Non-theist children in private schools?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2016, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2016 09:18 AM by Ash.)
RE: Non-theist children in private schools?
The simple solution is to move to a district with good schools (at least as long as you're planning on moving anyway). That's what my wife and I did. I'd hate to think that my money was being used by a school to indoctrinate other kids who were more susceptible to the bullshit. Plus private schools can turn down kids, and kick them out at their own volition.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2016, 09:25 AM
(27-03-2016 06:33 AM)julep Wrote:  
(27-03-2016 06:18 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  I also think that it would depend on the country.

Murica is far more committed to christardology and more extreme than here in the UK. Apart from the evangelical christards, no one really gives a flying fart about christardology in the UK - apart from the kat lickers - and, given what their priests have been up to, they keep quiet lest they get the crap kicked out of them, metaphorically speaking, of course. In the UK, in April 2015, only 30% of the population stated that they had a faith. That percentage is falling.

I agree with you. Although I think Jerseygirl is writing from/about the US. (as am I)

Back when I taught college (in the US), the private school kids tended to perform slightly worse academically than the public school kids. (That was just my personal experience, although some of my professor friends have told me their experiences have been similar.) College expectations are higher, and the private school kids seemed to have a harder time adjusting to them, not sure why.

Let me ask a serious question here. Those who "Home School" always without exception claim that their kids do better in colleges than those who have had a real education. What are your experiences there?
27-03-2016, 09:27 AM
(27-03-2016 09:10 AM)Ash Wrote:  The simple solution is to move to a district with good schools (at least as long as you're planning on moving anyway). That's what my wife and I did. I'd hate to think that my money was being used by a school to indoctrinate other kids who were more susceptible to the bullshit. Plus private schools can turn down kids, and kick them out at their own volition.

Right. That is what happened to me. I disagreed with a few teachers and found my self kicked out of high school. that was fifty four years ago.
27-03-2016, 10:08 AM
(27-03-2016 09:25 AM)DerFish Wrote:  
(27-03-2016 06:33 AM)julep Wrote:  I agree with you. Although I think Jerseygirl is writing from/about the US. (as am I)

Back when I taught college (in the US), the private school kids tended to perform slightly worse academically than the public school kids. (That was just my personal experience, although some of my professor friends have told me their experiences have been similar.) College expectations are higher, and the private school kids seemed to have a harder time adjusting to them, not sure why.

Let me ask a serious question here. Those who "Home School" always without exception claim that their kids do better in colleges than those who have had a real education. What are your experiences there?

I've had very little experience with home-schooled kids. I currently teach music privately (at college I was teaching writing) and have private school and public school students, but no home-schooled students. I'm not hooked into whatever homeschooler education networks exist in my state, and I live in a state that tests as our own country and has a pretty good public education system compared to many.

I've met some homeschooler parents online. Most of them have not impressed me as people I'd want to teach anyone; most--by no means all--are home-schooling because the public schools are godless, not because the schools are providing a poor education.

Oftentimes the colleges the Christian home-schooled kids are going to are Christian colleges; it wouldn't surprise me if those kids excel in that kind of environment.