc. (?) Why should any of us care about any of that - really?

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
09-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Which of the two stances is pretentious and arrogant?
1. I'm so special that a being of infinite knowledge and power made me and holds me in the regard of his greatest work. Furthermore, he murdered his son so that I can live forever and he even helped me find my car keys this morning!

Or:-

2. I was fortunate enough to have been born on this insignificant spinning rock. I'm very grateful and humbled by this and would like to live my life in a worthwhile manner befitting my one chance.

As for atheists 'proselytising' against God, too right I do! Someone else's imaginary friend has influenced many things that effect the world I live in. Such as,
9/11
Women's right to choose
Stem cell research
Who can marry who
Unfair tax breaks
Deliberate miss-education of children
Genital mutilation
Obstruction of science
Honour killing
Homophobia
Perpetuation of misogynistic attitudes.
Deliberate spin doctoring against real science
Etc;

I can't remember where I heard this but I like it. Behind closed doors people can have their imaginary friend. It becomes a problem when they take it upon themselves to try to tell me or my children we MUST believe in the same imaginary friend too, or we will be punished! We must also follow the same system of CRAZY beliefs not only without evidence but INSPITE of evidence.

I openly admit I argue with the religious but primarily when they bring it to me. I'm cool with them hanging out with their imaginary friend behind closed doors. It's not the imaginary friend I have the problem with it's the stupid belief system that goes along with him and the fact that all of his followers repeatedly and pointlessly try and force others to believe and adopt all of the bad hate fuelled things that go with him.

Please note fundies/religious people on here, this is an atheist forum, you came here to pick a fight with us. Or to try and convert us, or to troll, or because you doubt your own faith. No matter which it is, when you decide to bang the preacher drum and get told to fuck off, stop acting all surprised and butt hurt.

If you want to talk to us instead of at us, that would be more welcome. I can honestly say, from our side of the fence, preachy religious people are seen as pretentious and arrogant but people who just wish to engage in civil conversation and just so happen to hold religious views are much more respected.

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 2 users Like Monster_Riffs's post
09-12-2013, 07:57 PM
(09-12-2013 07:41 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 07:25 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Most of us are atheists precisely BECAUSE of having actually read your Holey Bile.
may be, may be

What, did you think that I was lying? Why don't you just ask everyone here if what I say is true.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop