North Carolina wants state religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2013, 11:00 AM
RE: North Carolina wants state religion
(04-04-2013 06:31 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  In Australia voting is mandatory and no-one is disqualified. Polling is on a Saturday and prisons and hospitals are visited by mobile voting booths. In the US polling is done during the working week, people with a criminal record are excluded in many states, and voting is not compulsory.

[Image: dictated-lives.jpg]

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2013, 11:23 AM
(04-04-2013 11:00 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(04-04-2013 06:31 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  In Australia voting is mandatory and no-one is disqualified. Polling is on a Saturday and prisons and hospitals are visited by mobile voting booths. In the US polling is done during the working week, people with a criminal record are excluded in many states, and voting is not compulsory.

[Image: dictated-lives.jpg]
(04-04-2013 07:56 AM)Chas Wrote:  Ooooh, mandatory voting: the very definition of freedom.
Not.

What's with all the freedom talk... Who said anything about freedom in that system? What puts the concept of freedom in high demand?

"Love is hot, Truth is molten!"
Find all posts by this user
04-04-2013, 12:09 PM
(04-04-2013 11:23 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  What puts the concept of freedom in high demand?

Human nature.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Anyone who examines the history and accomplishments of the United States and concludes that freedom is either unimportant, or undesirable, is an utter fool. Freedom is more important to us that anything else, including safety. There is a reason we want the freedom to defend ourselves with a gun, more than we want the absolute assurance that no one will ever try to shoot us with one. We want freedom. Everything else can go to hell.

I suppose it is a form of ugly irony that the United States also suffers from the worst form of totalitarian dictatorship, religion. Christianity pervades the US, and goes as far as to influence public policy regularly. It is not enough for these would be theocratic fascists that they freely practice religion, they will not rest until I do so as well. Religious Americans, boil my blood more than any other type, because they have it all, wealth, freedom, relative safety, and fabulous opportunity to be happy, and they throw it all away to jesus, by choice. How contemptible.

Religion, rather than acting as a symbol of truth or justice, merely acts as a symbol of human gullibility and stupidity. Surely no race of beings with any real intelligence would concoct such drivel.
[+] 2 users Like Prometheus762's post
04-04-2013, 04:52 PM
(03-04-2013 10:02 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 09:55 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I agree with that. As it stands right now the ultimate shield against tyranny is the participation of the people represented. If more people actualy bothered to get involved on any level (even just voting) I think things would be markedly different.

If every eligible voter in the US had been willing to vote in the last Presidential election, would that have changed the available choices?

Would that make voters eligible to vote for or against legislation in the congress?

Perhaps many others found themselves in the same position as I did on election day, in having to make a choice between two turds. The only way I was able to satisfy my sense of integrity, was to go home and abstain.

Religion, rather than acting as a symbol of truth or justice, merely acts as a symbol of human gullibility and stupidity. Surely no race of beings with any real intelligence would concoct such drivel.
04-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Re: RE: North Carolina wants state religion
(04-04-2013 04:48 PM)Prometheus762 Wrote:  Anyone who examines the history and accomplishments of the United States and concludes that freedom is either unimportant, or undesirable, is an utter fool. Freedom is more important to us that anything else, including safety. There is a reason we want the freedom to defend ourselves with a gun, more than we want the absolute assurance that no one will ever try to shoot us with one. We want freedom. Everything else can go to hell.

I suppose it is a form of ugly irony that the United States also suffers from the worst form of totalitarian dictatorship, religion. Christianity pervades the US, and goes as far as to influence public policy regularly. It is not enough for these would be theocratic fascists that they freely practice religion, they will not rest until I do so as well. Religious Americans, boil my blood more than any other type, because they have it all, wealth, freedom, relative safety, and fabulous opportunity to be happy, and they throw it all away to jesus, by choice. How contemptible.

Concluding based on the past.. You're right. Examining why ideas are simply accepted is worthwhile.

Freedom can simply come from within. One could be imprisoned and feel more free than in space. Freedom has different forms.

Becauseecause it's in our nature it tradition seems like a strange reason to hold a concept with high esteem. Isn't being more successful than before on an equal footing?
05-04-2013, 11:05 PM
(03-04-2013 08:36 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 08:28 AM)Wolf Bird Wrote:  http://www.salon.com/2013/04/03/north_ca..._religion/

It's getting harder for me to convince myself the GOP doesn't want a theocracy.

Heh I was just about to start a thread about this. So these politicians are either retarded or so 2-faced as to be damn near inhuman. If they think for 1 second this law would ever be enacted they are batshit crazy (not putting it past the party of Michelle Bachman) it would be challanged and overturned in any court and every court for as long as they feel like wasting taxpayer money to pursue it. Now if its just a hallow cynical ploy to apease a base that's almost as bad.

It will be a tremendous waste of taxpayer money, but I think they know that. I suspect this is all just ugly political theater. They want to put on a good show for conservative Christian voters.
[+] 1 user Likes cbb2274's post
05-04-2013, 11:07 PM
(05-04-2013 11:05 PM)cbb2274 Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 08:36 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Heh I was just about to start a thread about this. So these politicians are either retarded or so 2-faced as to be damn near inhuman. If they think for 1 second this law would ever be enacted they are batshit crazy (not putting it past the party of Michelle Bachman) it would be challanged and overturned in any court and every court for as long as they feel like wasting taxpayer money to pursue it. Now if its just a hallow cynical ploy to apease a base that's almost as bad.

It will be a tremendous waste of taxpayer money, but I think they know that. I suspect this is all just ugly political theater. They want to put on a good show for conservative Christian voters.

Whoops. Nevermind. The speaker killed the bill. Yup, definitely theater.