Northshore Freethinkers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2012, 04:12 PM
RE: Northshore Freethinkers
(28-06-2012 10:07 AM)DannyW Wrote:  Appreciate the compassion (and sales pitch), KC, but I'm thinking I'll pass. Smile Half of my family is catholic, the other half baptist.
Our joke is that the catholics drink alcohol in church, the baptists drink it everywhere else. Wink
Why do you take two Baptists with you fishing?
Because if you took just one he would drink all your beer. Laughat

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
07-07-2012, 04:14 PM
RE: Northshore Freethinkers - Update
(07-07-2012 10:03 AM)DannyW Wrote:  We've got about a dozen people so far, and growing. Our first meet up is tomorrow for lunch at Copeland's on Hwy 190 in Covington, 11:30am.

Anyone else who wants to drop in, we'll find room for you!!!

-Danny
Make sure they are not the local Klan. Could be a short lunch.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
08-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Seems that I've gotten some of the best response from the Craigslist ads I've been running in the "Community" section. I re-run it once or twice a week, and over the couple of weeks I've been trying to organize this, I've gotten about half a dozen responses. I'm encouraged.

And as for the Klan showing up - one good reason to pick a public restaurant for the first meeting place. That way, I don't have to bring backup firepower. Wink
12-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Just an update - we had our first meetup, and it was a great success. There was a great bunch of people in attendance, and we had a wonderful time. A healthy cross-section of personalities was represented, and the conversation was quite lively and fun. Everyone seems enthusiastic about the next meetup - it is shaping up to be a picnic/bbq at a member's farm. Looking for more members for this fun new group!
12-07-2012, 04:07 PM
(12-07-2012 03:51 PM)DannyW Wrote:  Just an update - we had our first meetup, and it was a great success. There was a great bunch of people in attendance, and we had a wonderful time. A healthy cross-section of personalities was represented, and the conversation was quite lively and fun. Everyone seems enthusiastic about the next meetup - it is shaping up to be a picnic/bbq at a member's farm. Looking for more members for this fun new group!
Excellent! I wish you continuing success.
Please share things you learn along the way; helpful dos and don'ts for others starting a group.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-07-2012, 12:19 PM
(08-07-2012 08:03 AM)DannyW Wrote:  Seems that I've gotten some of the best response from the Craigslist ads I've been running in the "Community" section. I re-run it once or twice a week, and over the couple of weeks I've been trying to organize this, I've gotten about half a dozen responses. I'm encouraged.

And as for the Klan showing up - one good reason to pick a public restaurant for the first meeting place. That way, I don't have to bring backup firepower. Wink

Dude, you're not in Livingston Parish.

Big Grin

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
15-07-2012, 11:22 AM
Will do, Chas. So far, so good...
28-09-2016, 07:13 PM
Its unfortunate that this group seems to have ended shortly after it tried to get started. I certainly would appreciate such a group where like minded individuals could come together and discuss things that matter without religion as a pretext. The Northshore is an extremely conservative place to try and do anything with a secular context in mind. I fear that those of us without a belief in god find ourselves in a very small minority.
29-09-2016, 08:47 PM
...4 years later...

Dodgy

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
30-09-2016, 04:18 AM
(28-09-2016 07:13 PM)JGT Wrote:  Its unfortunate that this group seems to have ended shortly after it tried to get started. I certainly would appreciate such a group where like minded individuals could come together and discuss things that matter without religion as a pretext. The Northshore is an extremely conservative place to try and do anything with a secular context in mind. I fear that those of us without a belief in god find ourselves in a very small minority.

Try just talking right here on the forum. You can have some great, meaningful conversations and get insightful feedback even though they're taking place through text and not in person.