Not Christian 'enough'

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2016, 09:40 AM
RE: Not Christian 'enough'
It's somehow pleasing to see Christians fighting amongst themselves in cyberspace—just like in the real world LOL.

If we give 'em enough time, they'll destroy Christianity (and most other Christian religions by default) so I'm all for Hatmaker (seriously ?) and Walsh slugging it out. Let the fight continue I say.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2016, 11:26 AM
(30-10-2016 02:36 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(29-10-2016 07:41 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Really this article makes me think of Trey Pearson, he was the lead singer of the massively successful Christian band "Everyday Sunday" and came out of the closet recently; he got booted from one of the biggest name Christian music festivals he was booked for. I've not heard any of his band's music on Christian radio since. Tons of churches stopped using his band's music, etc.

That is Not Christian Enough.

Edit to Add: Seriously, though. Why can't the church figure these things out? LEARN, damnit!!

The prejudices of a hyper-Patriarchal tribal warrior/pastoralist desert society got themselves enshrined in the "things God hates" list, back when people didn't know what we now know about biology, especially epigenetics/genetics and endocrinology/neurology. That included prohibitions against spilling seed for any reason but to breed new warriors as fast as possible (Onanism for masturbation), homosexual (nonprocreative) behaviors, and several very odd notions about how filthy a menstruating woman's body really was... soiled everything, y'know!

It was pure ignorance, and no one takes seriously the stuff where it says a menstruating woman is so filthy that anything she touches is also soiled! For days! Yet we try to preserve the other narrow ways of looking at human sexuality. Even the notion of the strict family unit (so beloved an icon for the Catholic and Protestant sects alike to praise) was not historically a big thing until much later in Christanity-- Paul famously suggests it's not even worth getting married unless one feels one absolutely must! We don't take seriously the prohibitions against tattoos, blended fibers, or a host of of other strange ideas typical of an Iron Age tribal religious society that made their way into various scriptures... but we're really, really certain that a percent of gay (and the rest of a broad spectrum) phenotypic expressions of our sexuality are just as common and natural in humans as it is in most of the social creatures in the animal kingdom in which we observe it.

The Catholic Church managed to learn astrophysics, starting slowly from Copernicus and Galileo, but it got there pretty well. Mostly. The rest of the denominations contain at least some degree of failure to understand--if not outright rejection of--the Big Bang and the development of our planetary and celestial bodies, including Earth... Sol III. But when it comes to ignorance of evolution and failure to let go of non-allegorical meaning for Genesis, it's nearly cross-platform. I've been amazed to hear it coming out of the mouths of Catholics, to whom I must direct the words of the Pope on the subjects. Undecided

Y'all can learn! So learn how humans really work and not how the ancient tribal sheepherders and the reactionary-Hellenized Pharisee cultural ideals of Paul's say we are or should be. Or even how Jewish culture would have seen it in the time of Jesus... it's irrelevant to what we know, now, and are continuing to learn in a fairly-conclusive pattern. Likewise, a good understanding and explanation of why secular government, and not theocracy, is best for the freedom of religion, so atheists stop having to take up the Mantle of Sanity™ and stop people from not realizing the Pandora's Box they open when they try to implement their version of theocratic law in their area/nation. Several churches, to their credit, have begun to accept the modern reality that we have learned there's not a damned thing wrong with being gay, and it's time to let go of Bronze-to-Iron-Age prejudices that have managed to disguise themselves as "sin".
Won't find me disagreeing with that at all. Though had me chuckling at several points (not at your expense), just because it made me think of people in general. I read this, first of all, right after checking Reddit and seeing a guy on r/Catholicism freak out at how "the heretics separated brethren are celebrating" the Reformation today. It's like no, most Protestants/Evangelicals/whatever don't even probably realize there was such a thing as a Protestant Reformation. I'd feel worse about saying that, but just based on how often it seems in American Christianity, at least, there's no sense of history...heh. Except, and to tie it into why I went on this tangent, your points of bronze and iron age tribalism, or Judaism in the time of Jesus. Any time some new non-denominational church pops up, it seems like one of the things I hear from people who attend them is, "We're going back to basics, you need to read Acts from the point of view of a First Century Jew to truly understand why we're right and everyone else is wrong." Well sorry, I can't place myself in the cultural viewpoint of anyone from the first century. There's too vast a divide, even if our basic human drives are still the same.

On pointing Catholics to the Pope, I've noticed a lot of people who hold to things like Creationism, and are Catholic, will argue it fiercely and be like "well the Pope isn't always right, he has to be speaking ex Cathedra". (Both of which times, fun point, were about the role of Mary. And bowing to popular pressure and doctrinalizing widespread folk beliefs as it were.) This is a bit of a sore point for me, because I've actually had a woman on a rather conservative Catholic dating site, say that anyone who "accepts the authority of the anti-Pope Francis" or "doesn't believe in the literal Genesis" wasn't Catholic. Likewise in RCIA, one of the things the priest had to debate the most with some of the folks was the idea that evolution exists, that the universe wasn't created in six days, etc.

Could've sworn there was something else here, but my mom called and talked for 45 minutes about visiting her cousins in Florida and my train of thought did not survive the phone call; sorry if something important was glossed over!

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Shai Hulud's post
30-10-2016, 12:04 PM
@RocketSurgeon

Pope Francis says that evolution require creation. His stance on BB is similar, again creator is required*. So it's not acceptance, just more bullshit.

*http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-declares-evolution-and-big-bang-theory-are-right-and-god-isnt-a-magician-with-a-magic-9822514.html

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post