Non-theist children in private schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2016, 03:10 AM
Non-theist children in private schools?
Hey everyone,
I was just wondering about this. So I live in this area where the school districts are either really great or really bad. The difference in real estate prices between the good school districts and the bad school districts are huge. I don't have children yet and won't for a few more years still but I am considering buying a condo/townhouse in about two years. I prefer public school but if the district I end up living is horrible I wouldn't want my children to go to that school district. Nearly all of the private schools around here are religious. I myself went to Catholic school for lower elementary and know how much time is spent on religious instruction. That makes me very uncomfortable but so does the idea of my future children being around drugs and crime. I am putting the cart before the horse here by about three years but when it comes to thinking of having children I don't think you can put enough thought into it. So parents how have you handled the issue of living in bad school districts but not wanting your children indoctrinated by religious private school?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2016, 04:22 AM
RE: Non-theist children in private schools?
(27-03-2016 03:10 AM)jerseygirlar Wrote:  Hey everyone,
I was just wondering about this. So I live in this area where the school districts are either really great or really bad. The difference in real estate prices between the good school districts and the bad school districts are huge. I don't have children yet and won't for a few more years still but I am considering buying a condo/townhouse in about two years. I prefer public school but if the district I end up living is horrible I wouldn't want my children to go to that school district. Nearly all of the private schools around here are religious. I myself went to Catholic school for lower elementary and know how much time is spent on religious instruction. That makes me very uncomfortable but so does the idea of my future children being around drugs and crime. I am putting the cart before the horse here by about three years but when it comes to thinking of having children I don't think you can put enough thought into it. So parents how have you handled the issue of living in bad school districts but not wanting your children indoctrinated by religious private school?

Send your children to the best school that you can afford.

Let the school indoctrinate your children with christardology.

In response, you teach your children that christardology is the nonsense that it obviously is.

This is going to happen naturally in the wider society when your children get older anyway so you may as well get them used to it at an early age.

The more ideas that your children they are exposed to, the better. It will develop more synapses and teach them to think, reason and debate at an early age. This can only be a good thing.

Embrace the challenge is what I say.

Good luck.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
[+] 2 users Like god has no twitter account's post
27-03-2016, 04:28 AM
(27-03-2016 04:22 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Send your children to the best school that you can afford.

In response, you teach your children that christardology is the nonsense that it obviously is.

This is going to happen naturally in the wider society when your children get older anyway so you may as well get them used to it at an early age.

The more ideas that your children they are exposed to, the better. It will develop more synapses and teach them to think, reason and debate at an early age. This can only be a good thing.

Good luck.

Hell yeah, let your kids in on the joke. Not only is all of the Christianity they are teaching bullshit, but a good number of the people at the school (if it really is a good private school and the teachers and chaplains have been to legit seminary and are up to speed with modern biblical studies), they know it is too. They'll be like the first kids in class to figure out that Santa is bullshit before everyone else has caught on. Knowledge is power, and that level of veil destroying information would be intoxicating in that environment.

You can't threaten a kid with hell when they know it's bullshit. Big Grin

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
27-03-2016, 04:41 AM
(27-03-2016 04:28 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(27-03-2016 04:22 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  Send your children to the best school that you can afford.

Good luck.

Hell yeah, let your kids in on the joke. Not only is all of the Christianity they are teaching bullshit, but a good number of the people at the school (if it really is a good private school and the teachers and chaplains have been to legit seminary and are up to speed with modern biblical studies), they know it is too. They'll be like the first kids in class to figure out that Santa is bullshit before everyone else has caught on. Knowledge is power, and that level of veil destroying information would be intoxicating in that environment.

You can't threaten a kid with hell when they know it's bullshit. Big Grin

Update: Done some checking. Afaik, here in the UK, it is illegal for faith schools to have 100% faith teachers and 100% children of parents who are of the faith. So, if the school finds out that you aren't a christard, there's probably little they can do about it.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
27-03-2016, 05:56 AM
I guess it would depend on how terrible the public school is, but I would never send my child to a religious private school. Ever. There are too many Christians, teachers and students, who will make a known nonbeliever a conversion project and/or a target. I would instead look for a secular private school or supplement my child's education.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
27-03-2016, 06:18 AM
(27-03-2016 05:56 AM)julep Wrote:  I guess it would depend on how terrible the public school is, but I would never send my child to a religious private school. Ever. There are too many Christians, teachers and students, who will make a known nonbeliever a conversion project and/or a target. I would instead look for a secular private school or supplement my child's education.

I also think that it would depend on the country.

Murica is far more committed to christardology and more extreme than here in the UK. Apart from the evangelical christards, no one really gives a flying fart about christardology in the UK - apart from the kat lickers - and, given what their priests have been up to, they keep quiet lest they get the crap kicked out of them, metaphorically speaking, of course. In the UK, in April 2015, only 30% of the population stated that they had a faith. That percentage is falling.

27-03-2016, 06:33 AM
(27-03-2016 06:18 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(27-03-2016 05:56 AM)julep Wrote:  I guess it would depend on how terrible the public school is, but I would never send my child to a religious private school. Ever. There are too many Christians, teachers and students, who will make a known nonbeliever a conversion project and/or a target. I would instead look for a secular private school or supplement my child's education.

I also think that it would depend on the country.

Murica is far more committed to christardology and more extreme than here in the UK. Apart from the evangelical christards, no one really gives a flying fart about christardology in the UK - apart from the kat lickers - and, given what their priests have been up to, they keep quiet lest they get the crap kicked out of them, metaphorically speaking, of course. In the UK, in April 2015, only 30% of the population stated that they had a faith. That percentage is falling.

I agree with you. Although I think Jerseygirl is writing from/about the US. (as am I)

Back when I taught college (in the US), the private school kids tended to perform slightly worse academically than the public school kids. (That was just my personal experience, although some of my professor friends have told me their experiences have been similar.) College expectations are higher, and the private school kids seemed to have a harder time adjusting to them, not sure why.
27-03-2016, 06:45 AM
(27-03-2016 06:33 AM)julep Wrote:  
(27-03-2016 06:18 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  I also think that it would depend on the country.

I agree with you. Although I think Jerseygirl is writing from/about the US. (as am I)

Back when I taught college (in the US), the private school kids tended to perform slightly worse academically than the public school kids. (That was just my personal experience, although some of my professor friends have told me their experiences have been similar.) College expectations are higher, and the private school kids seemed to have a harder time adjusting to them, not sure why.

We have an island just off Britland called Jersey. I wasn't sure whether Jerseygirl was from here or Murica. Either way, my feeling is that rather than put my kids in a piss-poor school, I'd go for the better school even though they would get christardologised because I can counteract christardology with ease. I'm not sure that I can counteract a piss-poor education.

27-03-2016, 07:09 AM
(27-03-2016 06:45 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(27-03-2016 06:33 AM)julep Wrote:  I agree with you. Although I think Jerseygirl is writing from/about the US. (as am I)

We have an island just off Britland called Jersey. I wasn't sure whether Jerseygirl was from here or Murica. Either way, my feeling is that rather than put my kids in a piss-poor school, I'd go for the better school even though they would get christardologised because I can counteract christardology with ease. I'm not sure that I can counteract a piss-poor education.

Interesting! Now I wonder which Jersey!

My reasoning was exactly the opposite: I felt confident I could counteract a piss-poor education much more easily than I could christardology, and that was the approach I took with my son--who is off to college in about five months' time! That's possibly because I went to a terrible public school as a kid and had no difficulty getting into an excellent college (because I read voraciously and had kind of educated myself).

However, I grew up with a lot of Christian emotional and social pressure and believe that a Christian school would have made that pressure even worse.

The environment you describe is so different. A private Christian school where there's not much real pressure or expectation to form students into ardent believers sounds like an okay option.
27-03-2016, 07:47 AM
(27-03-2016 07:09 AM)julep Wrote:  However, I grew up with a lot of Christian emotional and social pressure and believe that a Christian school would have made that pressure even worse.

The environment you describe is so different. A private Christian school where there's not much real pressure or expectation to form students into ardent believers sounds like an okay option.

Ah, those words again - social pressure. Aspergers - the only solid defense to the social world.

[+] 1 user Likes god has no twitter account's post