North Carolina atheists exist, too

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2013, 03:20 PM
RE: North Carolina atheists exist, too
(30-01-2013 02:25 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Wow, Gen Why, that flashy rainbow dinosaur gif of in your sig is painful. I think I may actually have had an epileptic fit. Or a sneeze. I'm not sure which. But it's painful.

Changed for now until I find one that doesn't create seizures.

[Image: bmHWg.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2013, 06:23 PM
(30-01-2013 12:42 PM)Generation Why? Wrote:  
(30-01-2013 12:08 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Welcome.

Hey, there have been some news items lately about how the US military is shoving religion onto the servicemen. I'm wondering, are you still in the military and do you have any relevant insider experiences with your the army and whether they did or didn't force religion onto you?

It varies by unit. According to the roster, I am one of two open atheists in my unit of 1,000+ soldiers. My chaplain and fellow soldiers have been very respectful of my non-belief, and I am very respectful of their beliefs.

That was my experience as well some 30 years ago now in the USN. Navy didn't give a shit what I believed, what my skin color is, or what's between my legs. They did give quite the shit about how well I did my job, though.

(30-01-2013 12:08 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  They tend to get preachy around certain issues. My best friend killed himself in Iraq and we had the typical follow up sessions about coping with suicide. The chaplain is responsible to lead these events and he did a pretty good job of not involving God. Most people in the Army get it. The ones that don't are not really as prevalent as they are made out to be.

Herschel Walker spoke last year at our annual mandatory suicide prevention training. He talked a lot about God but did so in such a personal way I didn't find it at all offensive. He wasn't proselytizing, just describing his own life.

(30-01-2013 01:17 PM)Generation Why? Wrote:  Even more fun is I am marrying a Catholic girl from Idaho. Much to no one's suprise the Catholic church said no to marrying us.

Really? Times must've changed. 26 years ago the Catholic Church allowed me to marry a Catholic girl in a Church in front of a Priest even though they knew I was an avowed atheist. All I had to do was promise not to interfere with the Catholic upbringing of any children. I kept my promise. All 4 now adult children turned out atheist anyway.

Breathing - it's more art than science.
30-01-2013, 06:27 PM
(30-01-2013 06:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Really? Times must've changed. 26 years ago the Catholic Church allowed me to marry a Catholic girl in a Church in front of a Priest even though they knew I was an avowed atheist. All I had to do was promise not to interfere with the Catholic upbringing of any children. I kept my promise. All 4 now adult children turned out atheist anyway.
They tend to be a little picky in Idaho. Our agreement to each other regarding children is the same. She can raise them in the Church but if they ask my opinion on God/religion/belief, I will tell them what I think.

[Image: bmHWg.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Generation Why?'s post
30-01-2013, 06:46 PM
(30-01-2013 06:27 PM)Generation Why? Wrote:  
(30-01-2013 06:23 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Really? Times must've changed. 26 years ago the Catholic Church allowed me to marry a Catholic girl in a Church in front of a Priest even though they knew I was an avowed atheist. All I had to do was promise not to interfere with the Catholic upbringing of any children. I kept my promise. All 4 now adult children turned out atheist anyway.
They tend to be a little picky in Idaho. Our agreement to each other regarding children is the same. She can raise them in the Church but if they ask my opinion on God/religion/belief, I will tell them what I think.

Yup. Thumbsup Kept my fucked-up nihilistic worldview to myself until they asked. I responded "The concept of some promise of a postmortem preservation of identity son/daughter is not only untenable, it's fucking bullshit." They all asked in their mid-teens.

30-01-2013, 06:50 PM
(30-01-2013 06:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-01-2013 06:27 PM)Generation Why? Wrote:  They tend to be a little picky in Idaho. Our agreement to each other regarding children is the same. She can raise them in the Church but if they ask my opinion on God/religion/belief, I will tell them what I think.

Yup. Thumbsup Kept my fucked-up nihilistic worldview to myself until they asked. I responded "The concept of some promise of a postmortem preservation of identity son/daughter is not only untenable, it's fucking bullshit." They all asked in their mid-teens.
Girly, can I be your adoptive online son? I have a good father, and a sea daddy, but never had a cross-dressing, sumo, atheist daddy. Tongue

30-01-2013, 07:01 PM
(30-01-2013 06:50 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(30-01-2013 06:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yup. Thumbsup Kept my fucked-up nihilistic worldview to myself until they asked. I responded "The concept of some promise of a postmortem preservation of identity son/daughter is not only untenable, it's fucking bullshit." They all asked in their mid-teens.
Girly, can I be your adoptive online son? I have a good father, and a sea daddy, but never had a cross-dressing, sumo, atheist daddy. Tongue

Of course you can, my son. There's plenty of room under the fundoshi for all. (Mainly 'cause there ain't much of anything else there.)

30-01-2013, 07:17 PM
(30-01-2013 07:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-01-2013 06:50 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Girly, can I be your adoptive online son? I have a good father, and a sea daddy, but never had a cross-dressing, sumo, atheist daddy. Tongue

Of course you can, my son. There's plenty of room under the fundoshi for all. (Mainly 'cause there ain't much of anything else there.)
I am delighted, offended, and feel sorry for you all in response to a single sentence. Only you... Laughat

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post