North Dakota Waterpark Fun

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2016, 07:27 AM
RE: North Dakota Waterpark Fun
(25-11-2016 03:38 AM)yakherder Wrote:  ...
In the often referenced trolley problem, a leader of hundreds of millions of people whose decisions go much father than even that has to be the type of person who can divert the trolley, save the 5, and kill the 1.

Except in this case, the 5 is Wall Street and the 1 is the people.

Tough choice.

Drinking Beverage

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2016, 08:14 AM
(25-11-2016 07:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(25-11-2016 03:38 AM)yakherder Wrote:  ...
In the often referenced trolley problem, a leader of hundreds of millions of people whose decisions go much father than even that has to be the type of person who can divert the trolley, save the 5, and kill the 1.

Except in this case, the 5 is Wall Street and the 1 is the people.

Tough choice.

Drinking Beverage

That's an extreme oversimplification.

'Murican Canadian
26-11-2016, 04:25 AM
(25-11-2016 03:38 AM)yakherder Wrote:  
(25-11-2016 03:14 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Well that clears that issue up. He isn't commenting or making a stand in either direction because he understands the bigger picture...

He is commenting. His stance thus far is that he's trying to find a workable solution for both parties. He's not unsympathetic towards the protesters, but he also realizes that simply putting a halt to the operation would have both local and far reaching legal ramifications and he's not about to make such a short sighted decision. He doesn't have the luxury of making such a call in a world that is so absolutely dependent on the efficient flow of scarce resources.

I see. Here's my criticism/rebuttal: Last I heard his public statement was something to the effect of "Give them some time and they'll work it out", why I'd say is equivalent to "I'm not about to stick my neck out there to take a side. Are you fucking nuts!?". I think a sensible solution would be to the Justice Department look at the claims to the land, and see who has the rights to the land, and to ensure that the pipeline is in keeping to the applicable laws and regulations. Am I missing something?

04-12-2016, 04:00 PM
So the injuns finally won one. Shame it took the cowboys coming to the rescue to make it happen.

#sigh
04-12-2016, 04:11 PM
(04-12-2016 04:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Shame it took the cowboys coming to the rescue to make it happen.

Battles are won through application of leverage, not by being right Big Grin

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
04-12-2016, 05:38 PM
Yay!

Quote:The Army Corps of Engineers on Sunday denied permission for the Dakota Access pipeline to cross under a section of the Missouri River, handing at least a temporary victory to the Standing Rock Sioux tribe and its supporters.
The decision came after months of protests by thousands of self-proclaimed “water protectors,” bolstered this week by the arrival of more than 2,000 U.S. military veterans, who have opposed the pipeline out of concern that it could rupture and contaminate the river, which they say provides drinking water to the tribe and 17 million other Americans

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-dako...story.html

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-12-2016, 06:40 PM
(04-12-2016 05:38 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yay!

Quote:The Army Corps of Engineers on Sunday denied permission for the Dakota Access pipeline to cross under a section of the Missouri River, handing at least a temporary victory to the Standing Rock Sioux tribe and its supporters.
The decision came after months of protests by thousands of self-proclaimed “water protectors,” bolstered this week by the arrival of more than 2,000 U.S. military veterans, who have opposed the pipeline out of concern that it could rupture and contaminate the river, which they say provides drinking water to the tribe and 17 million other Americans

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-dako...story.html

Nice to have a little good news for a change

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
04-12-2016, 08:50 PM
Oh very good.
At least until Jan 20 when Trump reverses the decision and we end up back at square one with peaceful protestors being abused against their human rights because big oil throws some dollars around.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
05-12-2016, 12:27 AM
(04-12-2016 08:50 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh very good.
At least until Jan 20 when Trump reverses the decision and we end up back at square one with peaceful protestors being abused against their human rights because big oil throws some dollars around.

I believe the permits for the project expire this month.

I have to say i was kinda apathetic about it until I heard it was originally supposed to go close to the state capitol of Bismarck and was moved from there because of water contamination fears.

That just smacked of all kinds of bullshit.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-12-2016, 05:53 PM
(05-12-2016 12:27 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 08:50 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Oh very good.

I believe the permits for the project expire this month.

I have to say i was kinda apathetic about it until I heard it was originally supposed to go close to the state capitol of Bismarck and was moved from there because of water contamination fears.

That just smacked of all kinds of bullshit.

It was suppose to go near Bismarck but the townsfolk submitted their objections and so it was changed to standing rock. The issue is that the Indians didn't submit their objections on time and so that's why the pipeline was going to happen to begin with.

Though it's coming to light now that the oil company intentionally withheld environmental studies among other information from the tribe. Plus, knowing the way you guys treat your natives over their I think it's safe to assume they likely would have ignored the tribes submission anyway. But that's pure speculation of course.

And also to be fair, should they been left with life times worth of contaminated water because someone missed a deadline?

[Image: oscar.png]