North Carolina, ban on gay marriage.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2012, 08:51 AM
RE: North Carolina, ban on gay marriage.
(09-05-2012 03:00 PM)kim Wrote:  Here's what it looked like for North Carolina in 1875.
Notice how they didn't just want to dick around with just the guy standing in front of them... descent to the third generation inclusive, are hereby forever prohibited.

Evil runs deep in the South.
Kim - Thanks for posting that image! I used it in my latest blog. Very timely and helpful!

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2012/05/...k-not.html

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Seasbury's post
11-05-2012, 03:21 PM
There is too much talk about this whole gay issue going on. The more often people hear stuff, the more they think about it, and the more they believe it.

Now every other kid you talk to thinks they might be gay.
Its getting out of hand.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Diablo's post
11-05-2012, 04:20 PM
(11-05-2012 03:21 PM)Diablo Wrote:  There is too much talk about this whole gay issue going on. The more often people hear stuff, the more they think about it, and the more they believe it.

Its getting out of hand.
I think you're exaggerating a bit.

Gay is not an issue, it's only an issue in the mind of bigots.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
11-05-2012, 05:23 PM
(11-05-2012 03:21 PM)Diablo Wrote:  There is too much talk about this whole gay issue going on. The more often people hear stuff, the more they think about it, and the more they believe it.

Its getting out of hand.
Only two or three per hundred people I know think they are gay.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
12-05-2012, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2012 10:38 AM by BlahBlokesBraBroke.)
actually, I am against homosexual marriage - because I don't like US government, because they always been hypocrite pointing fingers at other countries, saying stuff like they violate human right and lack of equality, and I usually argues back with the lack of human right in US to counter their finger pointing, once they sort out their human right issue, I wont able to retaliate...

Well. I am just like Christian - I dont care about equality and human right -

(12-05-2012 10:37 AM)BlahBlokesBraBroke Wrote:  actually, I am against homosexual marriage - because I don't like US government, because they always been hypocrite pointing fingers at other countries, saying stuff like they violate human right and lack of equality, and I usually argues back with the lack of human right in US to counter their finger pointing, once they sort out their human right issue, I wont able to retaliate...

PS - I am an big asshole
12-05-2012, 01:03 PM
(11-05-2012 08:51 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  Kim - Thanks for posting that image! I used it in my latest blog. Very timely and helpful!

It's a good blog, Seasbury. Your made your point very well.

Opponents of gay marriage point out the differences between them and opponents of interracial marriage, but what they don't seem to realize is that the arguments against interracial marriage were not "we're against blacks and their civil rights". There were even religious arguments posed against it, such as the famous one by Pat Robertson's dad (and still argued by his son) that white people were not to mix with the "children of Ham", implying that blacks are cursed by God because of their alleged early ancestor.

It's not about what God wants. This becomes even clearer when we're talking about gays in the military, and the arguments stop being against the "Christian institution of the US military" and "God said that gays can't serve", and instead takes on other arguments such as "rape will become a serious issue with gays allowed". Do the people arguing against gay rights in both instances even realize that they're arguing against the rights of gays whether or not the bible is involved? Are they even aware that their feelings towards gays are the true driving factor, and their justifications are just rationalizations of those feelings?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
12-05-2012, 02:16 PM
(12-05-2012 01:03 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(11-05-2012 08:51 AM)Seasbury Wrote:  Kim - Thanks for posting that image! I used it in my latest blog. Very timely and helpful!

It's a good blog, Seasbury. Your made your point very well.

Opponents of gay marriage point out the differences between them and opponents of interracial marriage, but what they don't seem to realize is that the arguments against interracial marriage were not "we're against blacks and their civil rights". There were even religious arguments posed against it, such as the famous one by Pat Robertson's dad (and still argued by his son) that white people were not to mix with the "children of Ham", implying that blacks are cursed by God because of their alleged early ancestor.

It's not about what God wants. This becomes even clearer when we're talking about gays in the military, and the arguments stop being against the "Christian institution of the US military" and "God said that gays can't serve", and instead takes on other arguments such as "rape will become a serious issue with gays allowed". Do the people arguing against gay rights in both instances even realize that they're arguing against the rights of gays whether or not the bible is involved? Are they even aware that their feelings towards gays are the true driving factor, and their justifications are just rationalizations of those feelings?
Thanks Starcrash! For me, I cannot see a difference between interracial marriage and same sex marriage. From a pure rights standpoint, they are one and the same. Similarly, both face(d) opposition by Christians claiming "god's will."

I had to follow up on the Christian opposition:

http://centersolid.blogspot.com/2012/05/...is-it.html

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
12-05-2012, 02:30 PM
You're welcome - I'm very pleased to contribute to such a well written blog! Smile

I might throw it up on a few select facebook pages.
I know a few homophobe Theists... who's heads I wouldn't mind seeing explode. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
12-05-2012, 09:09 PM
(12-05-2012 10:37 AM)BlahBlokesBraBroke Wrote:  actually, I am against homosexual marriage - because I don't like US government, because they always been hypocrite pointing fingers at other countries, saying stuff like they violate human right and lack of equality, and I usually argues back with the lack of human right in US to counter their finger pointing, once they sort out their human right issue, I wont able to retaliate...

PS - I am an big asshole
I read your post like 4 times to try to understand what you were saying.
So correct me if I am wrong. You're saying that you are against gay marriage because if all the US allowed it it would mean equal human rights and that would mean the US government isn't being hypocritical and hence you wouldn't be able to point the finger back at them?

Umm... Fair enough I suppose. Kinda selfish that you want like 10% of the population to lack something so personal and expressive as marriage just so you can call your government hypocritical... but whatever some people are just retarded what ya gonna do.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
13-05-2012, 03:20 AM
To clarify, gay marriage was already illegal in North Carolina. This amendment is intended to bolster the position, and its text reads as follows:
"Marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State. This section does not prohibit a private party from entering into contracts with another private party; nor does this section prohibit courts from adjudicating the rights of private parties pursuant to such contracts."
The question in the ballot was:
"Constitutional amendment to provide that marriage between one man and one woman is the only domestic legal union that shall be valid or recognized in this State." source
It doesn't necessarily change the status of same-sex relations, but does potentially make it more difficult to change this status later. Perhaps more significantly it may have immediate negative implications on other forms of unions, such as de facto relationships.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post