Non-biblical evidence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2013, 02:31 AM
Non-biblical evidence
Is there any non-biblical evidence...

...that the following people actually existed?
  • John the baptist
  • Paul the apostle
  • Any of the 12 disciples
...that the author of the Gospel according to St. Matthew was the apostle Matthew?
...that the author of the Gospel according to St. John was the apostle John?

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2013, 02:38 AM
RE: Non-biblical evidence
(01-07-2013 02:31 AM)f stop Wrote:  Is there any non-biblical evidence...

...that the following people actually existed?
  • John the baptist
  • Paul the apostle
  • Any of the 12 disciples
...that the author of the Gospel according to St. Matthew was the apostle Matthew?
...that the author of the Gospel according to St. John was the apostle John?

John the Baptist = yes there is non-biblical proof
Paul of Tarsus = I think so
The Disciples= A few of them show up in multiple sources James, the brother of Jesus was probably the most famous

Neither of the Gospels were written by Disciples. Noone knows who actually wrote them.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
01-07-2013, 05:44 AM
RE: Non-biblical evidence
There's a fantastic amount of non-biblical sourcing for Paul's existence because he was a Roman, and Romans were "registered", and also because he worked for Rome in killing Christians before his conversion (at which point he was known as "Saul of Tarsus"). The letters can't all be attributed to him, and Bart Ehrman went through them one by one in Jesus, Interrupted, examining whether each one was by Paul or not.

The two gospels you mentioned are not by the disciples they're attributed to, although it's possible that Luke was by an actual guy named Luke, although not the disciple or an eyewitness (because he needed Mark as a source and because his accounts can't all be accurate -- they're contradictory).

I had no idea about John the Baptist, so I also looked him up on Wikipedia and found that Josephus and the "Pseudo-Clementine literature" mentioned him, so I'd say he was probably a real person.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user