Not a single contradiction in the Bible...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
30-08-2013, 12:09 PM

RE: Not a single contradiction in the Bible...
They say the Bible has no contradictions. They could be saying anything that supports their worldview, because the choir that they're preaching to certainly won't check if that statement is true. Everything that brings reassurance to faith, gets a free pass.

A ministry is a business like any other, and as such, it needs marketing.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Philosoraptor's post
30-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Aside from the biblical question... If they keep trying to "save" you, just tell them you'd rather go to hell.

That's what I do, the reaction is hilarious.

Hell's got better bands for a start... sure as shit won't be able to buy Rolling Stones tickets in Heaven.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Jesus was either born when Herod the Great was alive prior to 4 BC OR when Publius Sulpicius Quirinius became Governor of Syria, 6 AD. He can not have been born twice.

Xtians will twist their scrotums into pretzels trying to get out of that one.
Find all posts by this user
03-09-2013, 01:06 AM
(30-08-2013 07:57 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Jesus was either born when Herod the Great was alive prior to 4 BC OR when Publius Sulpicius Quirinius became Governor of Syria, 6 AD. He can not have been born twice.

There's a real simple answer for that one.

Jesus is a myth.

Done.Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
03-09-2013, 02:32 AM

In "Case for Christ" they claim that there was another Quirinius (surprise surprise) who was a proconsul of Syria and Cilicia from 11 BC until after the death of Herod. Now, proconsul =\= governor as far as I know.

(EDIT: Ignore this, I've found that it's bunk. I still don't believe how many unsupported claims can be made in such books.)

What I want to know is, could there have been a census in Judea before 6 AD? Judea was a client kingdom of the Roman Empire until 4 BC, then a tetrarchy until 6 AD. Did the Empire conduct censuses of client kingdoms and tetrarchies?
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Quote:The real question is why can't a supposedly smart god communicate effectively?
Hundreds of millions of people, many of them not Christian, disagree. Your question could have been rephrased, "Why doesn't god speak more clearly to me personally when I sincerely inquire?" and then we can debate your sincerity.

Quote:The editor (supposed written by Moses), lists the Edomite kings in the wrong order. No way to rationalize that.
I can think of two ways, at least.

Quote:Ezra and Nehemiah's census figures cannot both be correct.
You did know one has to do with rebuilding the Temple grounds and the City, and one with the City wall, different times with a population in flux due to waves of resettling the land?

Quote:Jebus can't BOTH have been silent at his (supposed trial that never happened), AND give a speech.
He certainly could have by not defending Himself against false charges, something that those present and later readers would take obvious note of/umbrage at, and then speaking when the high priest adjured Him with an oath, "Tell us plainly in the Name of YHVH, are you the Messiah?" prompting the true testimony.

Quote:Matthew quotes the wrong prophet : 27:9-10. It was really Zechariah, not Jeremiah.
Now you are asserting 1) Jeremiah didn't buy a field for silver, which he most certainly did and 2) a thousand secular and Christian Bible scholars before you missed your "obvious" contradiction.

I'm sorry but ones like these are just silly. I look each one up as they are pushed on me, but these did not require any further research at all.
03-09-2013, 01:12 PM
(03-09-2013 01:04 PM)PleaseJesus Wrote:  
Quote:The real question is why can't a supposedly smart god communicate effectively?
Hundreds of millions of people, many of them not Christian, disagree. Your question could have been rephrased, "Why doesn't god speak more clearly to me personally when I sincerely inquire?" and then we can debate your sincerity.

Quote:The editor (supposed written by Moses), lists the Edomite kings in the wrong order. No way to rationalize that.
I can think of two ways, at least.

Quote:Ezra and Nehemiah's census figures cannot both be correct.
You did know one has to do with rebuilding the Temple grounds and the City, and one with the City wall, different times with a population in flux due to waves of resettling the land?

Quote:Jebus can't BOTH have been silent at his (supposed trial that never happened), AND give a speech.
He certainly could have by not defending Himself against false charges, something that those present and later readers would take obvious note of/umbrage at, and then speaking when the high priest adjured Him with an oath, "Tell us plainly in the Name of YHVH, are you the Messiah?" prompting the true testimony.

Quote:Matthew quotes the wrong prophet : 27:9-10. It was really Zechariah, not Jeremiah.
Now you are asserting 1) Jeremiah didn't buy a field for silver, which he most certainly did and 2) a thousand secular and Christian Bible scholars before you missed your "obvious" contradiction.

I'm sorry but ones like these are just silly. I look each one up as they are pushed on me, but these did not require any further research at all.

As I said, one cannot win this stupid game. Lame rationalizations all. In fact every one of these contradictions has been attested to by scholars, and affirmed as valid. Just proof that Fundi Literalists will go to any length to prove their bullshit is literally true.

BTW, no Jew, on Passover weekend was ever involved in the trial of a peasant. Never. Not once. The High Priest had better things to do.There were no eyewitnesses, to report what happened. The accounts ARE contradictory, to any reasonable person. They made up the entire trial. It never happened. Herod's secretary who talks about far less important things, fails to even mention it. As do the Jewish historians who talked about all sorts of other less important things. Jebus never existed. He is a fiction. So sad. Too bad.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
03-09-2013, 01:16 PM
(03-09-2013 01:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(30-08-2013 07:57 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Jesus was either born when Herod the Great was alive prior to 4 BC OR when Publius Sulpicius Quirinius became Governor of Syria, 6 AD. He can not have been born twice.

There's a real simple answer for that one.

Jesus is a myth.

Done.Drinking Beverage

I'm not the one you have to convince of that, mon ami.
03-09-2013, 01:40 PM
Quote:In "Case for Christ" they claim that there was another Quirinius (surprise surprise) who was a proconsul of Syria and Cilicia from 11 BC until after the death of Herod.

Sadly for the jesus freaks we know who the Roman governors of Syria were. And we don't need their fucking bible to tell us.

Quote:25 – 23 BC Marcus Terentius Varro
23 – 13 BC Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa
13/12 – 10/9 BC Marcus Titius
9 – 7/6 BC Gaius Sentius Saturninus
7/6 – 4 BC Publius Quinctilius Varus
4 – 1 BC Unknown[1]
1 BC – 4 AD Gaius Julius Caesar Vipsanianus
4 – 5 Lucius Volusius Saturninus
6 – 12 Publius Sulpicius Quirinius
12 – 17 Quintus Caecilius Metellus Creticus Silanus
17 – 19 Gnaeus Calpurnius Piso
19 – 21 Gnaeus Sentius Saturninus
22 – 32 Lucius Aelius Lamia
32 – 35 Lucius Pomponius Flaccus
35 – 39 Lucius Vitellius

The only "blank" on the list of Roman governors of Syria is between 4 - 1 BC and there is an excellent chance that simply represents the prolongation of Varus' governorship as he was busy stomping out the revolts that sprung up in the aftermath of Herod the Great's death. Varus next turns up in Rome in order to marry the Emperor's great neice, Claudia Pulchra, and they had a son P. Quinctilius Varus the Younger in 1 AD. So, do the math and he seems to have been back in Rome and getting it on with the Lady Claudia by 1 BC.

By 1 AD, when Varus is relaxing back in Rome, we also know that P. Sulpicius Quirinius was attached to the staff of Gaius Julius Caesar Vipsanianus (Augustus' adopted grandson) when HE was governor of Syria. But the Romans were busy with Parthia and Armenia at this time. Varus had done a good job of putting down the revolts.