Non-Theist Church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Non-Theist Church
Here's a rather novel approach to religion from the Dutch;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14417362

What does anyone think, good idea or even weirder than conventional worship?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2011, 11:06 AM
RE: Non-Theist Church
It`s an interesting concept but still in my books totally without reasoning.
I mean I take issue with people every-time they say that the bible has a great layout for living, a way to be. The bible is full of horrid things it says are ok, and since a book needs to be taken on it`s full account I think we should just trash the damned thing as a morality tale altogether. Just keep it around to remember what we used to think like we do with Greek mythology.
There are no other books other than religious doctrine that aren't reviewed based off of their entirety. There is this weird shield that seems to protect religion and all of it's facets from complete scrutiny. Most Christians will even admit to only believing certain parts of the bible to be literal truth while the rest is supposed to be taken as a story lesson, which is bullshit because at no point within the bible itself does it say anything of the sort. So where do they get off being selective (though in truth I am glad they are for if they weren't we'd all likely be dead).
I'm ranting again. I've felt less silly and more irritated lately. Sad

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-08-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm not that much against cherry-picking, since it means that you aren't taking the word of the bible literally, but I'm against saying that some verse is good because it came out of the bible. You can still get wise phrases from Proverbs, Psalms or whatever, but people should not pin that on the bible being a book of wisdom. It's not. If anything, a good verse is there despite being in the bible.

In this case, they might be promoting this non-theist christianity to counter the rise of Islam in Europe. I've heard of this before, Christians wanting the non-religious to tick "Christianity" in the Religion part of the census because they know muslims will tick "Islam", and they want to keep it a minority.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
[+] 1 user Likes Efrx86's post
08-08-2011, 06:20 PM
very odd, the branching of religions should really disprove the existance of God anyway seeing as The Bible was the first and only scripture of "God".
all these New religions just make me think the world is getting more retarded.

"In real life , as opposed to that happy, clappy, rainbow fantasy world that you see fit to fly through´╗┐ on your winged unicorn of delusion" - Mitchell and Webb
[+] 1 user Likes James The Brit's post
08-08-2011, 11:09 PM
(08-08-2011 06:20 PM)James The Brit Wrote:  very odd, the branching of religions should really disprove the existance of God anyway seeing as The Bible was the first and only scripture of "God".
all these New religions just make me think the world is getting more retarded.

( on retarded )
Based on what I'm seeing in election candidates in the US, I believe your right, FRIGHTENING !

I wish all these new "boutique" religions would just slam into each other and short each other out. To many people just need some attention, that's all...

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
10-04-2013, 12:54 AM
Interesting but rather different. We are the group First Atheist Church of Truth but...We are just incorporated under that name to be considered clergy by the state and provide fully loaded wedding ceremonies and other services to our group, Wisconsin Freethinker's Association (or anyone that needs them), We are in no way a place for worship. We hold monthly meetings under the name Wisconsin Freethinker's Association to discuss subjects like art, music, poetry, common misconceptions about atheism/agnosticism/humanism/free thought. We provide support for local student groups in the form of lectures, reading material and anything else in that area. We only use the "church" status for the purpose we stated above so I'm not sure what the group's take on this will be, but I'll bring it up in our next meeting and post again with our group's consensus. Interesting topic!
10-04-2013, 02:41 AM
(10-04-2013 12:54 AM)F.A.C.T. Wrote:  Interesting but rather different. We are the group First Atheist Church of Truth but...We are just incorporated under that name to be considered clergy by the state and provide fully loaded wedding ceremonies and other services to our group, Wisconsin Freethinker's Association (or anyone that needs them), We are in no way a place for worship. We hold monthly meetings under the name Wisconsin Freethinker's Association to discuss subjects like art, music, poetry, common misconceptions about atheism/agnosticism/humanism/free thought. We provide support for local student groups in the form of lectures, reading material and anything else in that area. We only use the "church" status for the purpose we stated above so I'm not sure what the group's take on this will be, but I'll bring it up in our next meeting and post again with our group's consensus. Interesting topic!

I hate that you HAVE to have the word "church" in your organization's title to be given "clergy" status, but I think it sounds great!!! Don't get me started on marraige, but if 2 people wish to do so, it's refreshing to know they can get it done outside "holy" matrimony "before god"! Smile Smile

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
10-04-2013, 04:16 AM
I agree, agree and agree! We absolutely despise the church part of it but we do hold an inner grin every time we file paperwork with the county and get that double take... "Atheist Church!? how doe that work?" And about marriage...hehe...I only married after 5 happy years living together...but the VA (I'm a retired Vet) would not extend medical benefits to the wife, so we jumped in, sadly we had to use a church because of time constrains and I tell you, it was traumatizing, two militant atheists at an evangelical church, and the freaking preacher starts speaking in tongues in the middle of the ceremony! I guess the force was strong with us or as he said "the spirit of god was so strong in you two I was slain in the spirit!" (got it on video). Now picture his face after everything was signed and we let him in on our "secret"...Priceless. But we decided to spare other fellow non believers of that. However we mainly operate under Wisconsin Freethinker's Association so we don't have to stare at the church thing too often. Love your quote by the way, definitely in our top three, I miss Carlin as much as Hitchens.
10-04-2013, 06:19 AM
(10-04-2013 04:16 AM)F.A.C.T. Wrote:  And about marriage...hehe...I only married after 5 happy years living together...but the VA (I'm a retired Vet) would not extend medical benefits to the wife, so we jumped in, sadly we had to use a church because of time constrains and I tell you, it was traumatizing, two militant atheists at an evangelical church, and the freaking preacher starts speaking in tongues in the middle of the ceremony! I guess the force was strong with us or as he said "the spirit of god was so strong in you two I was slain in the spirit!" (got it on video).
Pics Vids or it didn't happen. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post