Non-Existence Of God Is Pretentious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-12-2013, 08:28 PM
RE: Non-Existence Of God Is Pretentious?
(09-12-2013 08:20 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 07:47 PM)Alla Wrote:  But it is reasonable to believe biblical Prophets and other God's Prophets that intelligent Being God used this Earth to make it a place that is good enough for living of intelligent beings.
I believe Prophets of God that it is true.

Why is it reasonable? Or do you mean *reasonable* to you alone? Because that's not reasonable to me. If you WANT it to be reasonable to ME you're going to have to better than this word salad you're tossing.

Word. Salad.
Salad of words strung together but meaning - not much atall.Shocking

It is word salad! You're right there Sabrina. I agree with him on one thing though. The PROFITS of god are there for us all to see! Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
09-12-2013, 08:31 PM
(09-12-2013 07:47 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 07:04 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Thats nice for a sci-fi novel but right now were just gonna wait until if/when there is evidence for it.Drinking Beverage
sure.
But it is reasonable to believe biblical Prophets and other God's Prophets that intelligent Being God used this Earth to make it a place that is good enough for living of intelligent beings.

Is it reasonable to believe in invisible pink unicorns? Why or why not?

Why is it reasonable to believe in something that lacks any credible evidence of its own existence?
09-12-2013, 08:33 PM
(09-12-2013 07:53 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  Please note fundies/religious people on here, this is an atheist forum, you came here to pick a fight with us. Or to try and convert us, or to troll, or because you doubt your own faith. No matter which it is, when you decide to bang the preacher drum and get told to fuck off, stop acting all surprised and butt hurt.

If you want to talk to us instead of at us, that would be more welcome. I can honestly say, from our side of the fence, preachy religious people are seen as pretentious and arrogant but people who just wish to engage in civil conversation and just so happen to hold religious views are much more respected.

Thank you for stating this. I've never had a problem with having a civil debate with anyone on any issue. I do have a problem with people like PleaseJesus, who come to an atheist forum and spout their ridiculous hypocrisy, which I made quite clear to him earlier. Fundamentalists and other creationists can't come here looking for a fight and then cry foul when they get put in their place.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes WindyCityJazz's post
09-12-2013, 08:43 PM
(09-12-2013 08:05 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 07:59 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Yeah.. as I said it's better to wait until if/when there is evidence for it.
sure, if this is what you choose.
(09-12-2013 07:59 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Your talking about prophets who were born thousands of years ago and had no idea how the world worked or even their brains.
not only about them. I am also talking about modern Prophets of God.

(09-12-2013 07:59 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  They even believed that the heart was where thought came from.
really> why do you say this?

(09-12-2013 07:59 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  No, it isn't reasonable to believe in prophets. There are so many factors involved that you must take what they say with a grain of salt.
any examples?
Maybe you should re-read my post Drinking Beverage
Emotions thoughts they believed these things to come from hearts.
“For out of the heart come forth evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, sexual sins, thefts, false testimony, and blasphemies.” (Matt. 15:19)
Ancient Egyptians who so carefully removed organs and placed them into jars in the process of mummification. What did they do with the Brian? They scrapped it out through the nose, to them it was a useless organ. These ancient people knew nearly nothing about anatomy. Look around, you'll see other folks believed that specific organs were responsible for emotions and all that crazy reflexology shit also from ancient practices where most of the bodies organs could be held or manipulated by sticking needles everywhere. They clearly didn't dissect bodies for any scientific or artistic purposes because that was outlawed by the church. Those highly medicated modern prophets in asylums? Or do you mean folks like Joseph Smith, David Koresh, and Jim Jones? Maybe You'd like to give me some other examplesSmile

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
09-12-2013, 08:57 PM
(09-12-2013 08:33 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 07:53 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  Please note fundies/religious people on here, this is an atheist forum, you came here to pick a fight with us. Or to try and convert us, or to troll, or because you doubt your own faith. No matter which it is, when you decide to bang the preacher drum and get told to fuck off, stop acting all surprised and butt hurt.

If you want to talk to us instead of at us, that would be more welcome. I can honestly say, from our side of the fence, preachy religious people are seen as pretentious and arrogant but people who just wish to engage in civil conversation and just so happen to hold religious views are much more respected.

Thank you for stating this. I've never had a problem with having a civil debate with anyone on any issue. I do have a problem with people like PleaseJesus, who come to an atheist forum and spout their ridiculous hypocrisy, which I made quite clear to him earlier. Fundamentalists and other creationists can't come here looking for a fight and then cry foul when they get put in their place.

Standard religious tactic though isn't it. ... if we disagree, we're bullies. It would be funny if it wasn't so tedious Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
09-12-2013, 09:00 PM
(09-12-2013 08:57 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 08:33 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  Thank you for stating this. I've never had a problem with having a civil debate with anyone on any issue. I do have a problem with people like PleaseJesus, who come to an atheist forum and spout their ridiculous hypocrisy, which I made quite clear to him earlier. Fundamentalists and other creationists can't come here looking for a fight and then cry foul when they get put in their place.

Standard religious tactic though isn't it. ... if we disagree, we're bullies. It would be funny if it wasn't so tedious Smile

Indeed Smile

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
10-12-2013, 02:59 PM
(09-12-2013 08:20 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 07:47 PM)Alla Wrote:  But it is reasonable to believe biblical Prophets and other God's Prophets that intelligent Being God used this Earth to make it a place that is good enough for living of intelligent beings.

Why is it reasonable? Or do you mean *reasonable* to you alone? Because that's not reasonable to me. If you WANT it to be reasonable to ME you're going to have to do better than this word salad you're tossing.

Word. Salad.
Salad of words strung together but meaning - not much atall.Shocking
I speak only for myself. If it is not reasonable to you it is not my business.
I know that intelligent beings can do something better then nature would do.
nature can not create beautiful oasis with roses and gardens in the middle of the desert the way intelligent beings can do it.
It is reasonable to believe that intelligent beings involve in nature and interact with nature because I see it every day of my life.
Prophets of God testify that God is intelligent Being Who interacts with nature and makes something better than nature would do.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
10-12-2013, 03:14 PM
(10-12-2013 02:59 PM)Alla Wrote:  I speak only for myself. If it is not reasonable to you it is not my business.
I know that intelligent beings can do something better then nature would do.
nature can not create beautiful oasis with roses and gardens in the middle of the desert the way intelligent beings can do it.
It is reasonable to believe that intelligent beings involve in nature and interact with nature because I see it every day of my life.
Prophets of God testify that God is intelligent Being Who interacts with nature and makes something better than nature would do.

First of all - if you post here it better be reasonable. If not it is your business and it needs to go elsewhere.

What intellegent beings do you speak of? Humans make some things better than nature, and nature makes many things better than humans - what is the point?!

You seem like a nice and placid person, but I also get the impression there were some of those different mushrooms in your chicken marsal last night!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
10-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Some of this is tl;dr so I'll just answer the op according to how I personally feel about monotheism. Tongue

The EXISTENCE of God, the creator, is the single most pretentious concept in all of human history. It assumes that there is a single, all-knowing creator (....who happens to have petty human emotions like jealousy--not sure how that pans out....) anyway, people who follow and believe in this creator get insider information into achieving a kick-ass after life.

So this means that everyone who has *ever existed* who followed a different religion or lacked a religion will suffer....for all eternity. YOU are special because you followed the correct deity out of a possible thousands.

This scenario is textbook pretension. Text. Book.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
10-12-2013, 03:29 PM
(10-12-2013 03:14 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  First of all - if you post here it better be reasonable. If not it is your business and it needs to go elsewhere.
What intellegent beings do you speak of? Humans make some things better than nature, and nature makes many things better than humans - what is the point?!
The point that it is reasonable to me to believe that God did great job by taking a rock(planet where life is not possible) and turn it to a beautiful planet that we have now.
It is more reasonable for me to believe that there are more chances that oasis with roses and gardens can appear in the middle of the desert because of the involvement of intelligent beings than there is a chance that nature would do it on its own.

(10-12-2013 03:14 PM)Timber1025 Wrote:  You seem like a nice and placid person, but I also get the impression there were some of those different mushrooms in your chicken marsal last night!
Smile

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection