Non stop thinking Atheist.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
07-05-2011, 09:23 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2011 09:39 PM by tjv323.)
RE: Non stop thinking Atheist.
I'm not sure if someone said this already, but if you think about it, non-existence isn't that scary. You didn't exist before you were born, and you didn't know it, and you can't remember it. When death comes, it will be exactly the same.

I'm not sure if that's comforting for you, but it at least helps you understand what not existing will be.
Sorry I had to add some things, after posting i remembered a Richard Dawkins video I watched on Youtube.

One of his quotes was this:

"We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here."

heres at least part of that video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOXMjCnKwb4
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2011, 01:08 AM
I think we've all heard the argument from people that if you don't believe in god, there's no point to existence. Well, I kinda have to disagree.

Obviously, I don't believe there's any sort of divine plan to the universe. There's no karma, or cosmic justice or anything like that.

To me, the point of existence is to live. To experience anything and everything that you can (or choose to), to gain and share knowledge, and to enrich the lives of those you care about.

As for the fear of death, it's understandable and a basis for the religious belief of many people, but I do not fear death. I came from nothing and to nothing I will one day return. It won't be scary or depressing or bleak. It will be nothing. Just as it was before I was born.

Now, dying on the other hand, that's something I fear. Mostly because I know I will never be able to do all the things I want to. But death holds no fear for me.

For God so loved the world that he arranged for everyone to both have free will and to suffer the terrible consequences of making the wrong choice. Kind of a dick move, God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-05-2011, 06:00 PM

(03-05-2011 12:36 AM)SarahDarleen Wrote:  It's 2:18 am and I was laying in bed thinking about Atheism. Knowing that I know there is no god, and no afterlife, and I wasn't wishing that there was.

But I got really upset at the thought of not "being" anymore, I wouldn't even know it, but I just feel like I want to be "here" and "exist". And enjoy this before I am nothing.

What is this?

Seriously, what is life? What is this?

I hate when people say " you're an atheist why don't you just kill yourself if there's no point." Theists have a God that gives them purpose, and I give myself purpose, secular virtues. There is so much to live for and to experience in our little blip of a lifespan.

I've only been an Atheist for a couple years, although I am confident in my beliefs..or disbeliefs and there is no changing that nor is there wishing I had a religion.

However there are nights like tonight where I am up crying and have panic attacks because I can't stop thinking about how fleeting life is and how much I don't want to die. I have to wake up in about 3 hours and I can't even sleep because of my racing thoughts.

I know that a lot of us try to seem all cool about it, but I have a feeling we all felt like this at some point, maybe near the beginning of your atheism.

Please....any advice is welcome..

I completely relate to how you are feeling. I guess I would be considered a new atheiest, and the idea of non existance after death is something that doesn't really bother me, but I'll tell you what does. I have this fear that one of my children will die before I do, and the knowledge that if that happens I will never ever see them again bugs me. I understand where having some kind of religious faith would be comforting here, but it will be fake because I know there isn't a heaven that we float up to, when we die we are dead, we cease to exist. And the thought of having one of my babies, that I love so much, be gone from me forever almost brings me to tears. Its a harsh reality, but I accept that it IS the reality. The best way for me to cope with that reality is to value the time I do have with them. I don't park them in front on the TV and forget about them, I play outside with them, I draw pictures with them, I make sure they know how much I love and treasure them. This also applies to every aspects of my life. I know this is all I have, so I make the most of it and find fullfillment in my life now, while I can. And I'm thankful for the life that I have, and for my children, just because I'm not thankful to a god doesn't mean I don't appreciate it. I appreciate it more because I know this is the only time we have.
Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2011, 06:20 PM
I can sympathise with how you feel. I once had a dream that I was in a state of virtual non-existence (I think its impossible for the human brain to imagine being in a state of non-existence but I was as close as possible) and I really shook me and has stayed with me ever since.

I don't think I can give any advice. Just to tell you that these fears can fade. I still remember my dream but it no longer bothers me. I can't explain why but I feel that I have made my peace with the fact that I will one day die.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
23-05-2011, 11:20 PM
I had a very difficult childhood, so I've never really feared death. Not existing for me is something good. As a child I also often visited a grandmother kept alive by machines who knew nothing of anything and looked in pain always. I see death for the deceased as a release from pain, granted there is happiness to come which they miss out on, but there is a lot more pain in life than happiness. For me living means having to make a conscious effort to live. You can't simply lay around all day and continue living. No matter how good my life might become I'll always feel that death is nothing but a simpler state. I also don't generally fear my views being erased from time. I'm very talkative and influential. People discuss ideas of mine with others and it spreads. That is all I would need if I ever worried about what me not existing would do to the rest of the world. I don't though, because me not existing would benefit the world equally as me existing, just in a different way.

Life matters greatly for those based in reality, because they realize the thing that must be fixed and corrected and bolstered is reality. There are so many ways to make a difference in the lives of others (this not being human specific). My goal in life is to make difficult paths like transsexualism and intersexuality less difficult by thrusting myself in front of opposition. I've seen change in these factors partly due to me, such as the college I went to.

A good suggestion for you I believe, would be to sit down and make a video will. Have something tangent that would be available in the event of you dying, so that all the people who are mourning your non-existence can know how you felt. If you fear non-existence, find a way to feel that in some way you still exist. Just realize that it's a superficial existence with benefits that allow you no discomfort. To me the best answer though to a fear of death is the knowledge that when you die you will know what happens. No matter how certain you are human claims may be false the actual mystery exists until you die. It's the one point in life where you truly stop having questions. Answers will exist for you at the point of non-existence.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.