Northern white rhino dies.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2015, 02:36 PM
Northern white rhino dies.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/nort...on=science

Quote:The northern white rhinoceros, one of the world's most critically endangered species, inched a step closer to total extinction after one died in a Czech zoo on Monday, leaving just four of the highly hunted animals left on earth.

This is really sad. I knew there wasn't very many of them, but I had no idea there were this few of them left. I would had guessed a couple dozen or a hundred or so.

I wonder what plans they have on restoring the species before its too late, but I have to wonder. Don't you need at least 12 pairs of a species to prevent imbreeding them into oblivion?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2015, 02:42 PM
RE: Northern white rhino dies.
It is my understanding that there are no plans to save the species. All the surviving animals are probably too old to breed. The virus that is us will soon claim another victim.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
30-07-2015, 11:55 PM
Fuck the Chinese. They are single handedly responsible for the decline in rino numbers. Not just white rino but rino in general. And elephants.
03-08-2015, 01:27 PM
There aren't enough individuals left for enough genetic diversity to save that subspecies. I was thinking they could breed them with the southern white rhinos (which are not endangered) and keep some of the unique genetic traits, but if they are too old to breed that really is too bad.