North Carolina atheists exist, too

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2013, 11:47 AM
North Carolina atheists exist, too
Hello fellow heathens of the interwebz. As you can see from my post count, I am new to TTA Forum. I guess it is time for a little bt about me:

I am 24 years old and originally from North Carolina. Thanks to the Army I now live in Washington state in Tacoma about 30 minutes south of Seattle. I was raised Christian/Southern Baptist and never really felt "God's love" even though I told myself for the longest time that I was a Christian. I first started to doubt God when I was 14, thusly becoming agnostic, and made the jump to full blown atheist when I was 18. I have never been one to blast my theist friends or people I meet because from a perosnal level I don't have a problem with someone having irrational beliefs. It comes down to: I don't care about what you think, I care about what you do. I am not a Progressive Liberal nor am I a Conservative. I am a Social Liberal-Fiscal Conservative, also known as a Libertarian. The left and right are not doing anything to help America, other than blame each other for all the problems.

I came across Seth's website and podcast when I asked around on reddit for some atheist YouTube channels. I have been a follower since November 2012 and have done my best to catch up on the previous podcasts. I look forward to enlightened, heartfelt discussion on here with all of you fellow demon spawns.

[Image: bmHWg.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2013, 11:52 AM
RE: North Carolina atheists exist, too
(30-01-2013 11:47 AM)Generation Why? Wrote:  Hello fellow heathens of the interwebz. As you can see from my post count, I am new to TTA Forum. I guess it is time for a little bt about me:

I am 24 years old and originally from North Carolina. Thanks to the Army I now live in Washington state in Tacoma about 30 minutes south of Seattle. I was raised Christian/Southern Baptist and never really felt "God's love" even though I told myself for the longest time that I was a Christian. I first started to doubt God when I was 14, thusly becoming agnostic, and made the jump to full blown atheist when I was 18. I have never been one to blast my theist friends or people I meet because from a perosnal level I don't have a problem with someone having irrational beliefs. It comes down to: I don't care about what you think, I care about what you do. I am not a Progressive Liberal nor am I a Conservative. I am a Social Liberal-Fiscal Conservative, also known as a Libertarian. The left and right are not doing anything to help America, other than blame each other for all the problems.

I came across Seth's website and podcast when I asked around on reddit for some atheist YouTube channels. I have been a follower since November 2012 and have done my best to catch up on the previous podcasts. I look forward to enlightened, heartfelt discussion on here with all of you fellow demon spawns.

Welcome. Join in and have a good time.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Welcome.

Hey, there have been some news items lately about how the US military is shoving religion onto the servicemen. I'm wondering, are you still in the military and do you have any relevant insider experiences with your the army and whether they did or didn't force religion onto you?

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
30-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Welcome.

But, I thought NC was pretty liberal/secular.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
30-01-2013, 12:42 PM
(30-01-2013 12:08 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Welcome.

Hey, there have been some news items lately about how the US military is shoving religion onto the servicemen. I'm wondering, are you still in the military and do you have any relevant insider experiences with your the army and whether they did or didn't force religion onto you?

It varies by unit. According to the roster, I am one of two open atheists in my unit of 1,000+ soldiers. My chaplain and fellow soldiers have been very respectful of my non-belief, and I am very respectful of their beliefs. They tend to get preachy around certain issues. My best friend killed himself in Iraq and we had the typical follow up sessions about coping with suicide. The chaplain is responsible to lead these events and he did a pretty good job of not involving God. Most people in the Army get it. The ones that don't are not really as prevalent as they are made out to be.

30-01-2013, 01:17 PM
(30-01-2013 12:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Welcome.

In seriousness, some parts are. Not where I am from. Even more fun is I am marrying a Catholic girl from Idaho. Much to no one's suprise the Catholic church said no to marrying us.

30-01-2013, 02:01 PM
(30-01-2013 11:47 AM)Generation Why? Wrote:  Hello from a fellow NC atheist. I see your clip from Bible Camp. The scariest film I've ever seen. I didn't sleep for days after first seeing it.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. – Thomas Paine
30-01-2013, 02:03 PM
(30-01-2013 01:17 PM)Generation Why? Wrote:  
(30-01-2013 12:18 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Welcome.

In seriousness, some parts are. Not where I am from. Even more fun is I am marrying a Catholic girl from Idaho. Much to no one's suprise the Catholic church said no to marrying us.
My brother is a pastor in Efland (Raleigh/Durham metro area), and he said there are a lot of irreligious people in the area.

So, I guess it might just be the greater Raleigh/Durham area that is like that.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
30-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Wow, Gen Why, that flashy rainbow dinosaur gif of in your sig is painful. I think I may actually have had an epileptic fit. Or a sneeze. I'm not sure which. But it's painful.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
30-01-2013, 03:11 PM
(30-01-2013 02:03 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(30-01-2013 01:17 PM)Generation Why? Wrote:  In seriousness, some parts are. Not where I am from. Even more fun is I am marrying a Catholic girl from Idaho. Much to no one's suprise the Catholic church said no to marrying us.
My brother is a pastor in Efland (Raleigh/Durham metro area), and he said there are a lot of irreligious people in the area.

So, I guess it might just be the greater Raleigh/Durham area that is like that.

You have UNC and the Research Triangle up there. That's about all the non-Jesus you're gonna get.