Non-Existence Of God Is Pretentious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2013, 12:39 PM
RE: Non-Existence Of God Is Pretentious?
(11-12-2013 07:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-12-2013 07:47 PM)Alla Wrote:  sure.
But it is reasonable to believe biblical Prophets and other God's Prophets that intelligent Being God used this Earth to make it a place that is good enough for living of intelligent beings.
I believe Prophets of God that it is true.

No, it is not reasonable. There is no evidence that any of that is true, so it is not reasonable to believe it.

there is no evidence that in the beginning life happened on earth without involvement of intelligent beings. So, what you believe is also not reasonable.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2013, 12:46 PM
(11-12-2013 12:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  there is no evidence that in the beginning life happened on earth without involvement of intelligent beings. So, what you believe is also not reasonable.

For something as complicated as life-as-we-know-it, I think it's probably best to just apply occam's razor.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
11-12-2013, 12:53 PM
(11-12-2013 02:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 06:17 PM)Alla Wrote:  How do you know that in the beginning this natural process happened on Earth without involvement of intelligent being? You could be right but how do you know that?

I don't know that and it would be disingenuous if I claimed otherwise as I would have to claim knowledge I do not have. This applies to you as well.
OK.

(11-12-2013 02:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  As it has not been demonstrated, and likely never will, I don't deny the possibility of a deity or an intelligence outright, but I leave it out of the evaluation as it is an unnecessary component to the equation and it itself requires non-existent explanation. You are familiar with Occam's Razor, are you not?
Default: scepticism.
I am familiar. And I understand your point.

(11-12-2013 02:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(10-12-2013 06:17 PM)Alla Wrote:  P.S. What happens in the lab naturally happens because intelligent beings are getting involved, doesn't it?
Well, for one, we can know for certain that scientists, such as Stanley Urey and Harold Miller actually existed and have a wealth of evidence...
Good point.

(11-12-2013 02:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  One thing you didn't seem to get in your science class through highschool is that experimental conditions are set up by scientists in order to test hypothesises. In several experiments, the Urey-Miller Experiment being one of them, have shown that in the conditions scientists believe to be of early earth, amino acids can form naturally. The key part is to remember that only the environment was set up: the amino acids and organic molecules formed by themselves; back when Earth was a big hunk of unstable volcanic activity, covered in reactive elements, they could have easily formed on their own.
I understand this. Scientists are "playing" gods/creators.Smile

(11-12-2013 02:06 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Either your god is the laws of chemistry, isn't much of a god, did not have living things in it's mind when it built Earth, doesn't exist or has a really sick sense of humour.
Why do you say this?

11-12-2013, 01:34 PM
(11-12-2013 12:39 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 07:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  No, it is not reasonable. There is no evidence that any of that is true, so it is not reasonable to believe it.

there is no evidence that in the beginning life happened on earth without involvement of intelligent beings. So, what you believe is also not reasonable.

Chas didn't say that he believes anything therefore, he doesn't have to gather evidence to support any belief.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
11-12-2013, 01:48 PM
(09-12-2013 01:02 PM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  This is one of the most common accusations that I hear from religious people: "Do you really think that you're so big that nothing bigger than you exists? That's pretty pretentious to think you're so significant!"

So I always respond: "Actually, I feel that I'm quite small in the scheme of the universe. Do you realize that if you were to gather every grain of sand on Earth that our planet would not even represent a single grain of sand in the universe?" That is how UN-important we are. Do you really think that an almighty creator made this entire universe and that our planet is incredibly special in the scheme of the universe? If that is how you feel, then I'd say that YOU are the one that is being pretentious. Like it or not, the universe goes on with or without us. Our existence changes nothing."
Respectfully, I believe you're missing the point made by those who you label as religious people. In short, the point is that there is an objective view which is bigger than the subjective view. That is what is meant by a higher power than our individual selves.
11-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Alla - given the number of things you have said in your replies to more than a few posts, it is evident that your belief in a god is far different than most we encounter.

Perhaps a post about what you believe god is would be helpful for us in understanding your point of view.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
11-12-2013, 02:11 PM
(11-12-2013 01:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, I believe you're missing the point made by those who you label as religious people.
Childeye, to believe something doesn't make anybody religious. So, I do not label anybody with this label. But someone may believe/assume that life started on THIS Earth without involvement of intelligent beings.

(11-12-2013 01:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  In short, the point is that there is an objective view which is bigger than the subjective view. That is what is meant by a higher power than our individual selves.
OK

11-12-2013, 02:14 PM
(11-12-2013 01:55 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Alla - given the number of things you have said in your replies to more than a few posts, it is evident that your belief in a god is far different than most we encounter.

Perhaps a post about what you believe god is would be helpful for us in understanding your point of view.
Sure. God/Gods or Creator/Creators of our world is intelligent Being Who gets involve in nature. We(mortals) do the same thing only on different level.
One of those Gods is God Son Jehovah

11-12-2013, 02:59 PM
(11-12-2013 02:14 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 01:55 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Alla - given the number of things you have said in your replies to more than a few posts, it is evident that your belief in a god is far different than most we encounter.

Sure. God/Gods or Creator/Creators of our world is intelligent Being Who gets involve in nature. We(mortals) do the same thing only on different level.
Great, it's the TTT polytheistDodgy You have no idea at all. You're gonna get a lot of backlash if you continue to assert claims like this, there won't be any serious discussions. Sure have your personal claims of god(s) and prophets, live a happy life, just don't expect anyone to think what you say is reasonable. There is a forum that Gordy goes to, you might enjoy it there.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
11-12-2013, 03:04 PM
(11-12-2013 02:59 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(11-12-2013 02:14 PM)Alla Wrote:  Sure. God/Gods or Creator/Creators of our world is intelligent Being Who gets involve in nature. We(mortals) do the same thing only on different level.
Great, it's the TTT polytheistDodgy You have no idea at all. You're gonna get a lot of backlash if you continue to assert claims like this, there won't be any serious discussions. Sure have your personal claims of god(s) and prophets, live a happy life, just don't expect anyone to think what you say is reasonable. There is a forum that Gordy goes to, you might enjoy it there.
It is not my personal claim. It is biblical claim that there are Gods.