Non stop thinking Atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
03-05-2011, 11:16 AM
RE: Non stop thinking Atheist.
If I could believe in an afterlife I would, but my brain won't allow me to accept that sort of thing. Not without evidence anyway.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2011, 11:50 AM
It doesn't really bother me that much if I think about it but I think once it comes the time where your minutes from dying and you know it... your going to believe in everything in this world whether you say you won't or will it doesn't matter because you'll never know until that time comes. Human nature is to survive and live and if your about to die your going to do everything you can whether it's wish, pray or just rush everything through your mind to make you feel better about leaving this world. In the end though I too believe there is no god but when it's my time to die I'm sure I'll believe in about 30 different gods and pray to them all... even if their made up by my brain then. Like I said it's human nature.
03-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I get more comfort thinking that this is all there is, rather than this being a test or game. We may simply be matter in motion, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't put meaning into our lives by attempting to improve this world (In large and small ways). If you want to live forever, do it through your actions, and let the world remember you for eternity.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2011, 01:11 PM
(03-05-2011 08:02 AM)ebilekittae Wrote:  Oddly enough, I had these feelings towards the end of being a Christian... for some reason eternal life has always been far more terrifying to me than the thought of never existing. Attribute it to my study of Eastern culture and Nirvahna if you want. Tongue

Maybe thinking about the benefits of ceasing to exist will help you? While I REALLY enjoy living I kind of can't wait to die... Tongue I just want to make sure to leave something behind as a legacy first. It's definitely arrogant thinking, but thinking about future people standing on top of my accomplishments, just I would have those before me, and imagining them reading about my discoveries or contributions to make the world a better place for them to make the world a better place for others to make the world a better place... It's unlikely that I'll ever get that kind of recognition, but it's really satisfying to think about. Tongue That's the only kind of immortality I want.

Nonexistence is a very real heaven. there will literally be no more sorrow, no more tears. It will be the deepest, most comfortable, most restful sleep you can imagine. It will be the ultimate experience.

I find enlightenment in it. Maybe I'm weird. Maybe I made things worse instead of better, but it's kind of soothing to me actually. I hope sometime you can find it soothing, too. ^_^

While sure there would be no more sorrow and no more tears, but I wouldn't be self aware to think. " this is non existing." We're incapable of imaging what it'd be like without thought. I tried once to imagine non-existence as dark and silent<- but those senses require existence. So, I'm just terrified of not existing,to just be nothing, and no longer have thoughts and feelings. No feelings to even admire that i'm not feeling.

I don't make any sense, i'm rambling.
03-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Perhaps this will help.

"I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
— Mark Twain

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
[+] 1 user Likes Glaucus's post
04-05-2011, 01:23 AM
(03-05-2011 01:11 PM)SarahDarleen Wrote:  While sure there would be no more sorrow and no more tears, but I wouldn't be self aware to think. " this is non existing." We're incapable of imaging what it'd be like without thought. I tried once to imagine non-existence as dark and silent<- but those senses require existence. So, I'm just terrified of not existing,to just be nothing, and no longer have thoughts and feelings. No feelings to even admire that i'm not feeling.

I don't make any sense, i'm rambling.

Nonono, that makes sense! Smile I guess I can't really relate to the problem. Really sorry I couldn't help you much (if any)! I hope the best for you, that you find what you need to live comfortably. I hate to see your only life plagued by worry! Who knows, though, like someone earlier said, maybe there could be an afterlife. Big Grin I guess we'll find out. Tongue

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
04-05-2011, 02:55 AM
I went through the same crisis about a year ago. I must have spent two months barely able to sleep and unable to stop thinking about the horror of no longer existing. At the time I didn't think I would ever come to terms with it, but eventually I did. What helped me the most was a comment by someone- it might have been Hitchens but I can't remember just now- which was something like "the most comforting aspect of dying is that I'll never know it happened." Until I heard that, I had this weird notion that I would miss being alive and have regrets about all the things I did not acheive before the end came, but the reality is, I won't even know I've died, let alone miss being alive. As for what you're experiencing right now, just as you mourn the loss of a very close loved one, you will have to mourn your own (impending) loss for a period of time before you can accept it and move on.

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
04-05-2011, 02:55 AM
I went through a period when I was having serious doubts about my christian beliefs where I would end up having an anxiety attack from the thought of death. I was terrified. The idea that one of these days life will cease to exist for me is a scary thought. What got me through was admitting my non-belief to myself and realizing that the true meaning of life is what you make of it. For me it was finding the most amazing woman who has an amazing kid and finally settling down with my family, which also includes two amazing dogs. I love baseball and have started up my own podcast and blog. I wake up every morning refreshed knowing that I am no longer living a false life and can give everything I am to those that I love and enjoy what life has to offer. Life is no longer a test and I no longer have to worry about thinking the wrong thoughts or doing the wrong things and losing my ticket to heaven.

Sure there are days that I think about the end and it scares me. But then I realize what I have in this life and it makes me smile.

There is no easy way to get through it. Its something we all have to figure out on our own. But having a community like this makes the path much, much easier. Welcome and know that we are all here for you.
04-05-2011, 01:28 PM
I feel the way that the quote two posts above says- that I'll never know that I've died. The thought of someone else close to me dying makes my heart wrench, but when I die, there just won't be anything. I'll just snuff out of existence. No pain except to others close to me.

As for what the point is in living for atheists, that was a factor in picking my career choice. I wanted to have a job that I loved coming to every day. I look forward to the next couple of years in my sport, and I look forward even more to 10 or 15 years from now when I will be coaching my sport. Whenever I think about dying young, like in a car accident or something, it just makes me kind of sad because I wouldn't have been able to experience accomplishing my goals & becoming a coach. Sure, it's not going to be a road full of happiness, there is low points in coaching (also, I would have to have another job aside from coaching), but when I watch my coach or other coaches coaching, I just want to be in their spot. I do have something in life that I will love doing & will want to do again and again in the upcoming days. To me, that is better than just looking forward to the end, to an afterlife.
05-05-2011, 10:28 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 10:42 PM by djgenx7.)
To twist a scripture. Why care about dying while you're living? No disrespect, becasue the thought of it is sobering but I'll never know.