Norse mythology

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Norse mythology
So I was thinking I would do some reading on Norse mythology. Why? Because im from Denmark, I think it's fascinating and because let's face it... Norse mythology is AWESOME!Big Grin You get 72 virgins? Or is it raisins? Well i get to fight, fuck and eat all the way to ragnarok!Smile Beat that!

So I did a little research, thinking i could find a "bible" or whatever at amazon, and then i could just buy an Oxford World's Classic and I would be golden. But it turned out it wasn't that simpleSad It was some time ago I did this and other things, and I remember comming to the conclusion that i had no idea where to start, or if it was possible to buy a single book containing all the myths/saga's and so on.

So I was hoping there was someone here with a little knowledge about the subject. The only stuff I have ever read about Norse mythology is from novels and comic booksSmile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Jakel's post
27-10-2011, 02:25 AM
RE: Norse mythology
(26-10-2011 04:16 PM)Jakel Wrote:  So I was thinking I would do some reading on Norse mythology. Why? Because im from Denmark, I think it's fascinating and because let's face it... Norse mythology is AWESOME!Big Grin You get 72 virgins? Or is it raisins? Well i get to fight, fuck and eat all the way to ragnarok!Smile Beat that!

So I did a little research, thinking i could find a "bible" or whatever at amazon, and then i could just buy an Oxford World's Classic and I would be golden. But it turned out it wasn't that simpleSad It was some time ago I did this and other things, and I remember comming to the conclusion that i had no idea where to start, or if it was possible to buy a single book containing all the myths/saga's and so on.

So I was hoping there was someone here with a little knowledge about the subject. The only stuff I have ever read about Norse mythology is from novels and comic booksSmile

I have that exact amount of a little knowledge on the subject.

There is no way there would be an entire encompassing book of Norse Mythology because there was never a collection like the Bible made. I'm sure there must be a book of the major creation-Ragnarok and other key tales like Baulder bundled somewhere to purchase.

The issue with a confirmed story is because over the years of collecting the tales there are many massive different versions of the same essential stories. I recall reading how they've been split by different timeframes of when they were made and the larger Christian influence was clear in the later renditions.

Many texts show how some key characters can be seen in different lights to some collections that nearly explain that Loki and Odin could be one in the same with the good or darkness of a certain character.
27-10-2011, 06:43 AM
Seriously!? I'm converting, joking. Would've if Norse still exist for those virgins.
02-11-2011, 01:16 PM
(27-10-2011 02:25 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  There is no way there would be an entire encompassing book of Norse Mythology because there was never a collection like the Bible made. I'm sure there must be a book of the major creation-Ragnarok and other key tales like Baulder bundled somewhere to purchase.

The issue with a confirmed story is because over the years of collecting the tales there are many massive different versions of the same essential stories. I recall reading how they've been split by different timeframes of when they were made and the larger Christian influence was clear in the later renditions.

Many texts show how some key characters can be seen in different lights to some collections that nearly explain that Loki and Odin could be one in the same with the good or darkness of a certain character.

Bah i was affraid it was something like thatBig Grin Oh well, thanks for the help, I guess i have to do some more extensive research thenSmile
03-11-2011, 04:56 AM
Nah, man. Wotan All-Father. Loki's Loki - a modern equivalent in my mind is deterministic chaos. And yeah, you gotta party like a superstar you wanna be Norse. Big Grin

I'm Irish, Kelt ain't too far from Norse thinking - and these kinds of thoughts reflect the cultures of the individuals and their context - without a Codex, there is no baseline - but as the Druids have validated - having a Codex is serious "security flaw."

(To be a Druid was twenty years of learning oral tradition where writing stuff down was punishable by death - but they knew the score - cause that power structure was autocratic like nobody's business. Yeah, knowledge is power - always was, always will be.)

Can't really be Norse these days without being a pirate - because it is a total life-style of killing, konquering, and Kaos... where Valkyries fly the honorably slain to an impermanent heaven where this kinda stuff continues happening until the heat-death of the universe when Ragnarok kicks off...

That's Hardcore, baby! Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
25-11-2011, 12:11 PM
The Poetic Edda is considered the main source of Norse Myths and gods. Maybe you could consider that the bible of Norse Mythology.
28-11-2011, 03:53 PM
(25-11-2011 12:11 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  The Poetic Edda is considered the main source of Norse Myths and gods. Maybe you could consider that the bible of Norse Mythology.

Yeah I came to that conclusion tooSmile It's on my to-buy listSmile
28-11-2011, 05:36 PM
This is from someone else's reply, so i can't vouch for it.

"Exploring The Northern Tradition: A Guide To The Gods, Lore, Rites And Celebrations From The Norse, German And Anglo-saxon Traditions" by Galina Krasskova and Swain Wodening.

"The Norse Myths" by Kevin Crossly Holland. Holland takes the stories from the Prose Edda and retells them in a way that might make more sense to the uneducated reader.

Or, you can ask your local librarian, or look through the catalogue of your library - ours is available on line.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
28-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Norse Mythology is the most hardcore mythology out there. Much better than the Greek/Roman's.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]