North Korea

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2013, 05:55 PM
North Korea
What we have here is a paranoid nuclear power lead by a kid in his 20s threatening to restart a war that ended 60 years ago, rapidly developing the capability to strike the U.S. with nukes. If that happens the U.S. and the U.N. will strike back at North Korea with nukes, then nuclear powers China and Russia strike. Bottom line, a full nuclear exchange that we have feared since 1945 started by a second rate country.

This kind of domino effect started World War One.

Why is the U.S. government not making this its number one priority? The budget, gun control, whatever, is pointless if we get nuked.

Why isn't this the number one news story in the world?

I'm really fucking scared.

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2013, 06:07 PM
RE: North Korea
Honestly, I'm really not too worried.

For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside,
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive -- Badlands; Bruce Springsteen

27-03-2013, 06:10 PM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2013 06:15 PM by earmuffs.)
Russia and China wouldn't side with NK if bombs started flying.

WW1 was possible because there was high political tension. Germany for example wanted to stick it to France for years. The fact that what's his face was shot has nothing to do with starting WW1, Austria would have found any excuse to invade Serbia.
There's no political tension like that today.

And I'm sure NK threatening to start a nuclear war with the US IS the US's top priority, but what are they going to do? Tell everyone that NK is going to nuke America? They'd cause an unnecessary panic, not to mention it's not a Republican v democratic thing so there's really no need to bring it up in the public lime light anyway.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
28-03-2013, 12:16 AM
(27-03-2013 06:10 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Russia and China wouldn't side with NK if bombs started flying.

Agreed.

We Chinese netizens always call us Chinese harmless little white rabbits.

We love peace.

Want something? Then do something.
28-03-2013, 12:52 AM
(27-03-2013 05:55 PM)f stop Wrote:  What we have here is a paranoid nuclear power lead by a kid in his 20s threatening to restart a war that ended 60 years ago, rapidly developing the capability to strike the U.S. with nukes. If that happens the U.S. and the U.N. will strike back at North Korea with nukes, then nuclear powers China and Russia strike. Bottom line, a full nuclear exchange that we have feared since 1945 started by a second rate country.

This kind of domino effect started World War One.

Why is the U.S. government not making this its number one priority? The budget, gun control, whatever, is pointless if we get nuked.

Why isn't this the number one news story in the world?

I'm really fucking scared.

That is a pretty unrealistic scenario, for reasons previously explained by Muffs.

For North Korea to even start something (aside from playing the part of a toothless chiwawa trying to act as a vicious, mad bulldog), it would require the advisors of the new Dear Leader and and the DL himself to be not only paranoid, but stupid and incompetent on scales surpassing Tsar Nicholas the 2nd and his Ministers (Excluding Segei Witte and Pyotr Stoyipn, who were the last competent ministers of Nicholas' reign). Unless they do manage feats of stupidity and incompetence surpassing ol' Nicky's Minis, they would surely see they'd have no hope in an armed or economic conflict. Especially with their only friend, China, getting embarrassed and walking away from them.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
28-03-2013, 04:11 AM
The leader of North Korea is just a small pile of shit,flexing his fat.

I don't think the powerful leaders of the world consider him worth taking that seriously.
28-03-2013, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2013 02:49 PM by Julius.)
The probability of North Korea starting a war is probably on the order of 0.0001%.

Here's why.

A few years ago I was talking to an old uncle of mine who had fought in the Korean War - on the front lines. As the conversation went along, I eventually asked him about the motivation and effectiveness of the North Korean Troops. My uncle said "He didn't know, for he never fought any Koreans".

I said, "What? We are talking about the Korean War, right?"

And my uncle responded, "Yes, but I never fought, or even saw, any North Koreans...just Chinese." He said, "What, didn't they teach you that in school?"

Obviously, I missed this fact. In fact, the Korean War wasn't really about figthing North Korea - it was about fighting China and that's why the war was so bloody, and that's why both sides were so willing to stop fighting.

North Korea is militarily helpless without China, and China does not choose to fight any wars North Korea starts. So any politician that tells you North Korea is a threat is a God Damned Liar who is just beating war drums for fun and profit.

On its own, North Korea will never - not ever - attack the South or anyone else other than just a few token shots. North Korea can not fight a war without help.

Furthermore, an military excercices that the US conducts in North Korea are stupid and pointless - and so is keeping troops in South Korea. South Korea is far stronger than North Korea and so they can protect themselves from the North. Also, lets say China chose to help North Korea...what could we really do other than either stand by and do nothing, or join in the fighting and get our asses whipped? The China of today is infinetly stronger than the China of 60 years ago that drove our forces out of most of North Korea. (Yes folks, America suffered a serious beat-down at the hands of the Chinese). http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/macarthur/m...eatxt.html

So...please beware of the propaganda surrounding North Korea...and ignore all the stupid-ass war talk. Peace is the only viable alternative.

BTW, here's a Wikipedia link that show China contributed over 80% of the troop strength to North Korea during the war:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_War
28-03-2013, 09:56 PM
NK might have needed the Chinese help in the Korean War (the actual Korean War), but they certainly have the capability today considering they have the largest standing army in the world and are/if not already a nuclear power.

In saying that, the US is still better then them and has more friends and nukes so...

I'm just saying, NK army might be technologically outdated (I dunno, I'm just assuming it is considering everything else in the country is) but it certainly has the manpower and the radical national fantatic-ness that makes the Japanese during WW2 look like a bunch of something that is opposite to radical nationalism (my metaphors are lacking today, so sue me).

Quote:We love peace.

Nooo you don't.

28-03-2013, 10:41 PM
(28-03-2013 09:56 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  NK might have needed the Chinese help in the Korean War (the actual Korean War), but they certainly have the capability today considering they have the largest standing army in the world and are/if not already a nuclear power.

In saying that, the US is still better then them and has more friends and nukes so...

O.K. the US can whip North Korea, and do it pretty hefty.

No...North Korea does not have the largest standing Army in the world and relative to its wealth, the numbers of additional men in the North Korean Army pale in comparison to what the South Koreans can project:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cou..._of_troops

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Peop...pabilities

So...South Korea can whip the North Korean army too.

(28-03-2013 09:56 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm just saying, NK army might be technologically outdated (I dunno, I'm just assuming it is considering everything else in the country is) but it certainly has the manpower and the radical national fantatic-ness that makes the Japanese during WW2 look like a bunch of something that is opposite to radical nationalism (my metaphors are lacking today, so sue me).

Fanaticism? So what? If you can't even feed people, then what does it matter? I mean, dead and starving men make poor Fanatics - or so I fugure.

Hey...just my 2 cents.
29-03-2013, 02:39 AM
(28-03-2013 10:41 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(28-03-2013 09:56 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  NK might have needed the Chinese help in the Korean War (the actual Korean War), but they certainly have the capability today considering they have the largest standing army in the world and are/if not already a nuclear power.

O.K. the US can whip North Korea, and do it pretty hefty.

No...North Korea does not have the largest standing Army in the world and relative to its wealth, the numbers of additional men in the North Korean Army pale in comparison to what the South Koreans can project:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cou..._of_troops

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Peop...pabilities

So...South Korea can whip the North Korean army too.

(28-03-2013 09:56 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm just saying, NK army might be technologically outdated (I dunno, I'm just assuming it is considering everything else in the country is) but it certainly has the manpower and the radical national fantatic-ness that makes the Japanese during WW2 look like a bunch of something that is opposite to radical nationalism (my metaphors are lacking today, so sue me).

Fanaticism? So what? If you can't even feed people, then what does it matter? I mean, dead and starving men make poor Fanatics - or so I fugure.

Hey...just my 2 cents.

Huh, I thought they did.
Maybe they did when I read that they did and now they don't (it was a long time ago).
Still, look at total, NK has 8.5million on reserve. And they have the highest per1000 ration of active military members (as well as total).

And don't under estimate the power fanaticism. Those NK's are spoon feed propaganda for breakfast and have no outside (of the country) interaction. They are well and truly "we love the leader" zombified.

Plus, a nuclear weapon is a nuclear weapon.

I'm not saying NK would win, or even that they have a chance of winning, I'm saying that you shouldn't shrug them off so easily.
Look at the war on terror, that was suppose to be a war against a bunch of people living in caves in the hills...
Look at Vietnam, you lost that even though you had military superiority.

And I don't think America, or any other western country, would simply just drop several bombs on NK (though I think even if they did they still wouldn't surrender) as the death toll would be frowned upon (look at the controversy over the two bombs at the end of WW2, and those nukes sucked balls compared to the ones they have now).

I agree with your idea that NK wouldn't dare in a million years attack, because they would eventually lose, BUT I wouldn't rule it out as an absolutely certainty that they wouldn't. They're really fucking delusional over there.