Not agreeing with my current job

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2014, 06:09 PM
Not agreeing with my current job
So for those that don't know me I'm currently in the U.S. Air Force. So I originally joined up for one of the more obvious reasons, to make a difference. Lately I've been in a bit of a difficult spot actually agreeing with the way things are done within the organization. Not small things that change upon command like what day's we where what uniform or off day's but more of our mission.

I don't know if you all keep up with the news on the Afghanistan war but there is this Major in the U.S. Army who basically got dishonorably discharged for his "affair" with a news reporter. What isn't shown is how much of a difference he made in the war over there. He was not just going in guns blazing like most jackasses want to do in today's military but was actually integrating into the local populous and winning the hearts and minds of the local people. Basically helping get them on our side and win the war with as few bullets as possible.

Now this next part is not fact just my personal opinion from what I see every day in the military. I honestly think that his superiors didn't like how bad they were making him look or got nervous that he was coming for their positions. For those that aren't in the military or ever served the promotion rate although frequent is very competitive. I digress though.

Along with this stories there are ton's of them like this that really just have me in disagreement with the way the military is thinking. Just today we had a change in command ceremony and during this they go over the outgoing commanders accomplishments while there. One of the things they pointed out numerous times was the amount of "enemy's" he'd help take off the battlefield. Blink Are they seriously so brazen to just disregard life in that way? I understand that yes sometimes it's needed in order to protect us from future attacks but to just say "Helped ensure the death of over *random number* enemy's" is pretty fucked up.

Another thing I've noticed is that although there are many atheist among the ranks of the military(most are usually in non-combat positions), it's still a heavily religious organization. Things like leading a prayer at most of our functions and such should not even happen seeing as we're a government funded entity.

I have about 3 years left on my tour and my degree is almost finished so I've decided to keep my head down. I have no problem finishing something I started but lately I've just been fed up with these types of things and needed to vent(seeing as doing that in my chain of command would get you in trouble). Feel free to share your thoughts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2014, 06:11 PM
RE: Not agreeing with my current job
Well you are trained to view life as less important. Part of dealing with combat I guess.

I'm not a big military fan myself.
30-06-2014, 06:23 PM
(30-06-2014 06:09 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So for those that don't know me I'm currently in the U.S. Air Force. So I originally joined up for one of the more obvious reasons, to make a difference. Lately I've been in a bit of a difficult spot actually agreeing with the way things are done within the organization. Not small things that change upon command like what day's we where what uniform or off day's but more of our mission.

I don't know if you all keep up with the news on the Afghanistan war but there is this Major in the U.S. Army who basically got dishonorably discharged for his "affair" with a news reporter. What isn't shown is how much of a difference he made in the war over there. He was not just going in guns blazing like most jackasses want to do in today's military but was actually integrating into the local populous and winning the hearts and minds of the local people. Basically helping get them on our side and win the war with as few bullets as possible.

Now this next part is not fact just my personal opinion from what I see every day in the military. I honestly think that his superiors didn't like how bad they were making him look or got nervous that he was coming for their positions. For those that aren't in the military or ever served the promotion rate although frequent is very competitive. I digress though.

Along with this stories there are ton's of them like this that really just have me in disagreement with the way the military is thinking. Just today we had a change in command ceremony and during this they go over the outgoing commanders accomplishments while there. One of the things they pointed out numerous times was the amount of "enemy's" he'd help take off the battlefield. Blink Are they seriously so brazen to just disregard life in that way? I understand that yes sometimes it's needed in order to protect us from future attacks but to just say "Helped ensure the death of over *random number* enemy's" is pretty fucked up.

Another thing I've noticed is that although there are many atheist among the ranks of the military(most are usually in non-combat positions), it's still a heavily religious organization. Things like leading a prayer at most of our functions and such should not even happen seeing as we're a government funded entity.

I have about 3 years left on my tour and my degree is almost finished so I've decided to keep my head down. I have no problem finishing something I started but lately I've just been fed up with these types of things and needed to vent(seeing as doing that in my chain of command would get you in trouble). Feel free to share your thoughts.

Keep working toward your degree and realize that a lot of military is playing the game. Getting a degree always has a price. The military BS is yours.

At least the Air Force usually has bases in decent areas, not the armpits of the US that seems to be where the Army sets up camp.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
30-06-2014, 09:32 PM
(30-06-2014 06:09 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  So for those that don't know me I'm currently in the U.S. Air Force. So I originally joined up for one of the more obvious reasons, to make a difference. Lately I've been in a bit of a difficult spot actually agreeing with the way things are done within the organization. Not small things that change upon command like what day's we where what uniform or off day's but more of our mission.

The part I bolded--it is not an obvious reason to me that joining the military is a great way to make a difference.

It is possible to make a difference in almost any career someone chooses. However it sounds like this is no longer something you can do with your chosen career. If you fundamentally disagree with the organization you are in, how can you continue in your course of action? Isn't there an obligation to serve once you complete any degree through the military?

I'm just asking since it seems like an awfully high price to pay to continue to be unhappy. When you have found yourself in a hole, the first step sometimes is to stop digging. Maybe you find the costs of changing directions too high, but if you fundamentally disagree with the organization you have signed onto, you are paying a very high price to stay where you are.
01-07-2014, 05:24 AM
{
(30-06-2014 09:32 PM)BryanS Wrote:  }
The part I bolded--it is not an obvious reason to me that joining the military is a great way to make a difference.

It is possible to make a difference in almost any career someone chooses. However it sounds like this is no longer something you can do with your chosen career. If you fundamentally disagree with the organization you are in, how can you continue in your course of action? Isn't there an obligation to serve once you complete any degree through the military?

I'm just asking since it seems like an awfully high price to pay to continue to be unhappy. When you have found yourself in a hole, the first step sometimes is to stop digging. Maybe you find the costs of changing directions too high, but if you fundamentally disagree with the organization you have signed onto, you are paying a very high price to stay where you are.

My apologies. What I meant was one of the more common reasons that you here people say is to make a difference and like you said that's why anyone does any kind of job.

As far as staying in I basically like what I do for the military just not the organization itself so I'm gaining more experience than opting out finishing my time in the Air Force Reserves(basically one week or a so a month). Also I'm finishing my degree while in so I can use my G.I. bill on my master's.

You do make a good point on the price being very high(i.e. deploying again). I guess I'm just looking to weigh my options at the moment.
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
01-07-2014, 08:33 AM
(30-06-2014 09:32 PM)BryanS Wrote:  

Being in the military does make a quantifiable difference, locally and internationally. Unlike all of the anti military rhetoric the liberal media likes to expound, we do a lot to support our local overseas communities. For example my command (aircraft carrier) once a month has the entire command shut down and we go out in large groups in a pre-organized community outreach where we mentor in schools, paint/repair schools, builds housing for the homeless etc. We do the same things overseas. The average military member is also higher educated then the average citizen. That higher education tends to make a better contributing impact when the military member reintegrates back into the civilian world post military.

I am not in the air force, and wasn't there, but I know in the Navy we don't glorify kills, it is unprofessional. We may say supported ground troops in "x" amount of missions but that would be as far as it would go.

his "fundamentally disagree with his organization" is his personal perspective and has no bearing on his obligation to complete his contract. If he is using TA (Tuition Assistance) there isn't an additional service obligation. If he was to do a commissioning program where they send you to school to complete your degree, and upon graduation you agree to serve "x" amount of years then that would of course have additional service tied to it.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
(01-07-2014 08:33 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  his "fundamentally disagree with his organization" is his personal perspective and has no bearing on his obligation to complete his contract. If he is using TA (Tuition Assistance) there isn't an additional service obligation. If he was to do a commissioning program where they send you to school to complete your degree, and upon graduation you agree to serve "x" amount of years then that would of course have additional service tied to it.

I didn't answer that question. Thanks for the input. I use TA so I don't have any obligation to complete my contract.
01-07-2014, 04:04 PM
When my son was in the armed forces he quickly learned "you see nothing, you know nothing".