Nostalgia.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2013, 09:33 PM
RE: Nostalgia.
(02-02-2013 03:26 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  My nostalgia:

I was genuinely sad when he passed away. I remember feeling like the world lost something that day. Watching his shows helped me discover creative process, something important in my world.

Happy quiet trees.
I remember that guy! I really liked watching him do his stuff. Thank you for posting!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2013, 10:06 PM
(02-02-2013 08:44 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't know if nostalgia is quite the appropriate term or not, but I can remember being deployed in Afghanistan...shit hole of a country. After many months of being gone I was on a mission that dictated I go to ISAF-HQ...where the highest ranking military officer of Afghanistan resides....very nice, you know, for Afghanistan. While there I was walking about and happened upon a park...they had a park! I was strolling along after dropping off some gear when I got close to the small park and I stopped dead in my tracks, marveled a moment and said aloud "That is a nice lawn." I immediately realized that I had never uttered those words strung together in my entire life. I then thought to myself "It's the funny things you miss. Who would have ever thought I would have opined a bit of grass." And it brought a smile to my face, and I was happy for a moment. For that fleeting moment I felt as if a piece of me was home.

Which reminds me of old war movies and westerns....

Based on Hollywood evidence, surely that behaviour is fatal, isn't it?

Role: Minor character; rookie
Purpose: Pathos; to demonstrate the futility of war; allows the lead character to demonstrate some care and support and softness / humanity
Back story: Has found love; carries picture of girl; stares at it occasionally
Dialogue: Misses home; relates a horrifying moment / not entirely blameless
Death: Loses concentration when succumbing to a moment of nostalgia... [sound of sniper bullet through air]. The movie's hero arrives a moment too late.

Audience weeps!

Fade to black.

03-02-2013, 10:10 PM
(02-02-2013 08:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, nostalgia ain't what it used to be. Drinking Beverage
No
That made me nostalgic for old jokes.
Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
03-02-2013, 10:24 PM
(03-02-2013 10:06 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-02-2013 08:44 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  I don't know if nostalgia is quite the appropriate term or not, but I can remember being deployed in Afghanistan...shit hole of a country. After many months of being gone I was on a mission that dictated I go to ISAF-HQ...where the highest ranking military officer of Afghanistan resides....very nice, you know, for Afghanistan. While there I was walking about and happened upon a park...they had a park! I was strolling along after dropping off some gear when I got close to the small park and I stopped dead in my tracks, marveled a moment and said aloud "That is a nice lawn." I immediately realized that I had never uttered those words strung together in my entire life. I then thought to myself "It's the funny things you miss. Who would have ever thought I would have opined a bit of grass." And it brought a smile to my face, and I was happy for a moment. For that fleeting moment I felt as if a piece of me was home.

Which reminds me of old war movies and westerns....

Based on Hollywood evidence, surely that behaviour is fatal, isn't it?

Role: Minor character; rookie
Purpose: Pathos; to demonstrate the futility of war; allows the lead character to demonstrate some care and support and softness / humanity
Back story: Has found love; carries picture of girl; stares at it occasionally
Dialogue: Misses home; relates a horrifying moment / not entirely blameless
Death: Loses concentration when succumbing to a moment of nostalgia... [sound of sniper bullet through air]. The movie's hero arrives a moment too late.

Audience weeps!

Fade to black.
Well, I didn't stop to admire grass while we were under fire or getting mortared...plus I was in one of the safer places over there at the time. Only time it got a bit dangerous there was the direct result of some fucktard Floridian preacher who thought it would be a good statement to burn a Qu'ran. The international media then thought it was news worthy...fucking madness over there. Luckily the you Brits know how to drive in chaos...thought I would die from a "car" wreck, but all was well, made it back in one piece. I'm rambling again...

Anyway, no, I am not Ensign Ricky nor Private Pyle. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
04-02-2013, 07:14 AM
(03-02-2013 10:10 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(02-02-2013 08:47 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, nostalgia ain't what it used to be. Drinking Beverage
No
That made me nostalgic for old jokes.
Drinking Beverage

We gots young 'uns here. It's my calling to teach irony. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2013, 08:18 AM
You know, for some reason, I've always thought this was the musical definition of nostalgia.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
04-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Glad to here your mum is doing well DLJ.

My wife is more the crossword puzzler between the two of us. I do play the "wordfued" app on my phone tho. A scrabble thing.

Thinking about times that I get nostalgic. It usually happens for me at work. I've been trucking a little short of 20 yeas now, and it's odd how some places change and others have been the same all of this time. I've got various packets of memories scattered through out the states and many long forgotten until I happen to retrace a path that I took years before. Like the time my truck crushed and fell into a septic tank in Shorter, Alabama. Or, the time I had dinner at home of an Emu farmer in southern Louisiana. Various trade shows I've worked in Memphis, Atlanta, Miami, Birmingham & New Orleans. Numerous Sundays spent years ago in Terrell Texas waiting for the next days load while sitting in the diner with tough road hardened 'old time' drivers and the even tougher waitresses that had to put up with them. Those little greasy spoon joints that have since been condemned but always had the best food. A certain Tennessee road house on the way to Nashville that featured awe inspiring, struggling unknown music performers playing for tips. That place is gone now too.

I'll never forget being in Rosedale Mississippi when 9-11 occurred. Memories of that moment automatically trigger on the rare occasions I roll through there.

Of course I get most nostalgic when I go to areas of the country where I grew up. In south-central Georgia I once took a detour and drove by the home my grandparents lived in up until I was about 10 years old. It was so much smaller than I remembered it! A spot on route 19/41 where I hit a huge deer and totaled my 1982 VW Rabbit. The small motel off the interstate that was the 'love nest' of two high-school sweethearts that now seems like a completely different life. So, many memory lanes I get to drive down once in a blue moon. Thanks for suggesting this topic.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Grassy Knoll's post
04-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Extremely self-centred, so brace yourself. Ready?

The short/diminutive form of my name that only friends from my childhood call me now. Always warms my heart and brings me back in time.

Also, walking down the street where my elementary/middle school is (which is actually my street, but I almost never go in that direction). The first time I walked down it, years after leaving that school, everything felt so much smaller - houses, trees, the school itself. Sadly, they were still the same, I was the one who'd grown...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post