Nonbelief and the logic that supports it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-03-2010, 02:55 PM

RE: Nonbelief and the logic that supports it
I thought I'd throw in my $.02 on this so called 'free will'. Growing up in a very religious household and family I've heard many different cop-outs Christian theists invoke to get around the inconsistency of this doctrine. Below I'll list some common queries put to Christians and their usual answers/defenses/justifications. After each defense I put some possible rebuttals.
Queries:
"If God is omniscient then whats the point of free will if he knows whether I'm going to hell or heaven already?"

"How come God didn't learn his lesson when Lucifer used his free will to rebel and corrupt God's creations."

"Did the hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of people who lived before the invention of Christianity also have free will? or did they just go strait to hell?"

And the not so common K.O.D. question (that I formulated as I typed), "Why did God, this supreme intelligence that has the power to create universes from scratch, decide to make us, fragile, diseased, factious, insignificant humans on this speck of a rock in this vast cosmos with the sole intent of choosing, in the time-span of our ridiculously short lives, whether to spend that short time bowing down to said supreme intelligence with the reward for doing so being an eternity of more bowing and the punishment for exercising the free will we're given by choosing to not bow down is eternal pain and suffering? Your move Reverend."

Christian defenses:
"How do we know, or where does it say in the Bible that God is omniscient?"
-If you know the Bible at all you can point to some verses such as: 1 Corinthians 13:2 or Psalm 139 which strongly imply that God is all knowing. Or simply ask how any prophecy in the Bible is supposed to be true and where they got the foreknowledge if God wasn't omniscient.

"God can see all of the possible outcomes of every one of your actions but he doesn't know what you'll choose, that's your free will."
-If you know the right science you can question further with dimensional discrepancies regarding time and linear action frames or simply ask how they came by this information and watch them squirm and do mental back-flips for an answer.

"Don't ask hard questions! Your supposed to believe, not think and question!"
-Slid this one in to see if your paying attention, its what their all thinking but don't ever voice aloud.

"God gave you free will so that you can choose for yourself to love and serve him instead of being forced to, he is not omniscient and doesn't know your decisions beforehand."
-You can either question why God gives us a choice then damns us for making the one he dislikes, use Bible verses to challenge God's purported omniscience or sneak a fast one in on them and ask what they think the meaning of Exodus 4:11 is and why God made inborn disabilities.

"Free will is only the ability to choose not to serve the Creator, just like you have the free will to decide where to eat for lunch except the choice to live for God is eternal and the most important."
-Once again ask what the penalty is for using said free will and not serving God and how it can be called free will with the fear of eternal fire hanging on our decision.

My bad if this is long, I get carried away sometimes.
Quote this message in a reply