North Carolina wants state religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2013, 08:16 PM
RE: North Carolina wants state religion
(03-04-2013 07:59 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 07:52 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  Well since we're splitting hairs... the abused wife does have a choice. The slave and, the abused child, have none. And if you consider suicide a choice, I've no interest in continuing this conversation.

I'll grant you the abused child has no real option. Without a time and place for the slavery (it varied by era and location) it is too nebulose to argue. If your reffering to American style slavery then they had the option to run, as a large number did.

Well again, what you're calling choices is a stretch. I do not accept that risking one's life in opposition to being abused is anything even remotely akin to choice.

Choice is voluntary. . i.e., we must have the choice to not choose in order to actually have a choice. If the slave cannot choose not to be a slave, he has no choice. In your hypothesis, the run away slave is still a slave and thus, did not have a choice.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2013, 08:19 PM
(03-04-2013 08:11 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 06:04 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  This is how anarcho capitalists solve problems:

http://www.businesscoaching.com/wp-conte...iation.jpg

This is how statists solve problems:

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocu...018985.jpg

I like this one better Smile

[Image: want-govt.jpg]

I like that one as well. It's like gun control. There are actually not any anti gun people. There are only those who want everyone to have the right to own a gun and those who only want the state to own guns. And frankly, all the lot want the state pointing its guns at someone.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
03-04-2013, 08:34 PM
RE: The Bill O'Reilly video. The GOP has realized that they have lost on this issue. The backpedaling is slowly beginning. Just wait until you see the screaming that will come from the religious loons on the right when they realize the very party they thought they had bought and paid for has turned on them. /popcorn
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Superluminal's post
03-04-2013, 08:45 PM
(03-04-2013 08:16 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 07:59 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I'll grant you the abused child has no real option. Without a time and place for the slavery (it varied by era and location) it is too nebulose to argue. If your reffering to American style slavery then they had the option to run, as a large number did.

Well again, what you're calling choices is a stretch. I do not accept that risking one's life in opposition to being abused is anything even remotely akin to choice.

Choice is voluntary. . i.e., we must have the choice to not choose in order to actually have a choice. If the slave cannot choose not to be a slave, he has no choice. In your hypothesis, the run away slave is still a slave and thus, did not have a choice.

This tangent is going to go nowhere. In extremis no idea looks great however the same state that once outlawed that runaway slave did, after a very long and hard struggle, eventualy do away with the institution. Is it sad that some things only come about at the point of a gun, yes. Is it the way of the world , yes. As of yet I have never seen a better system than Democratic republic. So I choose to improve my country through the exsisting system.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
03-04-2013, 09:23 PM
(03-04-2013 08:11 PM)BryanS Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 06:04 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  This is how anarcho capitalists solve problems:

[Image: win_win_negotiation.jpg]

This is how statists solve problems:

[Image: o22_14018985.jpg]

I like this one better Smile

I am adding the following image for entertaining purposes.

And I think the following company is going to laugh their asses off if there is no government, simply because it is good umbrella businessesBig Grin:

[Image: UmbrellaCorporation.png]

Want something? Then do something.
03-04-2013, 09:35 PM
(03-04-2013 09:23 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 08:11 PM)BryanS Wrote:  I like this one better Smile

I am adding the following image for entertaining purposes.

And I think the following company is going to laugh their asses off if there is no government, simply because it is good umbrella businessesBig Grin:

I don't think they'd be laughing if their jack boots were taken from them. Wink
03-04-2013, 09:36 PM
(03-04-2013 09:35 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 09:23 PM)HU.Junyuan Wrote:  I am adding the following image for entertaining purposes.

I don't think they'd be laughing if their jack boots were taken from them. Wink

By whom? Thats my problem with your idea. Who is the shield against tyranny?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense

03-04-2013, 09:42 PM
State law can't conflict with federal law. The fed always wins.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

03-04-2013, 09:45 PM
(03-04-2013 09:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 09:35 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I don't think they'd be laughing if their jack boots were taken from them. Wink

By whom? Thats my problem with your idea. Who is the shield against tyranny?

What does it matter by whom? If the owners of corporations no longer had the state to point guns at people for them, they'd not be happy.

And that's a great question.... who indeed is the shield against tyranny? Whoever it is, they're not doing a very good job right about now. Undecided

03-04-2013, 09:55 PM
(03-04-2013 09:45 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 09:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  By whom? Thats my problem with your idea. Who is the shield against tyranny?

What does it matter by whom? If the owners of corporations no longer had the state to point guns at people for them, they'd not be happy.

And that's a great question.... who indeed is the shield against tyranny? Whoever it is, they're not doing a very good job right about now. Undecided

I agree with that. As it stands right now the ultimate shield against tyranny is the participation of the people represented. If more people actualy bothered to get involved on any level (even just voting) I think things would be markedly different.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is the Russian state using Russian religion? The Germans are coming 5 100 07-08-2014 11:30 PM
Last Post: PoolBoyG
  Separation of church and state in your country Tatuks 11 261 30-06-2014 02:57 AM
Last Post: Luminon
  SSM Now coming to a state near you Revenant77x 4 105 06-06-2014 09:44 PM
Last Post: Smercury44
  Louisiana to Make Bible Official State Book?! The Germans are coming 9 187 22-04-2014 07:24 AM
Last Post: wazzel
  Laughtable North Korean Drones The Germans are coming 22 494 04-04-2014 01:51 PM
Last Post: War Horse
  When will the GOP stop mixing politics in religion Aleprauchanist 15 254 31-03-2014 10:44 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  The State of the Union speech tonight ... Chas 35 708 12-02-2014 05:06 PM
Last Post: Alla